Lets talk about radar/laser detectors

Old May 2nd 07, 02:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Garth Almgren

Default Lets talk about radar/laser detectors

Around 4/27/2007 12:01 PM, wrote:

> This is my first real summer with my 89 5.0 and one of the toys I
> wanna get is a wireless (since they dont make hardwired anymore)
> mountable/hideable radar detector.

Whaddya mean they don't make hardwired detectors anymore?

http://www.valentine1.com

> Does it really pay off to have a detector these days? Radar or laser?

Whether or not it pays off really depends on your style of driving. If
you're driving like a ticket magnet, a detector is not going to help. If
you usually "go with the flow" and just want the detector to avoid being
one of the fish in the barrel, it may help.

> After a google search it seems like the Whistler de3500 is my best
> option.

I'd say a Valentine One is your best option, but hey, it's your money.

> Is it true that having a laser detector doesnt really help cause it
> has to hit you to be detected and then its too late.

Yes and no. It is possible to detect laser that has refracted off
traffic ahead of you and get a warning ahead of time, but the conditions
do have to be good for that to happen. Most of the time, if your
detector goes off on laser, it is indeed already too late.

--
/ Garth - '83 GL V6stang Hatch <Former MW #7> \
| My V6stang: http://www.v6stang.com/v6stang |
Old May 2nd 07, 03:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson

Anymore I think they are a waste of money. With the propagation of
laser based and "instant on" units you don't get any early warning that
lets you slow down before they read your speed. Also, the laser beam is
so small that it only baths a small portion of your car.

The best way to avoid a ticket is to not speed or carefully pick your
spots to speed through. If I am on a clear, open stretch of road where
there are no places for a police officer to hide I feel comfortable
speeding or if I am running with a pack of cars that are speeding
(happens a lot on I-95). Otherwise, I just stay 5-10 mph over the
posted speed.

Old May 2nd 07, 05:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson

Here in the land of wasteful spending (aka Washington, DC area) most
cops use laser detectors. Also, the detectors are illegal in Virginia
and DC. Many of the State Troopers have radar detector detectors. I
won't even get into the photo cameras that seem to be multiplying like
rabbits around here.

Old May 3rd 07, 05:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox

Michael Johnson wrote:
> Anymore I think they are a waste of money. With the propagation of
> laser based and "instant on" units you don't get any early warning that
> lets you slow down before they read your speed. Also, the laser beam is
> so small that it only baths a small portion of your car.

They work fine if you know how to use them. Being the first in the
pack is not the way to do it. The V1 catches instant on and pop.

> The best way to avoid a ticket is to not speed or carefully pick your
> spots to speed through. If I am on a clear, open stretch of road where
> there are no places for a police officer to hide I feel comfortable
> speeding or if I am running with a pack of cars that are speeding
> (happens a lot on I-95). Otherwise, I just stay 5-10 mph over the
> posted speed.
>
> wrote:
>> This is my first real summer with my 89 5.0 and one of the toys I
>> wanna get is a wireless (since they dont make hardwired anymore)
>> mountable/hideable radar detector.
>>
>> Does it really pay off to have a detector these days? Radar or laser?
>>
>> After a google search it seems like the Whistler de3500 is my best
>> option.
>>
>> Is it true that having a laser detector doesnt really help cause it
>> has to hit you to be detected and then its too late.
>>
>> Looking for stories or opinions on this matter.

--
"Yes, it is a good thing you are handy, as
you clearly suck at being smart." - Herb
Old May 3rd 07, 05:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson

WindsorFox wrote:
> Michael Johnson wrote:
>> Anymore I think they are a waste of money. With the propagation of
>> laser based and "instant on" units you don't get any early warning
>> that lets you slow down before they read your speed. Also, the laser
>> beam is so small that it only baths a small portion of your car.

> They work fine if you know how to use them. Being the first in the
> pack is not the way to do it. The V1 catches instant on and pop.

If you are not willing to be the first in line then you are basically
running with the pack. That is inherently safer and what I tend to do
most of the time. I don't really need a detector for this strategy to work.

