completely OT!

Old July 17th 10, 03:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Sandy[_3_]

Default completely OT!

In article >, Chuck > wrote:

> On 7/2/2010 3:35 AM, barry wrote:
> > outlook express had too many vulnerabilities vis a vis
> > viruses/hackers/etc.
> >

> Really out of the news group area, but--
>
> Only if O.E. was setup to automatically open stuff, and not in text mode.
>
> I will admit/agree that some versions were susceptible, to the point
> that I used an MS unreleased "stripped" version for some time with XP.
>
> Back then, I was one of the longer term real MS MVPs, from the
> compuserve days until 2004. Too many other concerns, including health to
> continue. The older longer term MVPs as I was, were given annual
> subscriptions to MSN Universal and a full TecNet subscription, as well
> as a free MSN "executive" account. Windows "call home for help" is an
> outgrowth of an idea and suggestion I made in 1999 at Redmond.
>
> I also regret the abandonment of O.E., and have gone to Thunderbird for
> daily use in Win7 and Vista. I do have outlook 07, but seldom use it.
>
> I used to like O.E. because it had the ability to read and display raw
> source, headers, routing, etc. without execution of embedded code. That
> helped in hunting down some of the dumber spammers and so forth.

Barry, as you say, displaying raw source, headers, message area is useful. I'll
assume you know, but not everyone else does, that it's trivial to do that with
Thunderbird (the same as displaying raw html with Firefox) with just a Cmd-u
(for OS X) or ctl-u (for GNU/Linux or MS).

--
Sandy

Replace "moon" with "earth" in my email address
to correspond off-list. Thanks
Old July 18th 10, 01:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
barry

On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 22:35:51 -0400, Sandy >
wrote:

>In article >, Chuck > wrote:
>
>> On 7/2/2010 3:35 AM, barry wrote:
>> > outlook express had too many vulnerabilities vis a vis
>> > viruses/hackers/etc.
>> >

>> Really out of the news group area, but--
>>
>> Only if O.E. was setup to automatically open stuff, and not in text mode.
>>
>> I will admit/agree that some versions were susceptible, to the point
>> that I used an MS unreleased "stripped" version for some time with XP.
>>
>> Back then, I was one of the longer term real MS MVPs, from the
>> compuserve days until 2004. Too many other concerns, including health to
>> continue. The older longer term MVPs as I was, were given annual
>> subscriptions to MSN Universal and a full TecNet subscription, as well
>> as a free MSN "executive" account. Windows "call home for help" is an
>> outgrowth of an idea and suggestion I made in 1999 at Redmond.
>>
>> I also regret the abandonment of O.E., and have gone to Thunderbird for
>> daily use in Win7 and Vista. I do have outlook 07, but seldom use it.
>>
>> I used to like O.E. because it had the ability to read and display raw
>> source, headers, routing, etc. without execution of embedded code. That
>> helped in hunting down some of the dumber spammers and so forth.

>Barry, as you say, displaying raw source, headers, message area is useful. I'll
>assume you know, but not everyone else does, that it's trivial to do that with
>Thunderbird (the same as displaying raw html with Firefox) with just a Cmd-u
>(for OS X) or ctl-u (for GNU/Linux or MS).

you mean chuck? i prefer using web-based email. (as it turns out, my
service provider outsourced their webmail services to google so i've
even got all the web based perks on my service provider email).
Old July 18th 10, 11:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Don Q[_2_]

On 2010-07-18 08:41:51 -0400, barry > said:

> you mean chuck? i prefer using web-based email. (as it turns out, my
> service provider outsourced their webmail services to google so i've
> even got all the web based perks on my service provider email).

For everyone using gmail (and to some extent, any kind of web mail)

It is one thing to assume the risks, you are all adults (presumably).
It is another to be a newbie and make a mistake thru inadequate research.

This page is worth reading, may be some facts you did not know.

http://www.gmail-is-too-creepy.com/

Also...

* The gmail EULA provides "some" protection if you have an account, but
if you are sending mail to someone at gmail, you are not protected by
the EULA.

* Apparently there is some law in the US, any mail left on the servers
beyond 6 months is deemed to be abandoned, so the authorities would not
need a warrant, they can just ask the ISP or other e-mail provider to
simply send it over. (Maybe someone who is more on top of these things
can provide chapter and verse. I read about it a while ago, but I do
not use any kind of webmail.)

cheers

Don

Old July 19th 10, 01:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

On 7/18/2010 5:05 PM, Don Q wrote:
> On 2010-07-18 08:41:51 -0400, barry > said:
>
>> you mean chuck? i prefer using web-based email. (as it turns out, my
>> service provider outsourced their webmail services to google so i've
>> even got all the web based perks on my service provider email).

> For everyone using gmail (and to some extent, any kind of web mail)
>
> It is one thing to assume the risks, you are all adults (presumably).
> It is another to be a newbie and make a mistake thru inadequate research.
>
> This page is worth reading, may be some facts you did not know.
>
> http://www.gmail-is-too-creepy.com/
>
> Also...
>
> * The gmail EULA provides "some" protection if you have an account, but
> if you are sending mail to someone at gmail, you are not protected by
> the EULA.
>
> * Apparently there is some law in the US, any mail left on the servers
> beyond 6 months is deemed to be abandoned, so the authorities would not
> need a warrant, they can just ask the ISP or other e-mail provider to
> simply send it over. (Maybe someone who is more on top of these things
> can provide chapter and verse. I read about it a while ago, but I do not
> use any kind of webmail.)
>
> cheers
>
> Don

What you say is absolutely true, but..........if the authorities are
interested in you, then the type of email, or even snail mail that you
are using probably makes no difference.

