156 1.8 36,000 service question

Old February 24th 05, 02:36 PM
Joe Fox

Default 156 1.8 36,000 service question

Hi folks,
Just been on to my dealer again concerning a problem I have with my 2000
1.8 TS 156.

The workshop manual says that the spark plugs should be inspected at 36,000
miles and replaced at 60,000.
Now my dealer says that inspection involves a visual inspection which
consists of taking the cover off and looking at the spark plugs and saying -
yep they look ok.
In previous services with other marques a visual inspection meant removing
the plugs, having a look at them and replacing them.
Any ideas?
Joe

Old February 24th 05, 05:24 PM
Dave Savage

Interesting how the rules change...

When I got my 2.0 TS 156 back in '98, there was no mention anywhere of
checking the plugs - the service book just said "change at 60k miles / 60
months". I had mine changed at 60 months - no problems before then.

"Taking the cover off" - I would have thought that "inspecting" would at
least require taking the plugs out.

Your dealer isn't an approved Alfa dealer by any chance (or am I just being
cynical) ??

Old February 24th 05, 05:48 PM
Joe Fox

"Dave Savage" > wrote in message
> Interesting how the rules change...
>
> When I got my 2.0 TS 156 back in '98, there was no mention anywhere of
> checking the plugs - the service book just said "change at 60k miles / 60
> months". I had mine changed at 60 months - no problems before then.
>
> "Taking the cover off" - I would have thought that "inspecting" would at
> least require taking the plugs out.
>
> Your dealer isn't an approved Alfa dealer by any chance (or am I just
> being cynical) ??

Funny you should mention that and funny that the spark plug fell out of the
engine 3000 miles after the 36,000 mile service when they only 'visually
inspected' the plugs by looking down at them from above and how when they
took the spark plug out for the cambelt change they didnt do anything else.
They have asked that an independent assessor assess the car to see what the
damage was done. Sorry I'm not in a great mood at the minute ;-) How much
will it take for them to say that the damage was caused by a spark plug
coming loose. (the plug didnt fail as they were able to replace it and
tighten it up again).

10 minutes today on the phone as they tried to explain to me it wasnt their
fault. I told them it wasnt me they had to convince but rather the judge in
the small claims court as after all it is up to them to prove they didnt
cause the damage.

When I mentioned I was disabled and a photojournalist and this would make a
good story, they went ballistic. Now all I need is a photo of me on crutches
looking sadly at the open bonnet of a 156. Now where am I going to get a
picture of that?

Needless to say I'm not best pleased with a car I rely on to get about and
cant really drive. (and this is the garage that when reinstalling my
dashboard put the radio back in upside down - need I say any more).

Wee letter to Alfa as well I think.
Joe

Old February 24th 05, 09:40 PM
Pete

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 17:48:17 -0000, "Joe Fox"
>, wrote:

>When I mentioned I was disabled and a photojournalist and this would make a
>good story, they went ballistic. Now all I need is a photo of me on crutches
>looking sadly at the open bonnet of a 156. Now where am I going to get a
>picture of that?

I have a camera and a pair of crutches that you are welcome to borrow.

Pete
--

156 2.0 TS (2001) - Proteo Rosso (his)
147 2.0 TS (2002) - Gem Green (her's)
Old February 24th 05, 11:54 PM
alfistagj

Which cover do the mean? The bonnet??
I guess they mean all the plastic that is nowaday camouflaging the engine.
Then, why bother doing all that work to only take a look at the plugs. Just
to see how nice they look?
I would take them out and look at the electrode and if they are oily, grey
or whatever.
But, why the bother.
Only thing in the service manual about the plugs is replacing them at
100,000km/60,000mi
Absolutely no mention about even looking at them earlier.
--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)

"Joe Fox" > schreef in bericht

Old February 25th 05, 01:55 AM
Joe Fox

"alfistagj" > wrote in message
. ..
> Which cover do the mean? The bonnet??
> I guess they mean all the plastic that is nowaday camouflaging the engine.
> Then, why bother doing all that work to only take a look at the plugs.
> Just to see how nice they look?
> I would take them out and look at the electrode and if they are oily, grey
> or whatever.
> But, why the bother.
> Only thing in the service manual about the plugs is replacing them at
> 100,000km/60,000mi
> Absolutely no mention about even looking at them earlier.
> --
> Ciao from Holland
> AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)
> Rosso Radicofani GT 2.0JTS
> Golden Montreal 1428700 (1973/4)

Well according to their managing director
'we advised that the spark plugs on your vehicle are not due for routine
replacement until 60,000 miles or five years and under the Manufacturer's
Programme are not scheduled for routine inspection until 36,000 miles'

Of course that is when I pointed out that the last service was 36,000 miles
and their sales advisor at the time had advised me that they had looked at
the spark plugs and that they were ok.

The service manual only mentions replacement of the spark plugs, it doesnt
mention inspection of spark plugs. Of course the service manual also
recommends changing the timing belt at 72,000 as well but it is now changed
at 36,000.

Still will be interesting to see what the court makes of it.

Thanks for the offer of the camera and the crutches pete but I have a few
cameras myself ;-) and unfortunately a couple of sets of crutches as well.

Old February 25th 05, 09:56 AM
Dave Savage

Joe,

Would you like to share the name of the dealership with us - at least your
fellow alfisti will know to avoid them ... ??

Dave S 156 2.0 SP2 since 1998 :>))

Old February 25th 05, 01:28 PM
Joe Fox

"Dave Savage" > wrote in message
> Joe,
>
> Would you like to share the name of the dealership with us - at least your
> fellow alfisti will know to avoid them ... ??
>
> Dave S 156 2.0 SP2 since 1998 :>))

Well I wouldnt want to get anyone into trouble but as there is only one main
dealer in Belfast, it wouldnt take a genius to work it out.
I've arranged a meeting with them next weds morning - nothing like dragging
it out - more than a month after the original fault.
Patience is wearing a bit thin and fingers are itching to get typing those
articles.
Joe
http://www.joefoxphoto.co.uk

Old February 25th 05, 01:55 PM
Joe Fox

Just off the phone with Alfa UK customer service.

Strange phone call. They asked if it was to do with the stories in the press
about requiring a timing belt change at 36k instead of as in the manual.
They said that they had heard the stories and were trying to trace the
source as they said they knew nothing about it.
I told them my dealer had recommended and indeed changed the belt at 36k.

They were very interested.

I'll let you know how I get on.
Joe

Old February 25th 05, 03:46 PM
alfistagj

The 36000mi/60000km/3yr in stead of 60000mi/100000km/5yr is, as far as I
know not yet a UK "rule".
It is in The Netherlands sincs August 2000 . Official reason is the specific
use of the cars in The Netherlands (short drives, a lot of traffic jams)
This is now even officially mentioned in my new owners manual of my GT
2.0JTS!!
--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)
Rosso Radicofani GT 2.0JTS
Golden Montreal 1428700 (1973/4)

"Joe Fox" > schreef in bericht
> Just off the phone with Alfa UK customer service.
>
> Strange phone call. They asked if it was to do with the stories in the
> press about requiring a timing belt change at 36k instead of as in the
> manual.
> They said that they had heard the stories and were trying to trace the
> source as they said they knew nothing about it.
> I told them my dealer had recommended and indeed changed the belt at 36k.
>
> They were very interested.
>
> I'll let you know how I get on.
> Joe

Questions on 30,000 mile service Jim Y. Jeep 25 January 31st 05 10:45 PM
Service David A Smith Alfa Romeo 4 October 19th 04 03:36 PM
BMW service lights in the UK spammy BMW 3 September 18th 04 06:55 PM