Help Mike Romain

Old January 21st 09, 01:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Help Mike Romain

Mike not sure if you saw this post.

I think something bad happened to my transfer case. Went to drive it
the other night and heard horible grinding sound. Stopped hearing it
as soon as I got out of driveway. Now huge puddle of gear oil under
case. Car drives fine with no noise in 2WD. Can it be drivewn in
2WD
without functioning transfer case? Does transfer case move
mechanically if not engaged? I know I will have to replace it
eventually, but is it safe to drive as is?

I Had driven it to the store, on the way hit a fire plug which,
unbeknownst to me at the time knocked the neutral safety switch off
its socket. Had it towed home. After much diagnostic testing arrived
at the conclusion of the safety switch. When I went to drive it the
above happened. The truck was in 4WD when it was towed which is why I
suspect tranfer case issue. Your thoughts please.

Old January 21st 09, 04:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
RoyJ

IIRC, the '86 wagoneer is almost always automatic with the full time
4wd. Should be a NPG transfer case with no 4wd-lo range

"horrible grinding noise" + "big puddle of oil" + "sounds OK in 2wd" +
"had it towed home" tells me that you took out the transfer case clutch
pack and/or the chain drive. You likely have a serious hole in the side
of the transfer case. If so, driving it further will not do any more
damage, there is not much left to damage. But there is no oil left in
the transfer case, it will lock up fairly shortly.

I'd suggest crawling underneath, looking for the source of the oil
puddle. If you see a hole, you are done. Park it until you figure out a
repair.

Old January 21st 09, 01:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jo Baggs[_2_]

"RoyJ" > wrote in message
> IIRC, the '86 wagoneer is almost always automatic with the full time 4wd.
> Should be a NPG transfer case with no 4wd-lo range
>
> "horrible grinding noise" + "big puddle of oil" + "sounds OK in 2wd" +
> "had it towed home" tells me that you took out the transfer case clutch
> pack and/or the chain drive. You likely have a serious hole in the side of
> the transfer case. If so, driving it further will not do any more damage,
> there is not much left to damage. But there is no oil left in the transfer
> case, it will lock up fairly shortly.
>
> I'd suggest crawling underneath, looking for the source of the oil puddle.
> If you see a hole, you are done. Park it until you figure out a repair.
>
> wrote:
>> Mike not sure if you saw this post.
>>
>> I think something bad happened to my transfer case. Went to drive it
>> the other night and heard horible grinding sound. Stopped hearing it
>> as soon as I got out of driveway. Now huge puddle of gear oil under
>> case. Car drives fine with no noise in 2WD. Can it be drivewn in
>> 2WD
>> without functioning transfer case? Does transfer case move
>> mechanically if not engaged? I know I will have to replace it
>> eventually, but is it safe to drive as is?
>>
>> I Had driven it to the store, on the way hit a fire plug which,
>> unbeknownst to me at the time knocked the neutral safety switch off
>> its socket. Had it towed home. After much diagnostic testing arrived
>> at the conclusion of the safety switch. When I went to drive it the
>> above happened. The truck was in 4WD when it was towed which is why I
>> suspect tranfer case issue. Your thoughts please.

I agree with Roy. You must have cracked the case when you hit the fire-plug
[hydrant] (how the hell did you do that?). As far as I know, the transfer
case gears move regardless of 2WD or 4WD.

It may already be too late, but I wouldn't drive the vehicle another foot.
You have no oil in your drive train.

When Mike signs on, he can give you more fidelity on the problem. Good
Luck.

Old January 21st 09, 02:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

I am going to agree here, you need to find out what blew. I have seen
t-cases literally blown in half from driving in part time 4x4 on
pavement, but it sounds like the impact may be the cause of the oil loss.

No oil means the gears that do spin won't be spinning for long, they
will seize up very fast.