The reason I say this is that if you are on their radar enough for them
to care what is being said in your emails, then you are probably f*cked
anyway.

Americans gave up all rights of protection against invasion of their
privacy when the insane Patriot Act was signed into law by the puppet on
the right, and then extended by the current puppet on the left.

Liberty was traded for a false sense of security, and so history repeats
itself, again and again.

Pat (hoping that calling the Patriot Act "insane" in a public forum does
not **** off the wrong people in power)

Old July 19th 10, 03:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Don Q[_2_]

On 2010-07-18 20:44:42 -0400, pws > said:

> What you say is absolutely true, but..........if the authorities are
> interested in you, then the type of email, or even snail mail that you
> are using probably makes no difference.
>
> The reason I say this is that if you are on their radar enough for them
> to care what is being said in your emails, then you are probably f*cked
> anyway.
>
> Americans gave up all rights of protection against invasion of their
> privacy when the insane Patriot Act was signed into law by the puppet
> on the right, and then extended by the current puppet on the left.
>
> Liberty was traded for a false sense of security, and so history
> repeats itself, again and again.
>
> Pat (hoping that calling the Patriot Act "insane" in a public forum
> does not **** off the wrong people in power)

Lenin wrote, "The purpose of terrorism is to terrorize"
Therefore the proper response to terrorism is to refuse to be intimidated.
The smartest thing GW ever did was right after 9/11 when he said "go shopping".

As tragic as 9/11 was, in the end the loss was 3,000 souls.
Given the annual stats America could have afforded to shrug it off,
saying, hey is that the best you got?
What is 3,000 when compared with

* Heart disease: 616,067
* Cancer: 562,875
* Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 135,952
* Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 127,924
* Accidents (unintentional injuries): 123,706
* Alzheimer's disease: 74,632
* Diabetes: 71,382
* Influenza and Pneumonia: 52,717
(And let's not forget roughly 40,000 traffic fatalities.)

It breaks my heart to watch the greatest democracy on earth slowly turn
into a police state.
Didn't 60 Minutes do a story a few years back about a 9-year old kid
who is on the no-fly list?

<sigh>

Sorry for the rant, I'll see myself out...

Old July 19th 10, 01:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

On 7/18/2010 9:44 PM, Don Q wrote:
> On 2010-07-18 20:44:42 -0400, pws > said:
>
>> What you say is absolutely true, but..........if the authorities are
>> interested in you, then the type of email, or even snail mail that you
>> are using probably makes no difference.
>>
>> The reason I say this is that if you are on their radar enough for
>> them to care what is being said in your emails, then you are probably
>> f*cked anyway.
>>
>> Americans gave up all rights of protection against invasion of their
>> privacy when the insane Patriot Act was signed into law by the puppet
>> on the right, and then extended by the current puppet on the left.
>>
>> Liberty was traded for a false sense of security, and so history
>> repeats itself, again and again.
>>
>> Pat (hoping that calling the Patriot Act "insane" in a public forum
>> does not **** off the wrong people in power)

> Lenin wrote, "The purpose of terrorism is to terrorize"
> Therefore the proper response to terrorism is to refuse to be intimidated.
> The smartest thing GW ever did was right after 9/11 when he said "go
> shopping".
>
> As tragic as 9/11 was, in the end the loss was 3,000 souls.
> Given the annual stats America could have afforded to shrug it off,
> saying, hey is that the best you got?
> What is 3,000 when compared with
>
> * Heart disease: 616,067
> * Cancer: 562,875
> * Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 135,952
> * Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 127,924
> * Accidents (unintentional injuries): 123,706
> * Alzheimer's disease: 74,632
> * Diabetes: 71,382
> * Influenza and Pneumonia: 52,717
> (And let's not forget roughly 40,000 traffic fatalities.)
>
> It breaks my heart to watch the greatest democracy on earth slowly turn
> into a police state.
> Didn't 60 Minutes do a story a few years back about a 9-year old kid who
> is on the no-fly list?
>
> <sigh>
>
> Sorry for the rant, I'll see myself out...

We are turning into a police state slowly?!?!?! I'll see you outside for
further discussion & ranting......... ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGIY5Vyj4YM

Old July 21st 10, 12:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"Don Q" wrote in message ...
> On 2010-07-18 20:44:42 -0400, pws > said:
>

> It breaks my heart to watch the greatest democracy on earth slowly turn
> into a police state.
> Didn't 60 Minutes do a story a few years back about a 9-year old kid who
> is on the no-fly list?
>
> <sigh>
>
> Sorry for the rant, I'll see myself out...

Hey, we've already claimed this to be OT so, you don't have to see yourself
out por nada (as they say in TX ;-). I agree with you on this as I'm quite
sure Pat will too. Even the numbers you mention pale if you consider the
'event' globally. It's simply, technically, insignificant. I KNOW that that
sounds callous and horrible but if we are honest with ourselves, 9-1-1 was a
hugely significant event on a global scale only if we believe in the myth
that Americans are the only ones that 'count' in this world. I simply do not
believe this! Our previous meddlings in that part of the world (and so many
other parts of the world) had previously caused casualties almost beyond
belief.

cd

Old July 21st 10, 12:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"pws" > wrote in message

> We are turning into a police state slowly?!?!?! I'll see you outside for
> further discussion & ranting......... ;-)
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGIY5Vyj4YM

Hey, nice video! That was great.

cd
99BBB