Anco wiper blades called a CR best buy

Old October 19th 08, 10:23 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
Bret[_2_]

Default Anco wiper blades called a CR best buy

On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 10:10:12 -0700, jim beam wrote:

> L Alpert wrote:
>> "jim beam" > wrote in message
>> t...

>>> but that's my point!!! it costs almost nothing extra to have a custom
>>> bearing unit specific to the task!!! why should lubricant be any
>>> different? [rhetorical] it's a batch process. it's a piece of cake to
>>> do from a production viewpoint, and can have substantial mechanical
>>> benefits as shown by the way honda atf performs differently to non-honda
>>> atf.

>>> maybe, maybe not. maybe they want lock-in.

>>> go ahead. but you'll be lucky to find anything specific since most
>>> producers go out of their way to keep the public in the dark about this
>>> stuff. there's more to oil than just viscosity index.

>> There is plenty of more specific information available then viscosity index,
>> isuch as SG, viscosity at s 100 deg C, Brookfield Viscosity and Phosphorous
>> % by weight including the ASTM test methods used.
>>
>> Does this tell the whole story, no, not quite,

> can you understate that again please? i'm not sure i failed to
> understand you properly.
>

>> but it is good start for
>> comparison purposes.

> so, yet again, explain why honda atf, in a honda transmission, shifts
> smoothly, but, say, castrol dexron III shifts like arnie's humvee is
> nudging your back bumper? and why when you swap /back/ to honda atf,
> does your transmission shift smoothly again???

> still waiting on that one...

I have trouble with my 89 legend, using Dexron2, the FSM says Dexron2.
Should I try Honda fluid?
Old October 19th 08, 10:32 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
jim beam

Bret wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 10:10:12 -0700, jim beam wrote:
>
>> L Alpert wrote:
>>> "jim beam" > wrote in message
>>> t...

>>> There is plenty of more specific information available then viscosity index,
>>> isuch as SG, viscosity at s 100 deg C, Brookfield Viscosity and Phosphorous
>>> % by weight including the ASTM test methods used.
>>>
>>> Does this tell the whole story, no, not quite,

>> can you understate that again please? i'm not sure i failed to
>> understand you properly.
>>

>>> but it is good start for
>>> comparison purposes.

>> so, yet again, explain why honda atf, in a honda transmission, shifts
>> smoothly, but, say, castrol dexron III shifts like arnie's humvee is
>> nudging your back bumper? and why when you swap /back/ to honda atf,
>> does your transmission shift smoothly again???

>> still waiting on that one...

> I have trouble with my 89 legend, using Dexron2, the FSM says Dexron2.
> Should I try Honda fluid?

what are the symptoms?
Old October 20th 08, 02:31 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
Bret[_2_]

On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 14:32:27 -0700, jim beam wrote:

> Bret wrote:

>>> can you understate that again please? i'm not sure i failed to
>>> understand you properly.

>>> so, yet again, explain why honda atf, in a honda transmission, shifts
>>> smoothly, but, say, castrol dexron III shifts like arnie's humvee is
>>> nudging your back bumper? and why when you swap /back/ to honda atf,
>>> does your transmission shift smoothly again???

>>> still waiting on that one...

>> I have trouble with my 89 legend, using Dexron2, the FSM says Dexron2.
>> Should I try Honda fluid?

> what are the symptoms?

Over-revs first when accelerating at anything other than moderate throttle,
then jumps into third, jumps back to second momentarily then continuues in
third and to fourth.

Old October 20th 08, 02:54 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
jim beam

Bret wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 14:32:27 -0700, jim beam wrote:
>
>> Bret wrote:

>>> I have trouble with my 89 legend, using Dexron2, the FSM says Dexron2.
>>> Should I try Honda fluid?

>> what are the symptoms?

> Over-revs first when accelerating at anything other than moderate throttle,
> then jumps into third, jumps back to second momentarily then continuues in
> third and to fourth.

honda atf will help, but you're better off making sure the kickdown
cable is adjusted correctly [if it has one], that the engine is tuned
right [if it's hunting in anticipation of a climb in rpm's that never
come, it can fluff about like you describe - trust me on that one] and
last but not least, making sure the fluid level is correct. in my old
civics, the atf is measured 30-60 seconds after shutdown, from full
temperature.

of course, you could also have a slipping clutch, but that gets real bad
real quick, and you can isolate it by holding the transmission select in
the suspect gear for diagnosis.

fyi, my crx sometimes does what you describe on cold days. it used to
do it in warmer weather too, but after i undertook the above, and
changed the fluid once, it only does it on the first shift of the day up
a grade. after that, no problems.
Old October 20th 08, 12:20 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
L Alpert[_1_]

"jim beam" > wrote in message
t...
> jim beam wrote:
>> L Alpert wrote:
>>> "jim beam" > wrote in message
>>> t...

