1959 Bel Air versus 2009 Malibu - NMC but at least car-related

Old October 12th 09, 07:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

Default 1959 Bel Air versus 2009 Malibu - NMC but at least car-related

"Christopher Muto" > wrote:

> phony or not, wouldn't you rather die behind the wheel of a '59
> bel air then be seen alive driving a 2009 malibu?

Neither. Notice they didn't mention that both cars were junk BEFORE
the crash, the only difference was they were mangled junk after! <GD&R>

The Usenet Improvement Project:
Old October 12th 09, 08:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Christopher Muto wrote:

> phony or not, wouldn't you rather die behind the wheel of a '59 bel air then
> be seen alive driving a 2009 malibu?

You do bring up a good point, and I am not even a big classic car fan. ;-)

I'll definitely take death in my Miata over a life of driving almost any
American-made car, especially American cars manufactured from about 1970
to the present, with the possible exception of the Corvette.

Pat
Old October 12th 09, 08:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

XS11E wrote:

> It's phony, it was very carefully staged to prove the point they
> intended to prove. Very much like a certain "News" network blowing up
> trucks.

Whoosh! That one flew right over me. :-)

I am guessing that the news network being referred to is Fox, but what
is this about the staged blowing up of trucks?

Pat
Old October 12th 09, 08:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

XS11E wrote:

> Neither. Notice they didn't mention that both cars were junk BEFORE
> the crash, the only difference was they were mangled junk after! <GD&R>

I would be interested to see how a 2009 Miata holds up against a 1959
model lead sled.

I would like to see that in a controlled crash video that is, not with
me driving either car.
40 mph each, that adds up to a nice little impact.

"It'll buff right out" - lol

Patrick
Old October 12th 09, 09:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

pws > wrote:

> XS11E wrote:
>
>> It's phony, it was very carefully staged to prove the point they
>> intended to prove. Very much like a certain "News" network
>> blowing up trucks.

> Whoosh! That one flew right over me. :-)
>
> I am guessing that the news network being referred to is Fox, but
> what is this about the staged blowing up of trucks?

Fox has never been that dishonest, NBC has.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dateline_NBC

General Motors
Dateline NBC aired an investigative report about General Motors pickup
trucks allegedly exploding upon impact during accidents due to poor
design of fuel tanks. Dateline's film showed a sample of a low speed
accident with the fuel tank exploding. In reality, Dateline NBC
producers had rigged the truck with remotely detonated explosives. The
program did not disclose the fact that the accident was staged. GM
investigators studied the film, and discovered that smoke actually came
out of the fuel tank a split-second before impact. GM subsequently
filed an anti-defamation lawsuit against NBC after conducting an
extensive investigation. On February 18, 1993 GM conducted a highly
publicized point-by-point rebuttal that lasted nearly two hours after
announcing the lawsuit. The lawsuit was quickly settled by NBC, and
Jane Pauley read an apology on the program.

The following Dateline NBC producers were dismissed: Jeff Diamond,
executive producer; David Rummel, senior producer; and Robert Read,
producer of the report on the pickups. Michele Gillen, the reporter
involved in the segment, was transferred to Miami station WTVJ. Michael
G. Gartner, president of the news division, resigned under pressure.

Keep reading past this to more of NBC's questionable tactics.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
Old October 12th 09, 09:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

pws > wrote:

> I would be interested to see how a 2009 Miata holds up against a
> 1959 model lead sled.
>
> I would like to see that in a controlled crash video that is, not
> with me driving either car.

I'll set it up but you have to drive the Miata, we'll get someone to
drive a 1959 model. Since you didn't specify the make, chose between
Greyhound, Mack or Peterbuilt. ;-)

The Usenet Improvement Project:
Old October 13th 09, 05:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

This might be the most reasonable point yet ;-)
Chris
99BBB

Old October 13th 09, 06:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Tim M.

On Oct 13, 12:20*am, "Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:

> This might be the most reasonable point yet ;-)

I want a 1959 Chevy El Camino (based on the Bel Air chassis) but
modified like this:

http://www.truckinweb.com/features/0.../photo_05.html

The 2009/2010 Chevy Malibu is a world class family car that beat the
Honda Accord and the Toyota Camry heads-up in most comparison tests;
the first domestic car to do so since the original Taurus in 1986.
Maybe a boring car from an enthusiast's standpoint, but certainly not
junk!
Old October 13th 09, 07:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

"Tim M." > wrote:

> The 2009/2010 Chevy Malibu is a world class family car that beat
> the Honda Accord and the Toyota Camry heads-up in most comparison
> tests; the first domestic car to do so since the original Taurus
> in 1986. Maybe a boring car from an enthusiast's standpoint, but
> certainly not junk!

It's junk as are all Chevrolets. CR once rated all Chevy models from
1957 to current as unaceptable due to frequency of repair. That was
some years back but things haven't changed.

"The 2010 Chevrolet Malibu reliability score of 5.0 out of 10 is the
Predicted Reliability rating provided by J.D. Power and Associates."

Pathetic.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...-Midsize-Cars/

Notice, as expected, the Chevy shows the LOWEST reliability score of
all cars listed?

The Usenet Improvement Project:
Old October 13th 09, 10:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Geary Morton

In article
"Tim M." > wrote:

> They found what they wanted in Indiana. "The frame was sound and all
> the body panels were sound," he said. It had a 3.9-liter 6-cylinder
> engine and was in driving condition.

Hmmmmm, that's a fairly slender inline six, which as I recall left lots
of open space on either side of the engine compartment. I wonder how
the '59 would have fared had it been equipped with the wider 283 V8, or
even better, the much wider big block 348. I'm thinking it would've
fared better.

--Geary

J vin versus 1 vin? alfred[_3_] Honda 2 November 22nd 07 06:56 PM
525 versus 530 bmoag BMW 6 February 28th 06 02:41 AM
CR-V -versus- Rav 4 fish Honda 21 December 19th 05 07:53 AM