99 Intrepid front end noise

Old September 9th 05, 03:54 AM
Greg Houston

Default 99 Intrepid front end noise

Very recently I've noticed a noise coming from my front end. I've only
noticed it at very slow speeds when turning the steering wheel fairly
rapidly, such as maneuvering to park. There is a noticeable muffled
clunk noise from the passenger side front when the car's direction is
being changed. It sounds like a load shifting. It's most noticeable
when steering from one direction (left or right) to the other.

I'm pretty sure there is also a similar noise coming from the rear of
the car but can't be sure about that one. It sounds like something is
shifting as well (Hopefully it's not the fuel tank shifting on its
bracket).

Any guesses to what this is? I have some ideas but am not sure and
would like to learn more information before going for service. I still
have almost 6 months left on my "Added Care" Chrysler service contract
so I want to make them count. Just have to find a decent dealer that
can diagnose and fix things properly

Old September 9th 05, 04:03 AM
Arthur

Just to let you know, Greg, that my 99 Intrepid seems to be developing the
same 'clunk' in the front end when I turn the wheel when parking, but I have
to listen for it. I'm counting on it to become much worse in the future.
Wish I had the same service contract as you. Let me know how you fare.

Arthur

Old September 9th 05, 04:37 AM
Steve

My 300M which is pretty close to the same had a noise that sounded like a
cluck, I could actually feel it a little through the steering wheel and the
floor, that was caused by the K-Frame being loose. I could often make it
happen while parked by turning the wheel all the way to one side and back to
the other. It was frustrating. I had to drive the car with this noise for 6
months because every time I took it in they could not hear the noise.

Steve

Old September 9th 05, 11:42 AM
Bill Putney

It may also be the control arm to frame bushing. I've seen several
posts on DI.net lately where they had gone bad.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')

Old September 9th 05, 10:05 PM
Steve

Greg Houston wrote:

> Very recently I've noticed a noise coming from my front end. I've only
> noticed it at very slow speeds when turning the steering wheel fairly
> rapidly, such as maneuvering to park. There is a noticeable muffled
> clunk noise from the passenger side front when the car's direction is
> being changed. It sounds like a load shifting. It's most noticeable
> when steering from one direction (left or right) to the other.
>
> I'm pretty sure there is also a similar noise coming from the rear of
> the car but can't be sure about that one. It sounds like something is
> shifting as well (Hopefully it's not the fuel tank shifting on its
> bracket).
>
> Any guesses to what this is? I have some ideas but am not sure and
> would like to learn more information before going for service. I still
> have almost 6 months left on my "Added Care" Chrysler service contract
> so I want to make them count. Just have to find a decent dealer that
> can diagnose and fix things properly

Guess #1- stabilizer rod end-links (common problem, cheap, easy to DIY)
Guess #2- steering rack-to-body bushings
Guess #3- steering tie-rod-to-rack bushings
Old September 10th 05, 02:14 AM
Greg Houston

Greg Houston wrote:

> Very recently I've noticed a noise coming from my front end. I've only
> noticed it at very slow speeds when turning the steering wheel fairly
> rapidly, such as maneuvering to park. There is a noticeable muffled
> clunk noise from the passenger side front when the car's direction is
> being changed. It sounds like a load shifting. It's most noticeable
> when steering from one direction (left or right) to the other.
>
> I'm pretty sure there is also a similar noise coming from the rear of
> the car but can't be sure about that one. It sounds like something is
> shifting as well (Hopefully it's not the fuel tank shifting on its
> bracket).
>
> Any guesses to what this is? I have some ideas but am not sure and
> would like to learn more information before going for service. I still
> have almost 6 months left on my "Added Care" Chrysler service contract
> so I want to make them count. Just have to find a decent dealer that
> can diagnose and fix things properly

Thanks everyone for the replies! I'm rather suspension/steering
illiterate, so I'm going to try to study up on the responses.

