Transmission isue with Audi Quattro

Old July 27th 08, 07:23 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Mark[_32_]

Default Transmission isue with Audi Quattro

I have a 2000 1.8 t Quatttro. 80,000 miles. Bought it used. Recently at
stops when I accelerate the engine revs but the car does not move. It rides
and shifts fine once I get going but at dead stops it sits, RPM's go up and
no movement. I understand Audi is infamous for this kind of issue. What
recourse do I have? Is this fixable or does it require a whole new tranny?

Audi has a closed transmission system correct? No way to add fluids?Assuming
it is a fluid issue.

Thanks

Mark

Old July 27th 08, 09:47 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

Mark

The tranny's can be serviced, but it is not a very simple process so
it's best to have a good independent european shop do it for you.
Audi claims their transmission fluid is "lifetime", but most of us who
have owned and worked on Audis for a while are aware that this is not
the case. However, it's not a simple drain-and-then-refill process,
so have someone who's worked on Audi's before do it.

As far as your car not moving - is your car a manual transmission?
Because the fact that your RPMs move but your car doesn't suggests you
need a new clutch. This would be the first thing you should look
into.

If you have a Tiptronic (automatic with "clutchless" shifting option),
then you may have a problem with your Quattro (all-wheel drive)
system. If a component of the drivetrain is malfunctioning, (because
all four wheels must move at the same time) your car won't move. With
the quattro system, either all four wheels move at the same time, or
none of them move at all. You might want to have your drivetrain
looked at, including axles, cv boots, cv joints, etc, looked at.

Hope this helps point you in the right direction.

Old July 28th 08, 02:14 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

I believe that there are two things I would want to do.
The first thing.................
The easiest, and less messy, is scanning for any transmission faults. Your
transmission might be in "Limp Mode" due to electrical problems either
outside of the transmission or inside of it. Not sure if this "LM" would
put the transmission into 3rd making it hard to accelerate from a stop and
then shift fine later though.

BUT you said that it shifts fine once the Audi is moving.
So maybe a solenoid is malfunctioning inside of the transmission and that
should have thrown a code and still allowed for some shifting. ;-)
Then it could also be either a fluid problem or a fluid pressure problem.
The filter/strainer might be clogged with debris making it difficult for the
pump to get a nice supply of fluid, or the fluid level is low or the pump is
weak. :-(

So the second thing I would check for is the color of the fluid and the
level of it. :-)

Finding a place that can actually & honestly service the Audi/VW
transmissions can be difficult so if you post your general location that may
help someone recommend a place.
The procedure should be similar to the Passats.....
http://www.taligentx.com/passat/maintenance/atfchange/
I know only ONE good place around Chicago that I would trust.

BTW I need to change the ATF in mine too! ;-)
--
later,
(One out of many daves)

Old July 28th 08, 01:24 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Mark[_32_]

Thank you for the info. I did fail to mention it is AWD Tiptronic
transmission.

Mark

Old September 11th 08, 05:55 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Michael[_14_]

this is a really "easy solve" problem )
i just passed my automatic transmission class and this is not fluid
problem!!!!!!! but still u need to change ur fluid every 30,000 miles
!!! manufacture recommends.
And also u dont have clutch(well u do have but its inside transmission
(clutch pack )) in your A.T. u have torque converter ..
I think u need to do transmission overhaul , it could be a problem with
some of the bands or something else... anyway u need to take a look
inside . if u have questions

--
Michael
Michael's Profile:

1993 Audi 90 CS NON-Quattro V6 - Transmission Fluid - BG ATF Product? [email protected] Audi 1 January 4th 08 07:23 PM
AUDI TT QUATTRO Gerky Gatzos Audi 5 July 23rd 07 05:55 PM
96 a-6 quattro transmission question Rob Alward Audi 2 June 1st 06 03:33 AM
Audi A4 2.5 TDi Quattro Jim Audi 0 October 20th 05 09:37 AM
Audi Quattro at Deutschland Rally and Audi in LMES photos maggy p Audi 0 August 24th 04 03:27 PM