Oil in spark plugs

Old June 11th 05, 09:33 PM
bigrob4201

Default Oil in spark plugs

in my fiancees 93 accord there is oil in the spark plugs. We had a flood
here last night and when i was going to work i got stuck in some high
water. It killed the engine but i got it restarted and got back home well
the engine died 2 or 3 more times and then after i got home it wouldnt
restart. Is that because of oil or the water? Did the water cause the
oil? any help woould be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old June 12th 05, 08:43 PM
Woody

Did you check for water in the oil? Did you check for water in the intake?
The oil in the plugs is coming from somewhere. Was it there before you tried
using it for a boat?

lkaboutautos.com...

Old June 13th 05, 01:12 AM
bigrob4201

I dont know if the oil was there before or not. It looked like there was
some baked onto one of the wires, where it connects to the spark plug. I
got the car to start today, but it just died again. Her moms taking it to
a mechanic tomorrow. But thanks for the help

Old June 25th 05, 07:35 PM
Dan0845

I have the same problem with my 93 Accord. I was noticing a very slight
skip at idle and since I had not changed the plugs in a while, I checked
them...there was oil standing in all four plug wells. Oil is apparently
not in the engine...I have no burnage or any smoke, but one of the plugs
had burned-on oil as you described. I do have slight "skipage" at various
speeds...maybe this is another problem...AT related, I hope not!! Maybe
you can tell me what you found out or someone else may offer some help.
Thanks,
Dan
PS..I was never in a flood..haha!

Old June 25th 05, 07:56 PM
Steve Bigelow

"Dan0845" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
>I have the same problem with my 93 Accord. I was noticing a very slight
> skip at idle and since I had not changed the plugs in a while, I checked
> them...there was oil standing in all four plug wells. Oil is apparently
> not in the engine...I have no burnage or any smoke, but one of the plugs
> had burned-on oil as you described. I do have slight "skipage" at various
> speeds...maybe this is another problem...AT related, I hope not!! Maybe
> you can tell me what you found out or someone else may offer some help.
> Thanks,
> Dan
> PS..I was never in a flood..haha!

EGR ports clogged.

Old June 25th 05, 08:29 PM
motsco_ _

Dan0845 wrote:
> I have the same problem with my 93 Accord. I was noticing a very slight
> skip at idle and since I had not changed the plugs in a while, I checked
> them...there was oil standing in all four plug wells. Oil is apparently
> not in the engine...I have no burnage or any smoke, but one of the plugs
> had burned-on oil as you described. I do have slight "skipage" at various
> speeds...maybe this is another problem...AT related, I hope not!! Maybe
> you can tell me what you found out or someone else may offer some help.
> Thanks,
> Dan
> PS..I was never in a flood..haha!

--------------------

There's rubbar seals about 3/4 way down inside the holes in the cover
where the plugs go. They keep the oil INSIDE the valve cover. When they
get OLD, they start to leak unburnt (liquid) oil into the plug's domain.
On some engines, you just remove valve cover and replace them. On
others, the camshafts have to come out, i think.

Search this group, or google.com to find the cure. Try tegger's faq:
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/

Also, change your ATF with Honda Z1, and do it again a week later if you
have any doubts whether it's been done.. always quote your mileage.

'Curly'

Old June 26th 05, 12:20 AM
Dan0845

Steve,
I hate to sound stupid, but what are EGR ports and how might I deal with
this myself or is an expert required? Is this a more obvious cause than
worn out seals or valve cover gasket...and I assume replacing these is
fairly straight- forward.
Thanks for your help,
Dan

Old June 26th 05, 05:23 AM
Steve Bigelow

"Dan0845" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> Steve,
> I hate to sound stupid, but what are EGR ports and how might I deal with
> this myself or is an expert required? Is this a more obvious cause than
> worn out seals or valve cover gasket...and I assume replacing these is
> fairly straight- forward.
> Thanks for your help,
> Dan

Not hard at all...although it does require the purchase of a slide hammer. I
think I paid about $15 for mine.

http://home.comcast.net/~em-engineering/T2T013.pdf

I managed to do all the ports without removing the fuel rail...actually
without removing anything except the port caps!

Question Platium Spark Plugs Jason Honda 20 May 23rd 05 06:36 AM
Opinion - Spark plugs for '98 3.0 Voyager Ken Peterson Chrysler 24 March 20th 05 02:04 AM
Spark Plugs for 93 SL1 SOHC Gary Compton Saturn 3 July 18th 04 12:33 PM
spark plugs condition newsgroup Saturn 2 July 11th 04 09:08 PM
How to change spark plugs on Ford Contour V6? Jian General 0 January 21st 04 04:45 AM