Old September 10th 05, 02:59 PM
Bill Putney

Steve wrote:

> Greg Houston wrote:
>
>> Very recently I've noticed a noise coming from my front end. I've only
>> noticed it at very slow speeds when turning the steering wheel fairly
>> rapidly, such as maneuvering to park. There is a noticeable muffled
>> clunk noise from the passenger side front when the car's direction is
>> being changed. It sounds like a load shifting. It's most noticeable
>> when steering from one direction (left or right) to the other.
>>
>> I'm pretty sure there is also a similar noise coming from the rear of
>> the car but can't be sure about that one. It sounds like something is
>> shifting as well (Hopefully it's not the fuel tank shifting on its
>> bracket).
>>
>> Any guesses to what this is? I have some ideas but am not sure and
>> would like to learn more information before going for service. I still
>> have almost 6 months left on my "Added Care" Chrysler service contract
>> so I want to make them count. Just have to find a decent dealer that
>> can diagnose and fix things properly
>>

> Guess #1- stabilizer rod end-links (common problem, cheap, easy to DIY)
> Guess #2- steering rack-to-body bushings
> Guess #3- steering tie-rod-to-rack bushings

Good list.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old October 15th 05, 11:27 PM
Greg Houston

Greg Houston wrote:

> Very recently I've noticed a noise coming from my front end. I've only
> noticed it at very slow speeds when turning the steering wheel fairly
> rapidly, such as maneuvering to park. There is a noticeable muffled
> clunk noise from the passenger side front when the car's direction is
> being changed. It sounds like a load shifting. It's most noticeable
> when steering from one direction (left or right) to the other.
>
> I'm pretty sure there is also a similar noise coming from the rear of
> the car but can't be sure about that one. It sounds like something is
> shifting as well (Hopefully it's not the fuel tank shifting on its
> bracket).

FOLLOW UP:

My dealer was able to correct the front end problem. So here's what
happened.

1.) The upper strut mount and bearing assembly was replaced (under my DC
service contract).

2.) The dealer had mentioned that the stabilizer bar link on the front right
side would need to be done too, so I authorized that repair which he
estimated at about $125. (The front stabilizer bar items are not covered
under my DC "Added Care" service contract although I noticed the rear would
have been (haha) .) He gave me the option of doing both sides but
recommended not doing the left side since there isn't a lot of labor saved
by doing both of these. As I'm writing this I don't see anything about
stabilizer bars or stabilizer bar links on the invoice.... Did they not do
it or not write it up? Interesting.

3.) I also had noted that there was a noise (like a bicycle w/ a bad bearing
makes) coming from the car that is audible from about 15 mph to about 30-35
mph (when wind/road noise overpowered it). Initially they didn't hear it
but after the other stuff was fixed, the tech did hear it. So they replaced
the wheel bearing assembly. The part number for this was 45934500-AA "Hub
Brake 5005006"

In addition I had them replace the transmission fluid....
Parts #
4796730-AB "FILTR PKG 2117002" $16.15
5010884-AA "SEALER RT 1081003" $5.61 seals trans. pan?
5013458-AA "FLUID TRA 1081018" $17.67 1 gal ATF+4?
5013457-AA "OIL AUTOM 1081018 $4.10 1 qt ATF+4?

I assume the last two are gal/qt respectively for the ATF+4 9602 fluid, but
it's curious the truncated descriptions are so different. The total cost
was about $90 as I had a coupon for the transmission fluid change. They
did say that flushing the fluid is not good for the transmission and the
service manual does not include flushing for the transmission fluid change.

As well as the differential fluid....$49.95
No part numbers listed this time, the last time they did this service it was
on the invoice. Since I've been noticing an oily substance under the car
that I later identified as differential fluid leaking out of the vent, I
requested that they do a TSB repair ( that fixes this. 5011589AA - "VENT
TRAN 2110023" $25.84 and $25 for the labor. I thought my service contract
should cover this but oh well.

I also requested that they apply the latest transmission software update for
the TCM. They found the TSB 18-14-00 (I also have access to all the TSBs
which is helpful to me) and did this.