>>> Manufacturing is manufacturing. Unless someone can point to a
>>> specification for Honda fluids that actually make them unique from
>>> other good and commonly used SAE equivalent components, I will
>>> continue to use those generics that are readily available.
>>>
>>> While you have historically given very good advice in this
>>> newsgroup and I respect your opinion on just about everything you
>>> post, I have to disagree with the assessment of "Honda only
>>> fluids". It is a common practice for just about every
>>> manufacturer to recommend in their manuals to use only their
>>> fluids as a way of increasing sales of these items.

>> we can agree on that - in principle.
>>

>>> As I have stated before, my own experiences are quite the
>>> opposite of yours, even with the small sample size of 5 Honda
>>> vehicles over 30 years.

>> search the honda newsgroups - there's a tom of people disagree with
>> you on the atf/psf thing.
>>
>> what atf do you use? and how often do you change it?
>>

> no response? what atf do you use? and how often do you change it?

Castrol (use the oil as well). Changes as per the manual.

Old October 20th 08, 12:27 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
L Alpert[_1_]

"jim beam" > wrote in message
t...
>L Alpert wrote:
>> "jim beam" > wrote in message
>> t...

>>> can you understate that again please? i'm not sure i failed to
>>> understand you properly.

>>> so, yet again, explain why honda atf, in a honda transmission,
>>> shifts smoothly, but, say, castrol dexron III shifts like arnie's
>>> humvee is nudging your back bumper? and why when you swap /back/
>>> to honda atf, does your transmission shift smoothly again???
>>>

>> I used dextron III equivalent in my 01 accord, and there was no
>> discernable difference in peformance or shifting of the
>> transmission, so I could not comment on this phenomenon.

> but you seem to have an opinion! how can you have an opinion if
> you're not familiar with the facts?

I cannot experience your "facts".

> and btw, the 01 accord has full electronic transmission control,
> including engine down-power through ignition retardation on
> shifting. so yes, you might well expect a smoother shift than you'd
> get with the older transmissions. but because electronics
> compensate, doesn't mean that the transmission is operating
> optimally as it would with the factory spec atf.

If the transmission is shifting optimally, then it is performing
optimally. There is, after all, not much else for it to do.

>>> still waiting on that one...

> found those specs yet?

I have found them from Castrol, but finding them from the Z1 has
proven to be quite difficult.

Old October 20th 08, 02:07 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
jim beam

L Alpert wrote:
> "jim beam" > wrote in message
> t...
>> L Alpert wrote:
>>> "jim beam" > wrote in message
>>> t...

>>> I used dextron III equivalent in my 01 accord, and there was no
>>> discernable difference in peformance or shifting of the
>>> transmission, so I could not comment on this phenomenon.

>> but you seem to have an opinion! how can you have an opinion if
>> you're not familiar with the facts?

> I cannot experience your "facts".

don't bother with my data - google this group and see how many times
this subject arises, how many times people complain of harsh shifting,
and how many times the cure is reversion to honda atf.

>> and btw, the 01 accord has full electronic transmission control,
>> including engine down-power through ignition retardation on
>> shifting. so yes, you might well expect a smoother shift than you'd
>> get with the older transmissions. but because electronics
>> compensate, doesn't mean that the transmission is operating
>> optimally as it would with the factory spec atf.

> If the transmission is shifting optimally, then it is performing
> optimally. There is, after all, not much else for it to do.

i guess you're invested in that position now! but if you've only done
drain and fill once, you're still about 70% honda atf.

>> found those specs yet?

> I have found them from Castrol, but finding them from the Z1 has
> proven to be quite difficult.

surprise.
Old October 20th 08, 04:01 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
L Alpert[_1_]

"jim beam" > wrote in message
>L Alpert wrote:
>> "jim beam" > wrote in message
>> t...

>>> but you seem to have an opinion! how can you have an opinion if you're
>>> not familiar with the facts?

>> I cannot experience your "facts".

> don't bother with my data - google this group and see how many times this
> subject arises, how many times people complain of harsh shifting, and how
> many times the cure is reversion to honda atf.
>

>>> and btw, the 01 accord has full electronic transmission control,
>>> including engine down-power through ignition retardation on shifting. so
>>> yes, you might well expect a smoother shift than you'd get with the
>>> older transmissions. but because electronics compensate, doesn't mean
>>> that the transmission is operating optimally as it would with the
>>> factory spec atf.

>> If the transmission is shifting optimally, then it is performing
>> optimally. There is, after all, not much else for it to do.

> i guess you're invested in that position now! but if you've only done
> drain and fill once, you're still about 70% honda atf.

Why change the subject and assume that I used some type of shortcut and that
is why I had no issues with non-Honda ATF?

Maybe it might have something to do with the mileage on the transmission and
the year of the car itself. As you stated, the '01 Accord EX tranny has
electronic means to assist in the shifting, and I'm sure my '04 Accord EX
and '02 Civic EX would have the same or similar hardware. As well, none of
them have over 80k miles on them, and I have had no issues with any of them
shifting. As far as the older Honda's I have owned over the years, they
have not had automatic transmissions.

