Instrument cluster - if I replace it, will my mileage be the same? E36 1997 BMW 318ic

Old May 12th 06, 12:07 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default Instrument cluster - if I replace it, will my mileage be the same? E36 1997 BMW 318ic

Wondering if I change my instrument cluster, will my mileage stay the
same? I just want to make sure it will so there are no issues in
selling my car, thanks. The car is a 1997 BMW 318IC (E36 Model)

Old May 12th 06, 06:44 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Wondering if I change my instrument cluster, will my mileage stay the
> same? I just want to make sure it will so there are no issues in
> selling my car, thanks. The car is a 1997 BMW 318IC (E36 Model)

probably not..........the replacement may have to be electronically doctored
to match the original.

Old May 12th 06, 09:44 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

> wrote:
> Wondering if I change my instrument cluster, will my mileage stay the
> same? I just want to make sure it will so there are no issues in
> selling my car, thanks. The car is a 1997 BMW 318IC (E36 Model)

No. The new cluster will start counting milage from 0.

I had to do this on my 1997 E36 318i when I moved to the US (my spedometer
didn't have MPH). The dealer provided a letter when they did the change
that documents the milage on the old cluster at the time of removal. I keep
that with all the rest of the documents in case I have to sell it in the
future.

Tom.

Old May 15th 06, 10:14 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Ah, but the newer cars store the data in the ECU. I swapped out my E39
cluster and it didn't miss a thing.

R / John

Old May 16th 06, 11:38 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Mon, 15 May 2006 16:14:48 -0500, "John Carrier" >
waffled on about something:

>Ah, but the newer cars store the data in the ECU. I swapped out my E39
>cluster and it didn't miss a thing.

Maybe the newer ones do, but my '96 E36 certainly didn't. Mine had a
complete instrument cluster failure early in it's life, so it got
changed under warranty by a previous owner, but it sure makes for an
interesting looking service book. )

Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES