2000 civic?

Old April 18th 06, 02:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default 2000 civic?

My mom brought her car in today for a service code. They conected the
diagnostics, and it needed a primary 02 Sensor. $160.00 Labor $216.00
part $80.00 Diagnostic =$456.00 for an O2 sensor. Man I am glad I dont
own a Honda

Old April 18th 06, 04:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Wouldn't that be covered by emissions warranty?

Old April 18th 06, 04:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

shawn wrote:

> My mom brought her car in today for a service code. They conected the
> diagnostics, and it needed a primary 02 Sensor. $160.00 Labor $216.00
> part $80.00 Diagnostic =$456.00 for an O2 sensor. Man I am glad I dont
> own a Honda

_________________________

The OEM part (NTK) is only $95 at NAPA in Canada, 1/2 hour to change.

Man am I glad I don't get my Hondas serviced where your mom does . .

'Curly'
Old April 18th 06, 05:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

wow curly, good to know about the oem sensor at NAPA.

Thinking about changing mine out at 250000kms.... though I may try to
recondition them as described (i think) on Tegger.com, boiling in lime away?
Anyone try that successfully?

To the OP, before laying out that kinda cash, I would definitely have gotten
a second opinion. Also, was it the primary (top) or secondary (bottom)
sensor? Primary would definitly be more important to change right aways, but
you could get away with driving with a bad secondary for a while.

I had a code pop up on my 98 civic at 85000kms.... my shop did the
responsible thing.... They checked it and the code read Primary O2 sensor.
Then they cleared it and said to come back if it reoccured. It did come back
in a day or so, but this time it read bad Catalytic converter. They replaced
the cat after verifying on warranty, and tested both O2 sensors before
putting back in to the new Catalytic Converter/Exhaust Manifold assembly. (
$800 OEM part!) A good shop would only charge one diagnostic fee for the
above if not covered on warranty.

On a side note, I am about 99% sure that the above situation was caused by
some bad gas. I was in Regina Saskatchewan, and filled up at a station my
friend recommended, as they gave a cash discount. First clue shoulda been
that it smelled like nail polish remover while refueling.... The car bucked
and complained the whole way back home, and I only got about 280kms on that
tank of fuel. Filled up at the Esso in Virden, and it was like a new car
again. About a week later, the Check Engine light came on.

Perhaps the same happened to your mom's car? Bad gas is more common than
most people think....

Old April 18th 06, 08:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

shawn wrote:
> My mom brought her car in today for a service code. They conected the
> diagnostics, and it needed a primary 02 Sensor. $160.00 Labor $216.00
> part $80.00 Diagnostic =$456.00 for an O2 sensor. Man I am glad I dont
> own a Honda

a $99 actron scantool told me the same thing...
the part cost me the same
the labor was easier than changing a spark plug... 10 mins

so for $316 i did it myself in 10 mins and have an OBD2 scantool i can
keep for the rest of my life.

sounds like the dealer screwed yer mom over, big time. especially the labor!

Old April 18th 06, 03:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Ouch! Did she take it to Midas?

Old April 18th 06, 08:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

This was at the Dealershiip where she bought he car. I probably wouldnt be
too upset, butthe dang car only has 14500 miles, and yes it is a 2000.

Old April 18th 06, 08:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Brings me back to the bad/old gas theory, obviously this car is not driven
that often. Gas goes bad within 3-6 months, running that through the engine
after sitting for a long time could have a deleterious effect on many systems,
and will definitely reduce fuel economy.

Old April 19th 06, 12:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

She drove 1.5 miles to work, and then back home. Up untill last January, she
retired. Now only drives once a week.

Old April 19th 06, 07:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

shawn wrote:
> This was at the Dealershiip where she bought he car. I probably wouldnt be
> too upset, butthe dang car only has 14500 miles, and yes it is a 2000.

well... the dealer screwed her. guess they figured thatd be the last car
shed buy in a while. id ask for a refund on the labor, or for it to be
cut down to a half hr, max.

if they claim "book time" id wanna see the book. how many hours is
claimed on the work order?