04 Mustang Cobras at the drags

Old December 13th 04, 06:43 AM
Big Al

Default 04 Mustang Cobras at the drags

Went to the drags yesterday. There were two 04 Cobras there and I tried to
keep an eye on them. I was disappointed to see them stuck in the high 13's.
What are regular guys turning with stock Cobras? I'm sure the magazines are
getting good numbers. I talked to one of the guys and he said he was getting
bad wheel hop??

Al

Old December 13th 04, 02:56 PM
Chris Shea

driving skill plays a big part in getting these big mothas down the track

the best 1/4 i could turn was a 13.4 at 112 in my cai/catback 03 vert on the
f1's. 2.2 60-ft

i got a set of bfg dr's last month and i am looking forward to trying it
with those. yes tires make a big difference in wheelhop

from my trap speed i can see that the car could be alot quicker so i'm
pretty happy with that. but this is my daily driver so i am a little leary
of going balls to the wall with this car.

from what i see and hear powershifting helps. also i think alot of guys dip
into the 12's on the stock f1's in coupes with low 60-fts

Old December 14th 04, 01:21 AM

>Big Al wrote:

> Went to the drags yesterday. There were two 04 Cobras there and I

tried
> to keep an eye on them. I was disappointed to see them stuck in the

high
> 13's. What are regular guys turning with stock Cobras? I'm sure the
> magazines are getting good numbers. I talked to one of the guys and

he
> said he was getting bad wheel hop??

Al,

One question. What trap speeds were these Cobras turning?

I ask because if they weren't turning traps of at least 108 mph, I say
kick those grannies out of the driver's seat.
Patrick
'93 Cobra
'83 LTD

Old December 14th 04, 05:45 AM
Big Al

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> >Big Al wrote:

>> Went to the drags yesterday. There were two 04 Cobras there and I

> tried
>> to keep an eye on them. I was disappointed to see them stuck in the

> high
>> 13's. What are regular guys turning with stock Cobras? I'm sure the
>> magazines are getting good numbers. I talked to one of the guys and

> he
>> said he was getting bad wheel hop??

> Al,
>
> One question. What trap speeds were these Cobras turning?
>
> I ask because if they weren't turning traps of at least 108 mph, I say
> kick those grannies out of the driver's seat.
> Patrick
> '93 Cobra
> '83 LTD

Sorry I did not pay attention to the trap speeds. Worse yet, I never see
them at the strip, so I doubt I'll get another chance.

Al

Old December 14th 04, 07:00 PM
Big Al

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> >Big Al wrote:

>> Went to the drags yesterday. There were two 04 Cobras there and I

> tried
>> to keep an eye on them. I was disappointed to see them stuck in the

> high
>> 13's. What are regular guys turning with stock Cobras? I'm sure the
>> magazines are getting good numbers. I talked to one of the guys and

> he
>> said he was getting bad wheel hop??

> Al,
>
> One question. What trap speeds were these Cobras turning?
>
> I ask because if they weren't turning traps of at least 108 mph, I say
> kick those grannies out of the driver's seat.
> Patrick

Patrick,

Here's something interesting. On one of my time runs there was a stok late
Corvette in the other lane. No idea if it was a 6 speed or automatic, but it
was not a Z06. Unless they are available with removable tops now. Here is
what he ran: (I put what my junker did on the right

Corvette My car
RT .321 .003
60' 2.090 1.727
330 5.738 4.931
1/8 8.633 7.664
MPH 84.92 89.95
1000 11.116 10.035
1/4 13.235 12.061
MPH 106.93 110.71

I beat him by over a second, and only 4 MPH. Look at the 1/8 ET & MPH,
almost the same split.

Al

Old December 14th 04, 11:08 PM
Garth Almgren

On 12/14/2004 11:00 AM, Big Al wrote:

> Here's something interesting. On one of my time runs there was a stok late
> Corvette in the other lane. No idea if it was a 6 speed or automatic, but it
> was not a Z06. Unless they are available with removable tops now. Here is
> what he ran: (I put what my junker did on the right
>
> Corvette My car
> RT .321 .003
> 60' 2.090 1.727
> 330 5.738 4.931
> 1/8 8.633 7.664
> MPH 84.92 89.95
> 1000 11.116 10.035
> 1/4 13.235 12.061
> MPH 106.93 110.71
>
> I beat him by over a second, and only 4 MPH. Look at the 1/8 ET & MPH,
> almost the same split.

Some junker!

--
/ Garth - '83 GL V6stang Hatch <Former MW #7> \
| My V6stang: http://www.v6stang.com/v6stang |
Old December 15th 04, 01:40 AM

Big Al wrote:

> Patrick,

> Here's something interesting. On one of my time runs there was a stok

late
> Corvette in the other lane. No idea if it was a 6 speed or automatic,

but it
> was not a Z06. Unless they are available with removable tops now.

Here is
> what he ran: (I put what my junker did on the right

> Corvette My car
> RT .321 .003
> 60' 2.090 1.727
> 330 5.738 4.931
> 1/8 8.633 7.664
> MPH 84.92 89.95
> 1000 11.116 10.035
> 1/4 13.235 12.061
> MPH 106.93 110.71

> I beat him by over a second, and only 4 MPH. Look at the 1/8 ET &

MPH,
> almost the same split.

He had a regular-Joe reaction time.

His 60-foot time is just average for a late-model Vette on regular
street tires.

His e.t is good, but his mph is a little low. My guess is he backed
off at the end.

You cut an awesome light.

You're running slicks/stickies.

Your car has been lightened and the motor is tweaked.

Average driver with a factory-stock car loses to a very good driver
who's driving a modified car...

Patrick
'93 Cobra
'83 LTD

Old December 15th 04, 05:53 AM
JS

Hmm...

My '97 Cobra, stock save for the Tri-Ax and a pair of Nitto Drag Radials,
ran 13.8 @ 100.7MPH with a 2.0 60-ft in 90+ degree heat. Don't know what
the track altitude is - Pittsburgh Raceway in New Alexandria (near
Pittsburgh - also formerly called Keystone Raceway). This was at a test +
tune night. No powershifting (transmission won't let me), just a redline
run with quick but still lift-throttle clutch-in shifting. I left 1st at
6800 RPM, 2nd at about the same (plus or minus 100), and held on through
third.

Keep in mind, I'm down 85+ horsepower (rated 305) from the '03-04 guys.
Either they were having severe traction problems or they just didn't know
how to drive.

JS