A6 Avante Rain Issue

Old October 10th 05, 01:56 PM
Nicholas Hoskins

Default A6 Avante Rain Issue

Hello

Just purchased a 2002 A6 Avante, love the car, excellent styling, build
quality etc, power is a little lacking (3.0 V6 Quattro), but overall
have been extremely impressed with the details that Audi put into the
car.

That was until the past weekend, where I had the pleasure of scooping
out water from the rear passenger foot well. I have never seen so much
water in a car, after looking on this forum, I found postings that
mention a drain hole under the car battery. It was dark, I took the
battery out and found a blocked hole, and unplugged it (there was a
plastic plug in it), the pool of water that had collected around the
battery drained, and the car doesnt seem to be collecting anymore
water.

However, after spending hours getting the water out of the car, I'm now
finding that the electrics and transmissions are royally screwed up,
lots of flashing lights and warnings and irregular engine idling etc.
EPS,ABS,Check Engine lights illuminiated, no gear selection indicator
etc.

Anybody have this issue lately?

Have sent an email to Audi, and contacted my lawyer just in case.

I cannot believe that rain could kill a car like this? what happened to
the "German Engineering" ???

Cheers

Old October 10th 05, 02:03 PM
Iain Miller

"Nicholas Hoskins" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello
>
> Just purchased a 2002 A6 Avante, love the car, excellent styling, build
> quality etc, power is a little lacking (3.0 V6 Quattro), but overall
> have been extremely impressed with the details that Audi put into the
> car.
>
> That was until the past weekend, where I had the pleasure of scooping
> out water from the rear passenger foot well. I have never seen so much
> water in a car, after looking on this forum, I found postings that
> mention a drain hole under the car battery. It was dark, I took the
> battery out and found a blocked hole, and unplugged it (there was a
> plastic plug in it), the pool of water that had collected around the
> battery drained, and the car doesnt seem to be collecting anymore
> water.
>
> However, after spending hours getting the water out of the car, I'm now
> finding that the electrics and transmissions are royally screwed up,
> lots of flashing lights and warnings and irregular engine idling etc.
> EPS,ABS,Check Engine lights illuminiated, no gear selection indicator
> etc.
>
> Anybody have this issue lately?
>
> Have sent an email to Audi, and contacted my lawyer just in case.
>
> I cannot believe that rain could kill a car like this? what happened to
> the "German Engineering" ???

It'll be because VAG (in their infinite wisdom) put the CCM (climate control
module) in the floor under the seat there (Same for A4s & VW Passats) & its
now a bit soggy, probably fried & generally now a bit useless. You need a
new one.

I.

Old October 10th 05, 03:50 PM
Nicholas Hoskins

Iain,

Thanks for that information chap, to be honest, I'm really impressed
with how clever the engineering design of allowing rain water to enter
the car and screw up the electrical system is, they should be winning
some award for it.

Waiting for a contact back from Audi. . .

Cheers

Old October 16th 05, 08:35 PM
Steve G

I had trouble with water getting in via the chamber that holds the battery!
Basically the drain holes bock up and then the rainwater gets into the cab!

Look at the area around the battery to see if its full of water?

You could also look here
http://www.audiworld.com

Steve

Old October 17th 05, 09:36 PM
Nicholas Hoskins

Steve,

Thanks to this group, I found that info out on the day it was raining
and cleared the drain hole under the battery. The area where the
battery is located was flooded just like you say.

Thanks for your help chap :-)

Nicholas

The dangers of DRLs 223rem Driving 399 July 25th 05 11:28 PM
I know someone has the fix for this. A/C draining issue with TJs. Eric Jeep 6 July 25th 05 01:34 AM
Rain and Intrerior Gary Mazda 8 June 16th 05 10:07 PM
Don't Rain on my Thing [email protected] VW air cooled 2 May 29th 05 09:27 PM
Speaker Rain Baffles gixer Mazda 4 March 1st 05 12:29 PM