UH OH...I just checked and it was actually TSB 18-17-00 (Sept 22 00)
"kickdown shift quality improvements" that I expected them to do . TSB
18-14-00 (Aug 25 00) "4-3 harsh downshift" affects only MY 2000 LH
vehicles, my Intrepid is a '99. So does this make a difference--would their
computer have automatically downloaded the latest version of the software
anyway, so that the updates mentioned in TSB 18-17-00 are now installed?
The TSB itself doesn't seem to mention any version information, just says to
download latest software to car and ensure dealer's MDS2 and DRBIII are
updated to the lastest software.

I'm curious how labor costs are tabulated....They charged 1/2 hr labor and a
few cents for the label sticker. The SM mentinoned that they charged less
than the normal time since I had everything else done too. I'm curious how
about that since the TSB lists 0.5 Hrs for the job. Is that 0.5 Hrs for
warranty reimbursement time or time they would charge the customer? I
understand that dealers typically charge customers more time than the
factory would pay for the same job if it was under warranty. Factories
apparently do this since they are required under law to pay the same labor
rate per hour that customers would pay...

So in summary everything looks great and the steering noise is completely
gone, although I am curious now about the stabilizer link item... All in all
they had the car 2+ days and my DC service contract paid for a rental.
I'll have to check the other one, but haven't driven the car much since the
service to see if it's better. Just thought I would let everyone know how
it turned out.

Old October 16th 05, 03:16 PM
Bill Putney

Greg Houston wrote:

> FOLLOW UP:
>
> My dealer was able to correct the front end problem. So here's what
> happened.
>
> 1.) The upper strut mount and bearing assembly was replaced (under my DC
> service contract).
>
> 2.) The dealer had mentioned that the stabilizer bar link on the front right
> side would need to be done too, so I authorized that repair which he
> estimated at about $125. (The front stabilizer bar items are not covered
> under my DC "Added Care" service contract although I noticed the rear would
> have been (haha) .) He gave me the option of doing both sides but
> recommended not doing the left side since there isn't a lot of labor saved
> by doing both of these. As I'm writing this I don't see anything about
> stabilizer bars or stabilizer bar links on the invoice.... Did they not do
> it or not write it up? Interesting.

I question that that was bad. While it wouldn't have been a surprise
for it to be bad on a '99 (not sure how many miles you have on it), if
it was bad, you should have been complaining of a klunking noise when
hitting irregularities (small pot holes, speed bumps) in the road, but
you didn't. $125 is on the upper end of reasonable for that part and
labor - but maybe they're going by a dealer inflated part price and an
inflated book rate. I just know how much the part costs and how long it
takes me to replace one in my driveway.

> 3.) I also had noted that there was a noise (like a bicycle w/ a bad bearing
> makes) coming from the car that is audible from about 15 mph to about 30-35
> mph (when wind/road noise overpowered it). Initially they didn't hear it
> but after the other stuff was fixed, the tech did hear it. So they replaced
> the wheel bearing assembly. The part number for this was 45934500-AA "Hub
> Brake 5005006"
>
> In addition I had them replace the transmission fluid....
> Parts #
> 4796730-AB "FILTR PKG 2117002" $16.15
> 5010884-AA "SEALER RT 1081003" $5.61 seals trans. pan?
> 5013458-AA "FLUID TRA 1081018" $17.67 1 gal ATF+4?
> 5013457-AA "OIL AUTOM 1081018 $4.10 1 qt ATF+4?
>
> I assume the last two are gal/qt respectively for the ATF+4 9602 fluid, but
> it's curious the truncated descriptions are so different. The total cost
> was about $90 as I had a coupon for the transmission fluid change. They
> did say that flushing the fluid is not good for the transmission and the
> service manual does not include flushing for the transmission fluid change.

While the cost is reasonable for what they did, it depends on what they
mean by flushing when they say (1) Flushing is not good for the tranny,
and (2) The service manual doesn't include flushing. Do they mean with
a pressure pumping machine, or do they simply mean that getting all the
old fluid out and putting new fluid in as opposed to only replacing what
you have to (4 to 5 qts.) to drop the pan for a filter change is bad?

