Hot/Cold Needle needle-winter time problem.

Old August 25th 05, 12:30 AM
2forgetmenot

Default Hot/Cold Needle needle-winter time problem.

Maybe you guys can help me with this before winter gets here!!!!!

in the winter i start my car to warm about 5-10 min before i start
driving. the thermostat needle (i guess) moves from cold to the middle,
so assume it is ready to drive. i will start driving and in about 5
minutes after i start driving the needle starts to slowly move back down
to the cold area and once it reaches the cold setting again, my car will
down shift and the rpms jump up and the engine is roaring very loudly. i
know this is hurting the engine. i have talked to several people, but no
one seems to know what's wrong. i checked at the auto parts store and
they had a chart of parts listed and explaining each part's function. i
read about a air flow sensor (or something like that) that sounds like it
might be or contribute to the problem i am experiencing. my next step is
to go to the dealer and let them charge me hundreds to figure this one
out! but may you guys can help first!Thanks!

if someone can help maybe you can talk with me on the chat line, if you
have additional questions.

Old August 25th 05, 01:17 AM
DanO

What kind of car? Just want to make sure you've got a Miata. It sounds to
me like your Temperature Gauge's needle in the car is dropping because your
Thermostat (not the gauge) is either stuck open, or is the wrong
temperatures setting.

The thermostat (a temperature sensitive valve) in an engine cooling system
is usually closed when an engine is cold (i.e. not at operating
temperature.) By staying closed, it basically causes the coolant to bypass
the radiator, thereby allowing the engine to heat up quickly. Once the
engine gets up to temp, the valve begins to open allowing the radiator to
become part of the cooling loop, and thereby preventing the car from
overheating. If the engine cools down too much, the valve will close again,
and thus keep the engine at the proper temperature.

Your car seems to have a thermostat that is stuck open, and thus allows the
radiator to overcool the engine during winter months. It is a cheap part,
and is pretty easy to change out.

Hope this helps,

DanO

lkaboutautos.com...

Old August 25th 05, 02:36 AM
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
"DanO" > wrote:

> Your car seems to have a thermostat that is stuck open, and thus allows the
> radiator to overcool the engine during winter months.

I agree, that's what it sounds like to me. If you can't change it
yourself, any shop or gas station mechanic can do it in well under an
hour. Tell them you're willing to pay for a genuine Mazda part, not a
cheap generic thermostat. There's a worthwhile difference.

---
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old August 25th 05, 02:48 AM
Frank Berger

"2forgetmenot" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> Maybe you guys can help me with this before winter gets here!!!!!
>
> in the winter i start my car to warm about 5-10 min before i start
> driving.

I realize this is not what you're looking for, but this not necessary,
therefore a waste of fuel.

the thermostat needle (i guess) moves from cold to the middle,
> so assume it is ready to drive.

It was ready to drive after a few seconds.

i will start driving and in about 5
> minutes after i start driving the needle starts to slowly move back down
> to the cold area and once it reaches the cold setting again, my car will
> down shift and the rpms jump up and the engine is roaring very loudly. i
> know this is hurting the engine.

Probably not.

i have talked to several people,

Were any of them mechanics?

> but no
> one seems to know what's wrong. i checked at the auto parts store and
> they had a chart of parts listed and explaining each part's function. i
> read about a air flow sensor (or something like that) that sounds like it
> might be or contribute to the problem i am experiencing. my next step is
> to go to the dealer and let them charge me hundreds to figure this one
> out! but may you guys can help first!Thanks!
>
> if someone can help maybe you can talk with me on the chat line, if you
> have additional questions.

If I had to guess it would be a sticking thermostat.

Old September 30th 05, 11:02 AM
2forgetmenot

thanks for the help on the hot/cold needle problem.

the consensus seems to be a stuck thermostat, so i think i'll try that
first, the least expensive.