Old May 4th 07, 04:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox

Michael Johnson wrote:
> WindsorFox wrote:
>> Michael Johnson wrote:
>>> Anymore I think they are a waste of money. With the propagation of
>>> laser based and "instant on" units you don't get any early warning
>>> that lets you slow down before they read your speed. Also, the laser
>>> beam is so small that it only baths a small portion of your car.

>> They work fine if you know how to use them. Being the first in the
>> pack is not the way to do it. The V1 catches instant on and pop.

> If you are not willing to be the first in line then you are basically
> running with the pack. That is inherently safer and what I tend to do
> most of the time. I don't really need a detector for this strategy to
> work.

I could probably do without one as well, but I like having it in
case and besides, I like gadgets.

--
"Overruled: There is no reason to surmise that a
cranial appendage does not exist." - Gym "Granted, the contents of said
Old May 4th 07, 03:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson

WindsorFox wrote:
> Michael Johnson wrote:
>> WindsorFox wrote:
>>>
>>> They work fine if you know how to use them. Being the first in the
>>> pack is not the way to do it. The V1 catches instant on and pop.

>> If you are not willing to be the first in line then you are basically
>> running with the pack. That is inherently safer and what I tend to do
>> most of the time. I don't really need a detector for this strategy to
>> work.
>>

> I could probably do without one as well, but I like having it in case
> and besides, I like gadgets.

It's a moot point for me, here in Virginia. Radar detectors are illegal.
Old May 5th 07, 07:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox

Michael Johnson wrote:
> WindsorFox wrote:
>> Michael Johnson wrote:

>>> If you are not willing to be the first in line then you are basically
>>> running with the pack. That is inherently safer and what I tend to
>>> do most of the time. I don't really need a detector for this
>>> strategy to work.
>>>

>> I could probably do without one as well, but I like having it in
>> case and besides, I like gadgets.

> It's a moot point for me, here in Virginia. Radar detectors are
> illegal.

And I bet the first time that state law were to be challenged by the
Federal law that says states and local municipalities shall not
interfere with the right of a lawful citizen to erect antennas to
receive the airwaves, the airwaves belong to the people; havoc would be
wreaked!

Old May 5th 07, 08:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson

WindsorFox wrote:
> Michael Johnson wrote:
>> WindsorFox wrote:

>>> I could probably do without one as well, but I like having it in
>>> case and besides, I like gadgets.

>> It's a moot point for me, here in Virginia. Radar detectors are
>> illegal.

> And I bet the first time that state law were to be challenged by the
> Federal law that says states and local municipalities shall not
> interfere with the right of a lawful citizen to erect antennas to
> receive the airwaves, the airwaves belong to the people; havoc would be
> wreaked!

It has been this way for years and years here, as in DC. They recently
overturned the gun ban in DC so maybe the detector ban is next. I'm not
holding my breath through.
Old May 6th 07, 04:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox

Michael Johnson wrote:
> WindsorFox wrote:
>> Michael Johnson wrote:

>>> It's a moot point for me, here in Virginia. Radar detectors are
>>> illegal.

>> And I bet the first time that state law were to be challenged by the
>> Federal law that says states and local municipalities shall not
>> interfere with the right of a lawful citizen to erect antennas to
>> receive the airwaves, the airwaves belong to the people; havoc would
>> be wreaked!

> It has been this way for years and years here, as in DC. They recently
> overturned the gun ban in DC so maybe the detector ban is next. I'm not
> holding my breath through.

Well there is an federal law that ham operators can use if
neighborhood covenants prevent you from putting up an antenna. It also
covers TV and satellite antennas as well, it *might* be able to be used
on the detector law as well.

--
"The problem is almost certainly a big spider's nest. I
can't wash my hair in the sink anymore, because of the

Any FAQ about radar detectors ? Sudhir Driving 5 August 1st 06 02:08 PM
FS: 2 Laser SWS Radar Detectors w/mounting brackets - $50 Cartrivision1 Driving 0 July 9th 06 07:46 PM
Are Radar Detectors Useless? Bacon BMW 47 June 5th 06 05:28 PM
Radar Detectors Halady Corvette 8 January 24th 05 12:27 AM
Radar Detectors Max General 1 September 17th 04 09:10 PM