In either case, they're on thin ice. I'm looking at the '99 FSM right
now - Schedule B - 48,000 and 96,000 miles: "Change the automatic
transaxle fluid and filter". I guess it's a game of semantics for them
to argue that changing 4 qts. in a 10 qt. system is considered a "change
of fluid". In the procedures section, they describe the
drop-pan-and-add-four-qts. method, and they have a method under a
heading "ALTERNATIVE MAINTENANCE METHODS, TRANSAXLE FLUID EXCHANGER
METHOD". So it's a word game, and they're doing what's in their best
interests. Maybe they truly believe it's harmful to run a high pressure
machine on it, and/or maybe they just don't own one.

If someone objects to pressure flushing then a complete fluid exchange
can be had by using the tranny's own pump (engine running) and letting
it pump it out of the cooler return line. But that would be time and
fluid over and above what it takes to minimally do a filter change.

> As well as the differential fluid....$49.95
> No part numbers listed this time, the last time they did this service it was
> on the invoice. Since I've been noticing an oily substance under the car
> that I later identified as differential fluid leaking out of the vent, I
> requested that they do a TSB repair ( that fixes this. 5011589AA - "VENT
> TRAN 2110023" $25.84 and $25 for the labor. I thought my service contract
> should cover this but oh well.

What does the contract say that would exclude it?

> I also requested that they apply the latest transmission software update for
> the TCM. They found the TSB 18-14-00 (I also have access to all the TSBs
> which is helpful to me) and did this.
>
> UH OH...I just checked and it was actually TSB 18-17-00 (Sept 22 00)
> "kickdown shift quality improvements" that I expected them to do . TSB
> 18-14-00 (Aug 25 00) "4-3 harsh downshift" affects only MY 2000 LH
> vehicles, my Intrepid is a '99. So does this make a difference--would their
> computer have automatically downloaded the latest version of the software
> anyway, so that the updates mentioned in TSB 18-17-00 are now installed?
> The TSB itself doesn't seem to mention any version information, just says to
> download latest software to car and ensure dealer's MDS2 and DRBIII are
> updated to the lastest software.

The TSB also says that "BY LAW" they had to attach two labels to your
vehicle documenting the change. Did they attach those labels properly
filled out? I have a feeling that during the update process their scan
tool phones home and will see the latest firmware available regardless
of which TSB they are trying to (possibly incorrectly) apply.

Perhaps a helpful dealer tech could post here and enlighten you on the
procedure and if their trying to apply the wrong TSB could mean that the
latest correct firmware was not installed. I suspect that they've made
it idiot proof.

I also wonder if the part numbers that they are required by law to fill
out and put on your car are encoded with the firmware revision and not
just a part number for the label itself. Again - can any techs answer that?

Was your car exhibiting symptoms, or were you just wanting to get it up
to the latest firmware?

> I'm curious how labor costs are tabulated....They charged 1/2 hr labor and a
> few cents for the label sticker. The SM mentinoned that they charged less
> than the normal time since I had everything else done too. I'm curious how
> about that since the TSB lists 0.5 Hrs for the job. Is that 0.5 Hrs for
> warranty reimbursement time or time they would charge the customer? I
> understand that dealers typically charge customers more time than the
> factory would pay for the same job if it was under warranty. Factories
> apparently do this since they are required under law to pay the same labor
> rate per hour that customers would pay...
>
> So in summary everything looks great and the steering noise is completely
> gone, although I am curious now about the stabilizer link item...

Should be a simple matter of looking at the end link to see if it's new
or old.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old October 16th 05, 04:51 PM
Greg Houston

Bill Putney wrote:

> Greg Houston wrote:
>
> > FOLLOW UP:
> >
> > My dealer was able to correct the front end problem. So here's what
> > happened.
> >
> > 1.) The upper strut mount and bearing assembly was replaced (under my DC
> > service contract).
> >
> > 2.) The dealer had mentioned that the stabilizer bar link on the front right
> > side would need to be done too, so I authorized that repair which he
> > estimated at about $125. (The front stabilizer bar items are not covered
> > under my DC "Added Care" service contract although I noticed the rear would
> > have been (haha) .) He gave me the option of doing both sides but
> > recommended not doing the left side since there isn't a lot of labor saved
> > by doing both of these. As I'm writing this I don't see anything about
> > stabilizer bars or stabilizer bar links on the invoice.... Did they not do
> > it or not write it up? Interesting.

