CJ mirrors on a YJ

Old July 4th 05, 11:58 PM
Poe

Default CJ mirrors on a YJ

I'm thinking about mounting CJ side mirrors on my 89 YJ. Has anyone done
this? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. I have been doing some
body work on the YJ and I got rid of the door mounted mirrors so I need
another solution.

POE
Old July 5th 05, 12:56 AM
Earle Horton

If you have the money get the later style YJ door hinges and the big
rectangular mirrors. If you have to have CJ mirrors get the kit that mounts
on the front of a CJ style windshield hinge. This is at least better than
the kit that mounts on the side of a YJ style hinge. You will think you are
saving money, not replacing the windshield hinge, but you will be sorry.
Kentrol is a good brand. Steel Horse is not. The CJ mirrors tend to
vibrate, so a set of aluminum mirror arm bushings is a good idea
<http://4wd.com/shop/productdetail.asp?model=tj&productsku=57005>.

I have two or three sets of these mirrors, having finally learned to buy
quality parts. I only use them if the doors are completely off.

Earle

Old July 5th 05, 02:51 AM
Clap Trap

Don't go with CJ mirrors - they aren't very good. Don't go with mirror
movers either - they are a complete waste of money. You can't see the
mirrors at all if the doors are on.

Spend the money, get yourself a set of mirros for an '87 YJ. They are
huge, windshield mounted, swing out of the way, and work with or without
doors on. They are so much better than CJ mirrors that I put a set on
my CJ. I can send you pics if you want to see a set.

PS - if you're as anal about these things as I am, as an added bonus,
the '87 YJ style mirros are symmetrical as opposed to the retarded
asymmetrical passenger mirror on the CJs.

Old July 5th 05, 03:37 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Poe,
Real Jeeps, have them mounted to the windshield hinges, like
Earle's link points. The passenger side is tilted forward so as to be
seen through the windshield, so the doors and/or windshield may be on or
off, without disturbing their setting:
http://www.billhughes.com/CJmirrors.jpg
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old July 5th 05, 04:07 AM
Poe

Clap Trap wrote:

> Don't go with CJ mirrors - they aren't very good. Don't go with mirror
> movers either - they are a complete waste of money. You can't see the
> mirrors at all if the doors are on.
>
> Spend the money, get yourself a set of mirros for an '87 YJ. They are
> huge, windshield mounted, swing out of the way, and work with or without
> doors on. They are so much better than CJ mirrors that I put a set on
> my CJ. I can send you pics if you want to see a set.
>
> PS - if you're as anal about these things as I am, as an added bonus,
> the '87 YJ style mirros are symmetrical as opposed to the retarded
> asymmetrical passenger mirror on the CJs.
>
> Poe wrote:
>
>>I'm thinking about mounting CJ side mirrors on my 89 YJ. Has anyone done
>>this? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. I have been doing some
>>body work on the YJ and I got rid of the door mounted mirrors so I need
>>another solution.
>>

>>POE

I'd love to see a pic.
Old July 5th 05, 11:32 AM
Clap Trap

I'll take one when I get home this afternoon. Send me your email
address so I can send it to you (I don't have any webspace to put it
on). clrwebmail-lists at yahoo dot com
Old July 5th 05, 10:14 PM
Clap Trap

Actually, it's raining like crazy so I can't take the picts for you now.
So, here's the next best thing...

http://www.quadratec.com/cgi-bin/sgi...05070516584686

If that link doesn't work for you, just go to quadratec.com and search
for part number 55012570.

I put a set of these on my '89 YJ before I sold it. I kept them for my
CJ-8. On the YJ, I just drilled and tapped some short depth holes in
the Jeep's windshield brackets (so that I wouldn't have to worry about
rain leaks). But on my CJ, I drilled through both the brackets and the
windshield frame and used rivnuts. No leaks on it either.

If you still want closeups, let me know and I'll take some picts when it
quits raining.
Old July 6th 05, 01:27 AM
Jeff Strickland

It works good.

WORD TO THE WISE, get your mirrors and mirror arms from the dealership, DO
NOT get the cheap imitations that SteelWhores sells.

Old July 6th 05, 06:09 PM
Poe

Jeff Strickland wrote:
> It works good.
>
> WORD TO THE WISE, get your mirrors and mirror arms from the dealership, DO
> NOT get the cheap imitations that SteelWhores sells.
>

> "Poe" > wrote in message
>
>>I'm thinking about mounting CJ side mirrors on my 89 YJ. Has anyone done
>>this? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. I have been doing some
>>body work on the YJ and I got rid of the door mounted mirrors so I need
>>another solution.
>>

>>POE

Will they mount to the stock windshield hindges or will I need to drill
mounting holes?

Thanks
Old July 6th 05, 06:59 PM
Earle Horton

"Poe" > wrote in message
> Will they mount to the stock windshield hindges or will I need
> to drill mounting holes?
>
> Thanks

For YJ hinges, you will need to drill and tap mounting holes. Use a drill
press, a good bit, and a high quality tap. Hole location is going to be
tricky, unless you can get a good drawing of a CJ hinge.

Earle

power mirrors for Wrangler? Carl Saiyed Jeep 0 May 9th 05 12:25 AM
Heated mirrors on Audi a4 1997 G Audi 6 February 12th 05 08:34 PM
Replacement mirrors, '87 Scirocco Bill Leary VW water cooled 2 September 28th 04 11:45 AM
Vue 2004: heated mirrors? Andrew Webber Saturn 2 September 2nd 04 12:33 AM
2.4 JTD Lipari Grey Veloce - Black Mirrors! Martin Alfa Romeo 16 July 26th 04 03:25 PM