increas trailer towing for a6 Quatro wagon

Old May 6th 07, 05:48 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
ramjet44

Default increas trailer towing for a6 Quatro wagon

I need to increase the above for a 96 model. I noticed in the owners manual
that with a two wheel trailer this model is rated for 2000 Lb trailer. If
its a four wheel trailer you can pull 3500 Lbs.

The trailer I have is 2 wheel and the all up weight of trailer and boat is
3500 Lbs.

How can I increase the towing capacity of my Audi to 3500 Lbs (2 wheel
Trailer). I assime the issue is tongue weight. Right? Does someoner make
air struts?

Old May 6th 07, 06:26 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Kevin McMurtrie

In article
outautos.com>,
"ramjet44" > wrote:

> I need to increase the above for a 96 model. I noticed in the owners manual
> that with a two wheel trailer this model is rated for 2000 Lb trailer. If
> its a four wheel trailer you can pull 3500 Lbs.
>
> The trailer I have is 2 wheel and the all up weight of trailer and boat is
> 3500 Lbs.
>
> How can I increase the towing capacity of my Audi to 3500 Lbs (2 wheel
> Trailer). I assime the issue is tongue weight. Right? Does someoner make
> air struts?

It could be a problem with stability on uneven roads, not just static
weight.
Old May 6th 07, 06:52 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
daytripper

On Sun, 06 May 2007 10:26:38 -0700, Kevin McMurtrie >
wrote:

>In article
boutautos.com>,
> "ramjet44" > wrote:
>
>> I need to increase the above for a 96 model. I noticed in the owners manual
>> that with a two wheel trailer this model is rated for 2000 Lb trailer. If
>> its a four wheel trailer you can pull 3500 Lbs.
>>
>> The trailer I have is 2 wheel and the all up weight of trailer and boat is
>> 3500 Lbs.
>>
>> How can I increase the towing capacity of my Audi to 3500 Lbs (2 wheel
>> Trailer). I assime the issue is tongue weight. Right? Does someoner make
>> air struts?

>It could be a problem with stability on uneven roads, not just static
>weight.

Not to mention braking capabilities.

Seems to me one should always put 10% of the towed weight on the ball. I'm
wondering if the owner's manual makes the assumption the tandem axle trailer
has brakes...

/daytripper
'00 s4 6spd
Old May 6th 07, 08:11 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
wtrplnet

"daytripper" > wrote in message
news
> On Sun, 06 May 2007 10:26:38 -0700, Kevin McMurtrie
> >
> wrote:
>
>>In article
aboutautos.com>,
>> "ramjet44" > wrote:
>>
>>> I need to increase the above for a 96 model. I noticed in the owners
>>> manual
>>> that with a two wheel trailer this model is rated for 2000 Lb trailer.
>>> If
>>> its a four wheel trailer you can pull 3500 Lbs.
>>>
>>> The trailer I have is 2 wheel and the all up weight of trailer and boat
>>> is
>>> 3500 Lbs.
>>>
>>> How can I increase the towing capacity of my Audi to 3500 Lbs (2 wheel
>>> Trailer). I assime the issue is tongue weight. Right? Does someoner make
>>> air struts?

>>It could be a problem with stability on uneven roads, not just static
>>weight.

> Not to mention braking capabilities.
>
> Seems to me one should always put 10% of the towed weight on the ball. I'm
> wondering if the owner's manual makes the assumption the tandem axle
> trailer
> has brakes...
>
> /daytripper
> '00 s4 6spd

Just a guess, that you'd spend more upgrading the car, even if that's
possible, than just buying a four wheel trailer.
Alan

Old May 6th 07, 09:41 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Wolfgang Pawlinetz

On Sun, 06 May 2007 12:48:40 -0400, "ramjet44" >
wrote:

>I need to increase the above for a 96 model. I noticed in the owners manual
>that with a two wheel trailer this model is rated for 2000 Lb trailer. If
>its a four wheel trailer you can pull 3500 Lbs.
>
>The trailer I have is 2 wheel and the all up weight of trailer and boat is
>3500 Lbs.
>
>How can I increase the towing capacity of my Audi to 3500 Lbs (2 wheel
>Trailer). I assime the issue is tongue weight. Right? Does someoner make
>air struts?

Are you sure the manual was referring to a two wheel and four wheel
_trailer_?

Normally Audi rates their cars differently for towing for Frontwheel
drive and Quattro.

As far as load on the hook is concerned, also that should be part of
the manual.

IIRC my A6 Avant FWD can pull something like 3500lbs legally.

Regards

Wolfgang