> I question that that was bad. While it wouldn't have been a surprise
> for it to be bad on a '99 (not sure how many miles you have on it), if
> it was bad, you should have been complaining of a klunking noise when
> hitting irregularities (small pot holes, speed bumps) in the road, but
> you didn't. $125 is on the upper end of reasonable for that part and
> labor - but maybe they're going by a dealer inflated part price and an
> inflated book rate. I just know how much the part costs and how long it
> takes me to replace one in my driveway.

I think the dealer shop rate is $85. Sounds high but is very much in line with
other dealers in my area. Independent mechanics are $65 and up. Yeah I did not
notice any irregular clunks, although when I can I do try not to hit every pot
hole dead on What should I look for to see if they changed this part?

> > 3.) I also had noted that there was a noise (like a bicycle w/ a bad bearing
> > makes) coming from the car that is audible from about 15 mph to about 30-35
> > mph (when wind/road noise overpowered it). Initially they didn't hear it
> > but after the other stuff was fixed, the tech did hear it. So they replaced
> > the wheel bearing assembly. The part number for this was 45934500-AA "Hub
> > Brake 5005006"
> >
> > In addition I had them replace the transmission fluid....
> > Parts #
> > 4796730-AB "FILTR PKG 2117002" $16.15
> > 5010884-AA "SEALER RT 1081003" $5.61 seals trans. pan?
> > 5013458-AA "FLUID TRA 1081018" $17.67 1 gal ATF+4?
> > 5013457-AA "OIL AUTOM 1081018 $4.10 1 qt ATF+4?
> >
> > I assume the last two are gal/qt respectively for the ATF+4 9602 fluid, but
> > it's curious the truncated descriptions are so different. The total cost
> > was about $90 as I had a coupon for the transmission fluid change. They
> > did say that flushing the fluid is not good for the transmission and the
> > service manual does not include flushing for the transmission fluid change.

> While the cost is reasonable for what they did, it depends on what they
> mean by flushing when they say (1) Flushing is not good for the tranny,
> and (2) The service manual doesn't include flushing.

> Do they mean with
> a pressure pumping machine, or do they simply mean that getting all the
> old fluid out and putting new fluid in as opposed to only replacing what
> you have to (4 to 5 qts.) to drop the pan for a filter change is bad?

Oops, a service manager did say flushing is not good (he did say Jiffy Lube style
flushing) but the service manual comment was my take. I do recall that there are
several methods listed in the book but don't recall flushing, just dipstick
extraction method and dropping the pan method. I don't care for that particular
SM and he is not "assigned" to me but was the one working when I took the car in.
From that point on though all contact was through the dealer's service manager who
is pretty good. I didn't think to ask him about the transmission flushing though,
there was a lot else going on with my car...

> In either case, they're on thin ice. I'm looking at the '99 FSM right
> now - Schedule B - 48,000 and 96,000 miles: "Change the automatic
> transaxle fluid and filter". I guess it's a game of semantics for them
> to argue that changing 4 qts. in a 10 qt. system is considered a "change
> of fluid". In the procedures section, they describe the
> drop-pan-and-add-four-qts. method, and they have a method under a
> heading "ALTERNATIVE MAINTENANCE METHODS, TRANSAXLE FLUID EXCHANGER
> METHOD". So it's a word game, and they're doing what's in their best
> interests. Maybe they truly believe it's harmful to run a high pressure
> machine on it, and/or maybe they just don't own one.
>
> If someone objects to pressure flushing then a complete fluid exchange
> can be had by using the tranny's own pump (engine running) and letting
> it pump it out of the cooler return line. But that would be time and
> fluid over and above what it takes to minimally do a filter change.

