Lets talk about radar/laser detectors

Old April 27th 07, 08:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default Lets talk about radar/laser detectors

This is my first real summer with my 89 5.0 and one of the toys I
wanna get is a wireless (since they dont make hardwired anymore)
mountable/hideable radar detector.

Does it really pay off to have a detector these days? Radar or laser?

After a google search it seems like the Whistler de3500 is my best
option.

Is it true that having a laser detector doesnt really help cause it
has to hit you to be detected and then its too late.

Looking for stories or opinions on this matter.

Old April 27th 07, 10:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
nospam

My dad always uses a radar/laser detector and ALWAYS gets tickets!
I won't waste money on one. They still use the ol' "bear in the air/eye in
the sky" trick.
If I'm on a long trip and I need to make good time, I bring my CB radio. The
truckers always communicate the locations of law enforcement, and I haven't
had a speeding ticket or even been pulled over in years, (even though I
"may" have deserved one). I've not had a radar detector since 1985.

oups.com...

Old April 28th 07, 01:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_1_]

"Ashton Crusher" > wrote in message

> If you read the traffic and watch how you drive and where you
> speed you can get by without a detector MOST of the time.
> The detector is just another tool that can help but it's not the only
> tool.

There's a black Mustang up ahead, and he must be doing about 90mph. You,
you're a left-lane campout whom he just passed on the right, driving your
SUV at about 70-75.

As you crest a hill, you can see the black Mustang still in the right lane,
but now doing not much more than speed limit + 10. You eventually pull up
alongside and move past him, and you must be wondering why he's now just
poking along.

Then you see the state trooper parked across the median and overreact,
slowing quickly to less than 60. The Mustang continues on, purring by at 70.

The Mustang knows where the speed traps are, and the Mustang knows that no
state trooper is going to pull out and chase him for doing 70mph.

Throw away your so-called "radar detectors" and just follow the Mustang's
lead. No charge.

dwight
www.tfrog93.com

Old April 30th 07, 02:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Spike

On 27 Apr 2007 12:01:23 -0700, wrote:

>This is my first real summer with my 89 5.0 and one of the toys I
>wanna get is a wireless (since they dont make hardwired anymore)
>mountable/hideable radar detector.
>
>Does it really pay off to have a detector these days? Radar or laser?
>
>After a google search it seems like the Whistler de3500 is my best
>option.
>
>Is it true that having a laser detector doesnt really help cause it
>has to hit you to be detected and then its too late.
>
>Looking for stories or opinions on this matter.

Radar and laser are both line of sight. The distance they cover is
important. I've never owned a detector, but I have sure used the
units. So, here is my take on the subject.

For the most part, we watch for the driver who is weaving in and out
or passing everything in sight, trying to get ahead of the pack. As
long as the pack flows smoothly, it's generally ignored. When I am
traveling I generally flow with the pack, and keep an eye on the
truckers. Those good ol' boys know where the bears are.

As good as detectors are.... they are illegal in many jurisdictions
and just having one visible is a citeable offense (and often grounds
for confiscation). And don't forget that in many out in the middle of
nowhere zones, it's the aircraft you need to watch for... they pace
vehicles (that's what those white lines along the road are for) and
radio ahead. Doesn't matter if you're going the speed limit or not
when you finally get to where the patrol car is located. You are
already nailed. For those in turnpike country, it's fine until you
exit through a toll booth and the computer logs your time and
automatically computes your speed from point A to point B. ZAP!
Then there are the cameras which have become so popular. They can be
set up anywhere as a friend of mine visiting Arizona from Florida
learned the hard way. The ticket was waiting for her when she arrived
home, including the photo of her license plate with the speed date
time etc.

Don't forget... when you are stopped, attitude means everything.
Many times I would approach a driver with the intention of giving a
break on the speed, and meet up with total A$$holehood. Not only
didn't the driver get a break, I added whatever else I could find
(the worse the attitude, the more I addeed), and took my sweet time
doing so. (I recall one guy who was fidgeting and when I questioned
him, he admitted he was in a hurry to get home to his Preparation H. A
5 minute ticket took 20 minutes.)

Your detectors are good (some far better than others) but it comes
down to accepting that you broke the law and if caught, be willing to
pay the fine.

If you think you got a bad deal.... as I did entering Utah when I was
passed by a Porsche who must have had tower clearance. A patrol in the
median nailed me. Could it have been my California plates and the
Porsche's Utah plates? I don't really know. But, I was polite,
accepted the cite and got on my way. When I got home, I mailed in the
$50 fine along with a letter which described the situation. I
mentioned that the office was very professional and that I didn't feel
he "intentionally" singled out the out of state plate. The court
retained the money... BUT.... no points were assessed. As many know,
the issuing state can be notified of points assessed and put them on
your record. This can raise your insurance rates. So $50 and no points
was worth the effort to write.

BUCKLE UP! We hate to have to scrape up the remains. And Lord help you
if a child dies and you survive.
Old April 30th 07, 09:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Paul[_2_]

at 29 Apr 2007, Spike ] wrote in
:

I have an el cheapo Cobra but I use it as an additional tool, not an
oracle that will tell me if I can break the speed limit or not. It has
saved my bacon a couple of times in the last 2 years. But I still keep a
close eye and trust my senses. I generally flow with the speed of
traffic, not trying to be at the head of the pack.

What I do like is that, expecially on the backroads, it'll warn me if a
LEO has someone pulled over ahead of me. As they generally leave their
radar on in those cases. Giving me time to adjust speed and plent y of
warning time as to cars on the side of the road. Also the newer emergency
vehicles and schoolbuses appear to have (at least here in the Tampa Bay,
FL area) something aboard that sets it off. Warning me of like a
schoolbus stopping ahead to let off kids.

Having driven in Europe most of my life were speed camera's are thick as
fleas and 3Km over the limit will get you a ticket, I must say that the
more relaxed attitude in the US definately is better. YOu spend way to
much time in Europe watching your speedo to avoid going over (cruise
is/was not as common there as here) the limit rather than watching the
traffic and the vehicles around you.

--
_ 2005 Mustang V6 Convertible (Mineral Grey)
|_| Member Modern Mustangs of North America (MMNA)

Any FAQ about radar detectors ? Sudhir Driving 5 August 1st 06 02:08 PM
FS: 2 Laser SWS Radar Detectors w/mounting brackets - $50 Cartrivision1 Driving 0 July 9th 06 07:46 PM
Are Radar Detectors Useless? Bacon BMW 47 June 5th 06 05:28 PM
Radar Detectors Halady Corvette 8 January 24th 05 12:27 AM
Radar Detectors Max General 1 September 17th 04 09:10 PM