Mike
'New' frame in the works for '09. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build
Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com

Old January 21st 09, 03:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

On Jan 21, 9:00*am, Mike Romain > wrote:
> I am going to agree here, you need to find out what blew. *I have seen
> t-cases literally blown in half from driving in part time 4x4 on
> pavement, but it sounds like the impact may be the cause of the oil loss.
>
> No oil means the gears that do spin won't be spinning for long, they
> will seize up very fast.
>
> Mike
> 'New' frame in the works for '09. *Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build
> Photos:http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com
>

> *Baggs wrote:
> > "RoyJ" > wrote in message
> >> IIRC, the '86 wagoneer is almost always automatic with the full time 4wd.
> >> Should be a NPG transfer case with no 4wd-lo range

> >> "horrible grinding noise" + "big puddle of oil" + "sounds OK in 2wd" +
> >> "had it towed home" tells me that you took out the transfer case clutch
> >> pack and/or the chain drive. You likely have a serious hole in the side of
> >> the transfer case. If so, driving it further will not do any more damage,
> >> there is not much left to damage. But there is no oil left in the transfer
> >> case, it will lock up fairly shortly.

> >> I'd suggest crawling underneath, looking for the source of the oil puddle.
> >> If you see a hole, you are done. Park it until you figure out a repair..

> > I agree with Roy. *You must have cracked the case when you hit the fire-plug
> > [hydrant] (how the hell did you do that?). *As far as I know, the transfer
> > case gears move regardless of 2WD or 4WD.

> > It may already be too late, but I wouldn't drive the vehicle another foot.
> > You have no oil in your drive train.

> > When Mike signs on, he can give you more fidelity on the problem. *Good
> > Luck.- Hide quoted text -

Jo, Didn't hit fire plug with transfer case. Barely tapped bumper.
I think because it was in 4WD when towed I screwed it up. The
consensus seems to be don't drive it so I won't. Any ideas where to
get a replacement transfer case. I have seen used ones on ebay for
$200 - 300. Good price or should I look elsewhere? How much is a
rebuilt one?
Old January 21st 09, 10:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

jimmy3stixwrote:

> Jo, Didn't hit fire plug with transfer case. Barely tapped bumper.
> I think because it was in 4WD when towed I screwed it up.

That will do it, especially if it's in part-time.

> The
> consensus seems to be don't drive it so I won't. Any ideas where to
> get a replacement transfer case. I have seen used ones on ebay for
> $200 - 300. Good price or should I look elsewhere? How much is a
> rebuilt one?

I'd be calling around junkyards (salvage yards). Not sure there.

--
DougW

Old January 22nd 09, 12:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
RoyJ

These guys will give you a benchmark for the max you should have to pay
http://www.transfercases.com/order.htm
Figure about a third to half that for a used one. An '86 is getting old,
transfer cases are a high breakage item. Watch out for e-bay items:big
shipping costs, no warranty.

Old January 22nd 09, 12:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
J. Clarke

DougW wrote:
> jimmy3stixwrote:
>
>> Jo, Didn't hit fire plug with transfer case. Barely tapped
>> bumper.
>> I think because it was in 4WD when towed I screwed it up.

> That will do it, especially if it's in part-time.
>
>> The
>> consensus seems to be don't drive it so I won't. Any ideas where
>> get a replacement transfer case. I have seen used ones on ebay for
>> $200 - 300. Good price or should I look elsewhere? How much is a
>> rebuilt one?

> I'd be calling around junkyards (salvage yards). Not sure there.

If you're in the US try http://www.partshotlines.com. If no joy there
then it's time to call junk yards that aren't listed.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Ping! Mike Romain sdlomi2[_3_] Technology 2 September 19th 07 10:58 PM
PING Mike Romain MattMika Jeep 1 January 20th 07 12:05 AM
Ping: Mike Romain Will Honea 4x4 2 November 18th 06 04:16 PM
THANKS MIKE ROMAIN curbrider Jeep 2 June 5th 05 08:14 PM