My car (only) at 48,000 miles so I wanted to have this service done and
conveniently I happened to have a coupon for $84.95+. It was the second time I
had the differential fluid changed. Maybe I should have my next transmission
fluid service done sooner since some fluid might still be old.

> > As well as the differential fluid....$49.95
> > No part numbers listed this time, the last time they did this service it was
> > on the invoice. Since I've been noticing an oily substance under the car
> > that I later identified as differential fluid leaking out of the vent, I
> > requested that they do a TSB repair ( that fixes this. 5011589AA - "VENT
> > TRAN 2110023" $25.84 and $25 for the labor. I thought my service contract
> > should cover this but oh well.

> What does the contract say that would exclude it?

I have the "Added Care" contract and it doesn't seem to include it. He did say
that Chrysler matches every part number they install with the contract in the
computer and I have no reason to doubt this. The contract does say "Transaxle
Case and all Internal Parts; ... Differential Cover; ... but apparently not the
fluid vent.

My contract is similar to this one: http://www.jasperjeep.com/images/addedcare.pdf

I wish I had known about this item (what was leaking out and that there was a TSB
for it) before the factory warranty ran out, but oh well it's not a huge deal.

> > I also requested that they apply the latest transmission software update for
> > the TCM. They found the TSB 18-14-00 (I also have access to all the TSBs
> > which is helpful to me) and did this.
> >
> > UH OH...I just checked and it was actually TSB 18-17-00 (Sept 22 00)
> > "kickdown shift quality improvements" that I expected them to do . TSB
> > 18-14-00 (Aug 25 00) "4-3 harsh downshift" affects only MY 2000 LH
> > vehicles, my Intrepid is a '99. So does this make a difference--would their
> > computer have automatically downloaded the latest version of the software
> > anyway, so that the updates mentioned in TSB 18-17-00 are now installed?
> > The TSB itself doesn't seem to mention any version information, just says to
> > download latest software to car and ensure dealer's MDS2 and DRBIII are
> > updated to the lastest software.

> The TSB also says that "BY LAW" they had to attach two labels to your
> vehicle documenting the change. Did they attach those labels properly
> filled out? I have a feeling that during the update process their scan
> tool phones home and will see the latest firmware available regardless
> of which TSB they are trying to (possibly incorrectly) apply.

Yes I'll be checking on that if it ever stops raining

> Perhaps a helpful dealer tech could post here and enlighten you on the
> procedure and if their trying to apply the wrong TSB could mean that the
> latest correct firmware was not installed. I suspect that they've made
> it idiot proof.
>
> I also wonder if the part numbers that they are required by law to fill
> out and put on your car are encoded with the firmware revision and not
> just a part number for the label itself. Again - can any techs answer that?
>
> Was your car exhibiting symptoms, or were you just wanting to get it up
> to the latest firmware?

Sometimes when downshifting I could get a little clunk sensation from the
transmission if I started to feather the gas and accellerate again. That might be
completely normal for any transmission but I noticed there was a TSB for an update
and thought it would be a reasonable thing to do.

> > I'm curious how labor costs are tabulated....They charged 1/2 hr labor and a
> > few cents for the label sticker. The SM mentinoned that they charged less
> > than the normal time since I had everything else done too. I'm curious how
> > about that since the TSB lists 0.5 Hrs for the job. Is that 0.5 Hrs for
> > warranty reimbursement time or time they would charge the customer? I
> > understand that dealers typically charge customers more time than the
> > factory would pay for the same job if it was under warranty. Factories
> > apparently do this since they are required under law to pay the same labor
> > rate per hour that customers would pay...
> >
> > So in summary everything looks great and the steering noise is completely
> > gone, although I am curious now about the stabilizer link item...

> Should be a simple matter of looking at the end link to see if it's new
> or old.

I also noticed from dodgeintrepid.net and others that the steering rack, radiator
fans, and a/c evaporator are (expensive) weak items for the car. Unfortunately
no problems yet and I doubt there will be until just after the contract expires
this winter... Thanks for all the advice!