As for as an "investment" in a position, that in itself is another matter of
opinion. It is a shame that you have to feel as if any position has to be
some sort of an investment as opposed to an open exchange of ideas.

>>> found those specs yet?

>> I have found them from Castrol, but finding them from the Z1 has proven
>> to be quite difficult.

> surprise.

Not really. It was what I expected.

Old October 21st 08, 03:34 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
jim beam

L Alpert wrote:
> "jim beam" > wrote in message
>> L Alpert wrote:
>>> "jim beam" > wrote in message
>>> t...

>>> I cannot experience your "facts".

>> don't bother with my data - google this group and see how many times this
>> subject arises, how many times people complain of harsh shifting, and how
>> many times the cure is reversion to honda atf.

>>> If the transmission is shifting optimally, then it is performing
>>> optimally. There is, after all, not much else for it to do.

>> i guess you're invested in that position now! but if you've only done
>> drain and fill once, you're still about 70% honda atf.

> Why change the subject and assume that I used some type of shortcut and that
> is why I had no issues with non-Honda ATF?

i'm not changing the subject. and drain-and-fill is honda factory
procedure. if you do that, you'll only change 30-odd percent of the
fluid each time. hence you may not have "contaminated" the fluid
sufficiently to have an adverse effect.

> Maybe it might have something to do with the mileage on the transmission and
> the year of the car itself. As you stated, the '01 Accord EX tranny has
> electronic means to assist

it's not electronic assist, it's electronic control. different things.
the actuators are still hydraulic.

> in the shifting, and I'm sure my '04 Accord EX
> and '02 Civic EX would have the same or similar hardware. As well, none of
> them have over 80k miles on them, and I have had no issues with any of them
> shifting.

at only 80k miles, you shouldn't be changing the fluid anyway!

> As far as the older Honda's I have owned over the years, they
> have not had automatic transmissions.
>
> As for as an "investment" in a position, that in itself is another matter of
> opinion. It is a shame that you have to feel as if any position has to be
> some sort of an investment as opposed to an open exchange of ideas.

someone is "invested" in their position is they stick to it, regardless
of contrary fact. you are indeed invested.

>>> I have found them from Castrol, but finding them from the Z1 has proven
>>> to be quite difficult.

>> surprise.

> Not really. It was what I expected.

me too. but i wasn't making assertions that i could find the data like
you were!
Old October 21st 08, 02:31 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
L Alpert[_1_]

"jim beam" > wrote in message
t...
>L Alpert wrote:

>>> don't bother with my data - google this group and see how many times
>>> this subject arises, how many times people complain of harsh shifting,
>>> and how many times the cure is reversion to honda atf.

>>> i guess you're invested in that position now! but if you've only done
>>> drain and fill once, you're still about 70% honda atf.

>> Why change the subject and assume that I used some type of shortcut and
>> that is why I had no issues with non-Honda ATF?

> i'm not changing the subject. and drain-and-fill is honda factory
> procedure. if you do that, you'll only change 30-odd percent of the fluid
> each time. hence you may not have "contaminated" the fluid sufficiently
> to have an adverse effect.
>

>> Maybe it might have something to do with the mileage on the transmission
>> and the year of the car itself. As you stated, the '01 Accord EX tranny
>> has electronic means to assist

> it's not electronic assist, it's electronic control. different things.
> the actuators are still hydraulic.

Symantics.

>> in the shifting, and I'm sure my '04 Accord EX and '02 Civic EX would
>> have the same or similar hardware. As well, none of them have over 80k
>> miles on them, and I have had no issues with any of them shifting.

> at only 80k miles, you shouldn't be changing the fluid anyway!
>

>> As far as the older Honda's I have owned over the years, they have not
>> had automatic transmissions.
>>
>> As for as an "investment" in a position, that in itself is another matter
>> of opinion. It is a shame that you have to feel as if any position has
>> to be some sort of an investment as opposed to an open exchange of ideas.

> someone is "invested" in their position is they stick to it, regardless of
> contrary fact. you are indeed invested.

It is obvious that your prejudices and your afinity to be right no matter
what has affected your abilities to have any useful discussions. As such, I
refuse to continue this discussion to the point that it degenerates into a
typical usenet flamewar that will eventually have Godwin's law apply.

Let's just say we agree to disagree and leave it at that. If you chose to
continue the conversation, you may do so with yourself.

>>> surprise.

>> Not really. It was what I expected.

> me too. but i wasn't making assertions that i could find the data like
> you were!

Anco wiper blades called a CR best buy [email protected] Technology 108 October 29th 08 03:36 AM
Wiper Blades Scott Dorsey Technology 2 August 11th 08 09:16 PM
Wiper blades Terry Driving 12 October 10th 06 12:09 AM
73 wiper blades? LeRoy Prosic VW air cooled 1 April 19th 06 01:36 PM
Wiper Blades Gary Mazda 16 January 14th 05 10:48 PM