Engine Rebuild and Case Splitting

Old June 23rd 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default Engine Rebuild and Case Splitting

I am thinking of putting a new cam and bearings in my 1600 vw engine. i
am a noob at vw engines and was wondering if i could split a case
change a few things like the cam and bearins, etc, and put it back
together with little or no problems. i don't want to spend a lot of
time rebuilding the engine if it is going to be a nightmare to put it
back together and have bad leaks when it is done. I would like any
comments, thanks in advance.

Old June 29th 06, 12:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Let me more properly answer this question for you..... DON'T DO IT!
Have fun with your engine.. save to buy a rebuilt longblock, or
turnkey. You specify yourself as a noob.. and in order for a noob to
advance, one must learn. with experience.. trial and error, much money
and much time. You can buy the Haynes.. Bentley. you can buy a Bug Me
video too.. You could get it back together, and it would probably run..
but their is alot more to the engine than they could ever teach you..
Like what you will change.. Will you put a stock cam back in, or will
you be tempted by the devil to put an Engle 120 or etc.. Will you
actually check the bearing surface with a caliper, or will you simply
feel them with a finger, and say they're ok.. When you bolt on the
heads, will you check the cc.. the compression, and shim. Will you shim
the rocker arms??? Do not attempt this, and expect good results if you
are not willing to go all in.. All the time it takes.. nightmares
included. It is a very simple engine.. but their is several other
factors.. Like the proper setting of valves, and proper timing. Proper
fuel / air on the carb.. Did the previous owner throw out your
distributor and install an 009?? Changing what the books specify to
you, to do??

What makes you think the cam is bad? When I first started, and embarked
my first rebuild.. I tore the engine apart.. nothing stopping me. I was
strapped with the Bug ME Video. I thought the camshaft was bad, because
I couldn't set the valve gap proper.. Being more experienced now.. I
realize all that was wrong was the valve. If I would have just left the
engine alone, and bolted on the new heads. Instead I tore it completely
apart, bought it everything new, including heads, and it never idled
right. Blamed it on being an autostick and sold it. Oneday, after all
this experience, and losses.. I hope to be able to build a VW engine
though. So in the long run, I have no regrets. I chaulk it all up as a
learning experience, and what not to do on my next bug. I started with
a 71 autostick, now I have a European 60. I wont be touching the motor
on it!!!

I have fiddled with the timing.. and will get it a nice header and
phatboy muffler. Other than external bolt on things.. The non enhancing
physcologial things.. I will be saving up for a 1914cc longblock or
turnkey. Several would steer you away from this engine.. and reccomend
a 1776cc.. etc.. Like I say.. it's all a long learning experience
inwich costs alot. Don't expect to skip the nightmares, unless you
simply be happy and have fun with what you allready have.

Old June 29th 06, 01:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Not to mention the endplay shimming, and battle of the gland nut
installation / removal.

Old June 30th 06, 09:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Narley Dude ®

Unless you know what you are doing I would strongly suggest that you
purchase a longblock somewhere. I remember the 1st engine I tore
appart...had a hole the size of a nickel on piston #1. I tore it down
replaced what I needed... but skimped out on replacing other items. In
the end... the engine never ran right.
Basically what I'm saying is: There is a whole lot more than spitting
open the case and slapping in a camshaft. There are many other factors
involved, the biggest is "while you have the engine open, this is the
perfect time to check for other internal wear...." most likely you'll
find more to be done... and that will not only take more $$$ but the
know-how.. sooner than you think you'll be over your head.
It's not anything against you... but it takes time to learn.
For instance: My engine of my ghia, locked up sudddenly.... I pull it
out, take it apart. #3 rod is stuck. One would think... no biggie. BUT,
the rod bearings overheated and messed up the crank shaft, the little
dowel pin un the main bearing pops loose and tears up my case....
pistons are bad.... etc. Just that would cost me a small fortune.
But..having learned my lesson. I've replaced all what needed it, plus
making improvements. I ended up with a 1776cc that runs like a dream.

wrote:
> > > I am thinking of putting a new cam and bearings in my 1600 vw engine. i
> > > am a noob at vw engines and was wondering if i could split a case
> > > change a few things like the cam and bearins, etc, and put it back
> > > together with little or no problems. i don't want to spend a lot of
> > > time rebuilding the engine if it is going to be a nightmare to put it
> > > back together and have bad leaks when it is done. I would like any
> > > comments, thanks in advance.

Engine questions (sorry for the long post) Karls VW air cooled 2 May 18th 06 09:54 PM
Lower End Engine Rebuild Mel P. VW air cooled 3 May 15th 06 02:14 AM
86 jeep cherokee laredo kwbacb Jeep 28 December 10th 05 07:31 PM
94 Caravan stick shift: long-term plans Satan Himself Chrysler 3 August 10th 05 04:36 AM