Merry Christmas! OBDII Android/iOS freeware recommendations

Old January 2nd 19, 12:27 AM posted to comp.mobile.ipad,comp.mobile.android,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
SMS

Default Merry Christmas! OBDII Android/iOS freeware recommendations

On 1/1/2019 7:45 AM, Jolly Roger wrote:

<snip>

> OBD Fusion is rated 4.7 out of 5 by 4820 people on the iOS App Store.

Don't you love the footnote on their web site: "Generic ELM327 Bluetooth
adapters are not compatible with OBD Fusion for iOS. This is a
limitiation of iOS, not OBD Fusion."

But it does look like a good app. Glad to see that 4820 users have rated
it, and that it got such a high rating. OTOH, Torque Pro has a 4.5
rating, and 55,575 ratings and more than a million downloads. Could be
because OBD Fusion is more than 2x the price. $5 seems to be the price
point where people will not think about the cost of an app.

Still wondering why iOS doesn't allow the Bluetooth Serial Port Profile
(SPP). SPP is used by a huge number of industrial devices which can't
have apps on iOS which is a shame.
Old January 2nd 19, 12:40 AM posted to comp.mobile.ipad,comp.mobile.android,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
nospam[_4_]

In article >, sms
> wrote:

> Still wondering why iOS doesn't allow the Bluetooth Serial Port Profile
> (SPP).

because spp is obsolete.

bluetooth 4/le is *much* easier to use, both for users and developers,
as well as being faster and more reliable.

> SPP is used by a huge number of industrial devices which can't
> have apps on iOS which is a shame.

actually, very few.

and if those manufacturers updated their hardware to bluetooth le, they
likely wouldn't need to write an app since bluetooth le has numerous
standard characteristics that are *already* natively supported by ios.

as i said, spp is obsolete.
Old January 2nd 19, 06:27 PM posted to comp.mobile.ipad,comp.mobile.android,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
nospam[_4_]

In article >, Jolly Roger
> wrote:

> > Glad to see that 4820 users have rated it, and that it got such a
> > high rating. OTOH, Torque Pro has a 4.5 rating, and 55,575 ratings
> > and more than a million downloads.

> And yet still has a lower rating. : ) Not that I care about your little
> ****ing contest. The point is despite your false claim, there *are*
> quality OBD apps for iOS.

quite a few.

a search for obd on the ios app store returns more than 300 hits.

there is no shortage of obd apps.
Old January 2nd 19, 06:46 PM posted to comp.mobile.ipad,comp.mobile.android,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
nospam[_4_]

In article >, Jolly Roger

> >> And yet still has a lower rating. : ) Not that I care about your little
> >> ****ing contest. The point is despite your false claim, there *are*
> >> quality OBD apps for iOS.

> > quite a few.
> >
> > a search for obd on the ios app store returns more than 300 hits.
> >
> > there is no shortage of obd apps.

> And no shortage of OBD Bluetooth adapters that work just fine with those
> iOS apps. It's almost as if sms is blowing hot air. #SHOCKER

not almost. it's what he does.
Old January 2nd 19, 07:03 PM posted to comp.mobile.ipad,comp.mobile.android,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
arlen holder

On 2 Jan 2019 17:09:27 GMT, Jolly Roger wrote:

> If you can't afford $9.99, you should probably ask for a raise.

I love when Jolly Roger posts because he is the epitome of an iOS user!
*Jolly Roger literally enjoys iOS' astronomical overall cost of ownership!*

In fact, when it comes time for "logical argument", the main argument Jolly
Roger displays is that if you can't afford to pay twice as much for half
the performance, then you shouldn't be on iOS in the first place.

That's why I _love_ when Jolly Roger posts for all iOS users!

I love when Jolly Roger writes because he can't hide his true feelings.
He's the PERFECT example of the thought process of the average iOS user!

Jolly Roger clearly has his iOS religious convictions.
Of that, there is no doubt.

*Yet, none of Jolly Roger's arguments ever stand up to logical scrutiny.*
His _only_ argument is that the less-functional app is twice the price!

And he shoves that twice-the-price for half-the-performance in sms' face.
As if paying twice as much for half the functionality is a badge of honor!

I LOVE when Jolly Roger posts!
I really do.

I'm serious.
He can't hide his true feelings.

*Jolly Roger _enjoys_ iOS' astronomical overall cost of ownership!*