'00 S4 w/Pirelli PZero Nero M+S - Question

Old April 19th 05, 02:28 PM
Carl Howarth

Default '00 S4 w/Pirelli PZero Nero M+S - Question

Hello all,

I just fitted my S4 with PZero Nero M+S tires last week. I researched the
tires, and Tirerack.com suggested these as the best performing all weather
tires. Based on reviews in all categories, theses tires SHOULD be better
than OEMs for handling, dry traction, noise, tire wear, etc. - in ALL
categories. I'm having some serious doubts....

I have about 600 miles on them, and I've found some interesting dynamics
with them in hard turns. Basically, when I set up in a turn hard, or try to
accelerate out, I am feeling some 'fighting' between the four corners of the
car. I can't explain if it is the traction/anti skid control kicking in, or
if the tires are flat out letting go. My question is this:

Are these tires truly performing better than the OEMs, and therefore I am
going faster and hence the need for the dynamic controls to activate?

-or-

Are these performing poorly and the 'fighting' I feel is each tire letting
go or the dynamic controls working to maintain traction?

It's not a confidence inspiring feeling, and I'm thinking of ditching these
tires. The OEMs had a much better feel in hard turns, but they would
totally lose control if there were 2 snowflakes on the road. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Carl

Old April 19th 05, 04:00 PM
Pete

"Carl Howarth" wrote
> Are these tires truly performing better than the OEMs, and therefore I am
> going faster and hence the need for the dynamic controls to activate?
>
> -or-
>
> Are these performing poorly and the 'fighting' I feel is each tire letting
> go or the dynamic controls working to maintain traction?

What were your OEM tires? If they were summer tires, then of course the
all-season Neros will not be as good as your OEM tires when it comes to dry
grip. On top of that, your OEM were probably worn out and hence offered
quicker steering response and more grip since there was very little tread
squirm.

Do you have ESP? Did you try switching it off to see if that's what's
causing the strange behavior during hard cornering?

> It's not a confidence inspiring feeling, and I'm thinking of ditching
> these tires. The OEMs had a much better feel in hard turns, but they
> would totally lose control if there were 2 snowflakes on the road. Any
> thoughts?

Well, Nero M&S isn't that great in the snow either. It's an all-season
alright, but geared mostly towards summer performance and that is achieved
at the expense of rather poor snow performance. Hopefully TR salesrep has
made that clear.

For best of both worlds, you really need two dedicated sets of tires.
Otherwise, you end up sacrificing performance, especially if you like to
drive "on the edge".

Cheers,

Pete

Old April 19th 05, 04:33 PM
Carl Howarth

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the response. The stocks were summer only Bridgestone Potenzas.
However, the 'rating' system at TR showed that the Pirellis beat (quite
handily) the Bridgestones in every category, including dry traction. That
is why I'm confused.

I'll disable the advanced dynamic controls and give it a go tonite.

Thanks again!
Carl

Old April 19th 05, 04:57 PM
Pete

"Carl Howarth" wrote
> However, the 'rating' system at TR showed that the Pirellis beat (quite
> handily) the Bridgestones in every category, including dry traction. That
> is why I'm confused.

The rating system on TR website can be confusing in that way. They should
clarify it somewhere if they haven't already.

You can only compare tires that are in the same CATEGORY, so let's say two
"max perf. summer" tires, but not a winter tire and a summer tire.
Otherwise you would come to a conclusion that many all season tires are
better in the snow than many dedicated winter tires.

Good luck next time I guess.

Cheers,

Pete

Old April 20th 05, 01:41 AM
Dave LaCourse

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 09:28:56 -0400, "Carl Howarth"
> wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I just fitted my S4 with PZero Nero M+S tires last week. I researched the
>tires, and Tirerack.com suggested these as the best performing all weather
>tires. Based on reviews in all categories, theses tires SHOULD be better
>than OEMs for handling, dry traction, noise, tire wear, etc. - in ALL
>categories. I'm having some serious doubts....

Where do you live? It's almost May and you put just so-so snow tires
on a performance car? Huh? If you needed to re-tire, why go to a
snow tire for summer use. Even an all season tire wouldn't be my
choice with a hot car like you have in the S4. If you want a snow
tire, go with Blizzacks or Nokias.

>I have about 600 miles on them, and I've found some interesting dynamics
>with them in hard turns. Basically, when I set up in a turn hard, or try to
>accelerate out, I am feeling some 'fighting' between the four corners of the
>car. I can't explain if it is the traction/anti skid control kicking in, or
>if the tires are flat out letting go. My question is this:
>
>Are these tires truly performing better than the OEMs, and therefore I am
>going faster and hence the need for the dynamic controls to activate?
>
>-or-
>
>Are these performing poorly and the 'fighting' I feel is each tire letting
>go or the dynamic controls working to maintain traction?

>It's not a confidence inspiring feeling, and I'm thinking of ditching these
>tires. The OEMs had a much better feel in hard turns, but they would
>totally lose control if there were 2 snowflakes on the road. Any thoughts?

Thouoghts? Yeah, I think you screwed up. Solution: Buy four new
wheels, not necessarily alloys, and put the snows on them. Use the
factory wheels for a good set of *summer* tires. You're trying to use
insulated galoshes on your feet in the summer time, when you should be
wearing a good pair of sneaks. Think about it.

Dave (whose RS6 has winter AND summer shoes)