50,000 Mile Computer Issue

Old December 12th 03, 04:08 PM
Malok

Default 50,000 Mile Computer Issue

I own a 1995 Suzuki Vitara. It was purchased in the USA but has been
all over the world. A couple of days ago the car reached 50,000 miles.
As soon as it reached that number the "engine check" light came on. I
took it to a Suzuki dealer here in England, but they said that they
could not calibrate the computer because it was manufactured in the
USA.

I am not a very mechanical person and so am looking for some advice.
Firstly, will driving the vehicle with this warning cause any harm?
Secondly, apart from returning the car to the USA are there any other
ways to calibrate this computer? Does it have to be done by a Suzuki
dealer?

Thanks!

Malok
Old December 13th 03, 01:37 AM
rnf2

"Malok" > wrote in message
om...
> I own a 1995 Suzuki Vitara. It was purchased in the USA but has been
> all over the world. A couple of days ago the car reached 50,000 miles.
> As soon as it reached that number the "engine check" light came on. I
> took it to a Suzuki dealer here in England, but they said that they
> could not calibrate the computer because it was manufactured in the
> USA.
>
> I am not a very mechanical person and so am looking for some advice.
> Firstly, will driving the vehicle with this warning cause any harm?
> Secondly, apart from returning the car to the USA are there any other
> ways to calibrate this computer? Does it have to be done by a Suzuki
> dealer?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Malok

Was it at exactly 50,000 miles? check you manual to see what items such as
Timing belts et al need to be changed at the 50K service.

rhys

Old December 13th 03, 01:37 AM
rnf2

om...

Old December 15th 03, 04:49 PM
Malok

Yes, it happened at exactly 50,000.00 miles. I've checked the manual
and there are a number of items that need to be changed out. Do you
think that this will solve the problem? Is there anyway to reset the
computer while here in the UK? Is it possible for me to bring the
computer to the US in my suitcase and have it calibrated there?

Old December 15th 03, 04:49 PM
Malok

Old December 15th 03, 08:55 PM
Steve Seeger

Malok wrote:
> Yes, [the check engin light came on] at exactly 50,000.00 miles.
> .... there are a number of items that need to be changed out.
> Is there anyway to reset the computer while here in the UK?

Just changing out the items probably won't reset the computer. It's
probably designed so the service tech clears the "50k service" code when he
makes the changes. If the service tech can't access the computer, the light
will probably still be lit. On some cars, you can clear the computer
service codes by disconnecting the battery for 15-30 seconds. Try that &
get the actual service performed when you can.

Steve Seeger

Old December 15th 03, 08:55 PM
Steve Seeger

Old December 15th 03, 11:20 PM
rnf2

"Steve Seeger" > wrote in message
> Malok wrote:
> > Yes, [the check engin light came on] at exactly 50,000.00 miles.
> > .... there are a number of items that need to be changed out.
> > Is there anyway to reset the computer while here in the UK?

> Just changing out the items probably won't reset the computer. It's
> probably designed so the service tech clears the "50k service" code when

he
> makes the changes. If the service tech can't access the computer, the

light
> will probably still be lit. On some cars, you can clear the computer
> service codes by disconnecting the battery for 15-30 seconds. Try that &
> get the actual service performed when you can.
>
> Steve Seeger

With Isuzu cars and 4x4s you can switch off the light by removing the
instrument cluster from the dash, and on the back there is a screw, undoing
that and screwing it into a different hole resets a switch so the timing
belt light goes out and is ready to go on the next time you need a belt
change.

I'd say theres nothing wrong with the engine or computer, it's just telling
you it's time ot had something like the timing belt or timing chain changed.

rhys

Old December 15th 03, 11:20 PM
rnf2