Anco wiper blades called a CR best buy

Old October 16th 08, 02:38 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
L Alpert

Default Anco wiper blades called a CR best buy

"Bob Jones" > wrote in message

> "L Alpert" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Retired VIP" > wrote in message

>>> I have already given up, these folks in the newsgroups don't
>>> understand the economics of manufacturing. Off the shelf is always
>>> cheaper than custom and, if care is used in selecting a supplier, just
>>> as good. The older style iron block / aluminum head engines as well
>>> as the aluminum block / iron head did require a special coolant
>>> because the stuff for all-iron engines would promote electrolysis. But
>>> new all aluminum engines need something that won't attack aluminum and
>>> that includes almost every coolant manufactured today.
>>>
>>> Read the label on the jug of coolant. Do you really think any of the
>>> coolant manufactures are going to claim to be compatible with all
>>> types of antifreezes if they aren't? Just imagine all the lawsuits
>>> that would set up and the billions of dollars in judgments.
>>>
>>> Jack

>> The only issue is the standard manufacturers disclaimer that if one does
>> not use the branded products, the warranty may be voided (no matter how
>> unreasonable that is).
>>
>> While I'm sure that one could prove equivalency in a court of law, no one
>> probably wants to be the test case.
>>
>> This could be a mitigating factor for most.
>>

> In addition, corrosion is a slow process. Who is going to notice the
> difference? It affects the water pump or radiator more than the engine.

Whose to say another manufacturer doesn't make a product that is superior
performance?

Old October 16th 08, 02:39 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
L Alpert

"Retired VIP" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 18:24:31 -0400, "L Alpert"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Retired VIP" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> I have already given up, these folks in the newsgroups don't
>>> understand the economics of manufacturing. Off the shelf is always
>>> cheaper than custom and, if care is used in selecting a supplier, just
>>> as good. The older style iron block / aluminum head engines as well
>>> as the aluminum block / iron head did require a special coolant
>>> because the stuff for all-iron engines would promote electrolysis. But
>>> new all aluminum engines need something that won't attack aluminum and
>>> that includes almost every coolant manufactured today.
>>>
>>> Read the label on the jug of coolant. Do you really think any of the
>>> coolant manufactures are going to claim to be compatible with all
>>> types of antifreezes if they aren't? Just imagine all the lawsuits
>>> that would set up and the billions of dollars in judgments.
>>>
>>> Jack

>>The only issue is the standard manufacturers disclaimer that if one does
>>not
>>use the branded products, the warranty may be voided (no matter how
>>unreasonable that is).
>>
>>While I'm sure that one could prove equivalency in a court of law, no one
>>probably wants to be the test case.
>>
>>This could be a mitigating factor for most.
>>

> I understand. The manufacturer has no control over what fluids you
> buy. So protect his pocket, he has to ensure that you use quality
> products hence the threat of no warranty coverage if you don't use his
> stuff. No one has said, and I'm not implying, that the manufacturer's
> branded product is inferior to OTC products. But the burden of proof
> is on you. You would have to prove that the product you use meets the
> manufacturer's specs. Once you do that, I think most dealers would
> honor the warranty. There have been numerous lawsuits over just this
> kind of thing.
>
> Jack

That is a pretty accurate summary.

Old October 16th 08, 08:42 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech

"Bob Jones" > wrote:

> wrote in message
>> Even the OEM ones don't seem to last as long these days.
>>

>> http://www.freep.com/article/2008100...810070338/1014
>>
>> For a streak-free windshield, Consumer Reports recommends a wiper made
>> by Southfield-based Federal-Mogul Corp.
>>
>> The magazine tested and ranked 15 models of wiper blades for its
>> November issue, and Federal-Mogul's Anco 31 Series model offered one
>> of the best values.

Has anyone tried above recommendations?
Old October 18th 08, 03:42 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
jim beam

Retired VIP wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 08:53:26 -0400, "L Alpert" >
> wrote:
>
>> "Bob Jones" > wrote in message
>> news
>>>>
>>> What year is your Honda? Maybe older models are not subject to this
>>> kind of requirements.
>>>
>>> On my 2005 service manual, it clearly say that non-Honda antifreeze
>>> could lead to corrossion. I am not sure if Prestone will do that but
>>> why take the chance. Antifreeze is much cheaper than a water pump or
>>> a radiator.
>>>

>> '79 Accord, '82 Accord, '01 Accord, '02 Civic, '04 Accord (the '01 and
>> '04 Accords are current). Non silicate DAT type antifreeze is all
>> that is required for newer Honda vehicles, a type that every major
>> manufacturer makes.
>>
>> Why would Honda require a coolant different than Audi, Nissan, Toyota,
>> Subaru, Jaguar, Porsche or (place your brand of vehicle here)? Would
>> all of these auto manufacturers as well as all of the others specify
>> something different?
>>

> I have already given up, these folks in the newsgroups don't
> understand the economics of manufacturing.

well, /someone/ doesn't understand economics of manufacturing. if you
have a modern plant, use a batch process, and have different specs for
different bulk customers, you'd be a damned fool to supply material
over-spec just because you couldn't be bothered to push a few buttons on
your metering flow controls.

> Off the shelf is always
> cheaper than custom and, if care is used in selecting a supplier, just
> as good. The older style iron block / aluminum head engines as well
> as the aluminum block / iron head did require a special coolant
> because the stuff for all-iron engines would promote electrolysis. But
> new all aluminum engines need something that won't attack aluminum and
> that includes almost every coolant manufactured today.

go to woolmort - you can still get non-aluminum anti-freeze.

> Read the label on the jug of coolant. Do you really think any of the
> coolant manufactures are going to claim to be compatible with all
> types of antifreezes if they aren't? Just imagine all the lawsuits
> that would set up and the billions of dollars in judgments.

like this?
http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com...ntifreeze.html
Old October 18th 08, 03:43 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
jim beam

L Alpert wrote:
> "Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> "L Alpert" > wrote:
>>
>>> I have never had an issue with the Hondas I have owned over the
>>> past 30
>>> years or so using off the shelf items such as ATF, antifreeze,
>>> brake fluid,
>>> oil, etc.
>>>
>>> I seriously doubt that there is anything "special" about them other
>>> than the
>>> label.

>> Go ahead, then, use non-Honda ATF and tell us what you think.
>>
>> Same with coolant.
>>
>> Shoot, same with power steering fluid nowadays.
>>
>> They're all part of a complex system that's highly engineered. Long
>> gone are the days of everybody using the same stuff that's off the
>> shelf
>> at Goober's gas station.

> Systems are engineered using available standard materials.

not always true - look at clutch thrust bearings. bearings are a
commodity "material" with stock bearings available for every conceivable
application. but auto manufacturers spec clutch thrust bearings that
are almost always different and exclusive from any of the off-the-shelf
solutions. because they can.

> I have seen
> no indications that Honda has used systems that has forced or required
> a technological breakthrough in auto fluids.

then you're not looking and you're not paying attention to the facts.
honda auto transmissions are not standard planetary honda gear trains,
they use a "stick" transmission configuration with clutch packs instead
of synchros. and they use one-way clutches too. on that basis, i
personally have absolutely no trouble believing they'd need a different
spec fluid. there's nothing "forcing" them to do it that way, but honda
are different. oh, and there's nothing "forcing" honda to make a car
that will routinely last, 300k, 500k, or more miles. but honda are
different.

Old October 18th 08, 03:43 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
jim beam

L Alpert wrote:
> "Bob Jones" > wrote in message
> news
>>> I have had Honda vehicles for 30+ years, and never used any Honda
>>> branded fluids, and never had an issue, though my personal
>>> experiences are a small sample size as well, even if they differ
>>> from yours.
>>>

>> What year is your Honda? Maybe older models are not subject to this
>> kind of requirements.
>>
>> On my 2005 service manual, it clearly say that non-Honda antifreeze
>> could lead to corrossion. I am not sure if Prestone will do that but
>> why take the chance. Antifreeze is much cheaper than a water pump or
>> a radiator.
>>

> '79 Accord, '82 Accord, '01 Accord, '02 Civic, '04 Accord (the '01 and
> '04 Accords are current). Non silicate DAT type antifreeze is all
> that is required for newer Honda vehicles, a type that every major
> manufacturer makes.

how many coolant pump failures have you had? and why did you bother to
use non-silicate if this subject is such a non-issue?

> Why would Honda require a coolant different than Audi, Nissan, Toyota,
> Subaru, Jaguar, Porsche or (place your brand of vehicle here)? Would
> all of these auto manufacturers as well as all of the others specify
> something different?

easy - longevity. japanese manufacturers differentiate themselves with
longevity. europeans don't design for mileage much over 100k. in fact,
they frequently design /against/ it. why waste money on a higher spec
coolant if the car's only got so long to live?
Old October 18th 08, 06:38 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
sharx35

"jim beam" > wrote in message
> L Alpert wrote:
>> "Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote in message

>>> Go ahead, then, use non-Honda ATF and tell us what you think.
>>>
>>> Same with coolant.
>>>
>>> Shoot, same with power steering fluid nowadays.
>>>
>>> They're all part of a complex system that's highly engineered. Long
>>> gone are the days of everybody using the same stuff that's off the shelf
>>> at Goober's gas station.

>> Systems are engineered using available standard materials.

> not always true - look at clutch thrust bearings. bearings are a
> commodity "material" with stock bearings available for every conceivable
> application. but auto manufacturers spec clutch thrust bearings that are
> almost always different and exclusive from any of the off-the-shelf
> solutions. because they can.
>
>> I have seen no indications that Honda has used systems that has forced or
>> required a technological breakthrough in auto fluids.

> then you're not looking and you're not paying attention to the facts.
> honda auto transmissions are not standard planetary honda gear trains,
> they use a "stick" transmission configuration with clutch packs instead of
> synchros. and they use one-way clutches too. on that basis, i personally
> have absolutely no trouble believing they'd need a different spec fluid.
> there's nothing "forcing" them to do it that way, but honda are different.
> oh, and there's nothing "forcing" honda to make a car that will routinely
> last, 300k, 500k, or more miles. but honda are different.

This is a TOYOTA newsgroup. Why are you polluting it with Honda stuff?

Old October 18th 08, 02:52 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
jim beam

Sharx35 wrote:

> "jim beam" > wrote in message
>> L Alpert wrote:

>>> Systems are engineered using available standard materials.

>> not always true - look at clutch thrust bearings. bearings are a
>> commodity "material" with stock bearings available for every
>> conceivable application. but auto manufacturers spec clutch thrust
>> bearings that are almost always different and exclusive from any of
>> the off-the-shelf solutions. because they can.
>>
>>> I have seen no indications that Honda has used systems that has
>>> forced or required a technological breakthrough in auto fluids.

>> then you're not looking and you're not paying attention to the facts.
>> honda auto transmissions are not standard planetary honda gear trains,
>> they use a "stick" transmission configuration with clutch packs
>> instead of synchros. and they use one-way clutches too. on that
>> basis, i personally have absolutely no trouble believing they'd need a
>> different spec fluid. there's nothing "forcing" them to do it that
>> way, but honda are different. oh, and there's nothing "forcing" honda
>> to make a car that will routinely last, 300k, 500k, or more miles.
>> but honda are different.
>>

> This is a TOYOTA newsgroup. Why are you polluting it with Honda stuff?

because if you follow the thread, you'll see it was originally posted to
alt.autos.toyota.camry, alt.autos.toyota, rec.autos.makers.honda and
rec.autos.tech, that's why.

Old October 18th 08, 02:52 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
jim beam

jim beam wrote:
> L Alpert wrote:
>> "Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote in message

>>> Go ahead, then, use non-Honda ATF and tell us what you think.
>>>
>>> Same with coolant.
>>>
>>> Shoot, same with power steering fluid nowadays.
>>>
>>> They're all part of a complex system that's highly engineered. Long
>>> gone are the days of everybody using the same stuff that's off the shelf
>>> at Goober's gas station.

>> Systems are engineered using available standard materials.

> not always true - look at clutch thrust bearings. bearings are a
> commodity "material" with stock bearings available for every conceivable
> application. but auto manufacturers spec clutch thrust bearings that
> are almost always different and exclusive from any of the off-the-shelf
> solutions. because they can.
>
>> I have seen no indications that Honda has used systems that has forced
>> or required a technological breakthrough in auto fluids.

> then you're not looking and you're not paying attention to the facts.
> honda auto transmissions are not standard planetary honda gear trains,

whoops, too many hondas. should be:

"honda auto transmissions are not standard planetary gear trains".

Old October 18th 08, 02:53 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
jim beam

jim beam wrote:
> L Alpert wrote:
>> "jim beam" > wrote in message
>> t...

>>> indeed. but i return to the original point - i can tell you from
>>> experience that two "generic" products used on hondas are not
>>> generic at all - atf and p/s fluid. just because others practice
>>> what you say, doesn't mean they all do.

>> Manufacturing is manufacturing. Unless someone can point to a
>> specification for Honda fluids that actually make them unique from
>> other good and commonly used SAE equivalent components, I will
>> continue to use those generics that are readily available.
>>
>> While you have historically given very good advice in this newsgroup
>> and I respect your opinion on just about everything you post, I have
>> to disagree with the assessment of "Honda only fluids". It is a
>> common practice for just about every manufacturer to recommend in
>> their manuals to use only their fluids as a way of increasing sales of
>> these items.

> we can agree on that - in principle.
>

>> As I have stated before, my own experiences are quite the opposite of
>> yours, even with the small sample size of 5 Honda vehicles over 30 years.

> search the honda newsgroups - there's a tom of people disagree with you
> on the atf/psf thing.
>
> what atf do you use? and how often do you change it?

no response? what atf do you use? and how often do you change it?

Anco wiper blades called a CR best buy [email protected] Technology 108 October 29th 08 03:36 AM
Wiper Blades Scott Dorsey Technology 2 August 11th 08 09:16 PM
Wiper blades Terry Driving 12 October 10th 06 12:09 AM
73 wiper blades? LeRoy Prosic VW air cooled 1 April 19th 06 01:36 PM
Wiper Blades Gary Mazda 16 January 14th 05 10:48 PM