Front end noise - Intrepid 99

Old May 31st 07, 04:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Default Front end noise - Intrepid 99

My 1999 Intrepid has a rather unusual problem (which currently has
72,000 miles on the odometer) that has been bothering me since I
bought it a year ago. It was intermittent but now its more often than
not. There seems to be an odd clacking noise in the front end, and I
can't figure out what's been causing it.
The clacking sound usually occurs (on the passenger's side I suppose)
when I hit bumps or dips on the road regardless of speed but recently
I started hearing it while driving in a straight street at 30 mph. It
is the same clacking noise but a prolonged one. It looks like a loosen
part hitting another.
I've had two mechanics look at this problem since March, and neither
of them could find anything wrong (the noise went away at the
inspection times). Both of them said that the suspension components
seem to be tight and in good order.
I'm stumped as to what may be causing this noise. If I have my car
jacked up what should I look at? Can I figure out what the problem is
by simply touching the front end parts?
I'd also like to know -- is this normal for the car's old age, or is
it a sign of a major failure waiting to happen?

Old May 31st 07, 06:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Doug

On 30 May 2007 20:28:21 -0700, "
> wrote:

>My 1999 Intrepid has a rather unusual problem (which currently has
>72,000 miles on the odometer) that has been bothering me since I
>bought it a year ago. It was intermittent but now its more often than
>not. There seems to be an odd clacking noise in the front end, and I
>can't figure out what's been causing it.
>The clacking sound usually occurs (on the passenger's side I suppose)
>when I hit bumps or dips on the road regardless of speed but recently
>I started hearing it while driving in a straight street at 30 mph. It
>is the same clacking noise but a prolonged one. It looks like a loosen
>part hitting another.
>I've had two mechanics look at this problem since March, and neither
>of them could find anything wrong (the noise went away at the
>inspection times). Both of them said that the suspension components
>seem to be tight and in good order.
>I'm stumped as to what may be causing this noise. If I have my car
>jacked up what should I look at? Can I figure out what the problem is
>by simply touching the front end parts?
>I'd also like to know -- is this normal for the car's old age, or is
>it a sign of a major failure waiting to happen?

The noise is quite possibly due to worn sway bar bushing or struts.
It's a common problem with Chrysler products. Don't worry - nothing
like a wheel will fall off.
The noise will gradually get worse, especially on colder days when
parts contract and the spacing gets bigger.

Doug
Old May 31st 07, 11:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
damnnickname

Have the stabilizer links checked

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old June 1st 07, 01:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

damnnickname wrote:
> Have the stabilizer links checked
>
> Glenn Beasley
> Chrysler Tech

I agree 50%. Check stabilizer links (sway bar end links) *and* sway bar
bushings (not always obvious just by looking at them - they're so
inexpensive, it's best to just replace them if they're in question).
Either of those being worn out can cause pretty much the same symptom
you are experiencing - and they both are a very common wear-out part on
the LH cars.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old June 1st 07, 08:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

On May 31, 4:09 pm, Bill Putney > wrote:
> damnnickname wrote:
> > Have the stabilizer links checked

> > Glenn Beasley
> > Chrysler Tech

> I agree 50%. Check stabilizer links (sway bar end links) *and* sway bar
> bushings (not always obvious just by looking at them - they're so
> inexpensive, it's best to just replace them if they're in question).
> Either of those being worn out can cause pretty much the same symptom
> you are experiencing - and they both are a very common wear-out part on
> the LH cars.
>
> Bill Putney
> (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
> address with the letter 'x')

Thank you Doug, Glenn and Bill for your opinions. They're very
important to me. However, before I check them out, I'd like to know
how many hours of labour would take to fix each suggestion, because
I'm pretty sure one of them will be the problem. I don't want to get
caught on short notice when they give me the estimate with the fixing
costs. I need to be ready for a quick answer/decision about accepting
it.

Rod

Old June 2nd 07, 02:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Joe[_3_]

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> On May 31, 4:09 pm, Bill Putney > wrote:
>> damnnickname wrote:
>> > Have the stabilizer links checked

>> > Glenn Beasley
>> > Chrysler Tech

>> I agree 50%. Check stabilizer links (sway bar end links) *and* sway bar
>> bushings (not always obvious just by looking at them - they're so
>> inexpensive, it's best to just replace them if they're in question).
>> Either of those being worn out can cause pretty much the same symptom
>> you are experiencing - and they both are a very common wear-out part on
>> the LH cars.
>>
>> Bill Putney
>> (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
>> address with the letter 'x')

> Thank you Doug, Glenn and Bill for your opinions. They're very
> important to me. However, before I check them out, I'd like to know
> how many hours of labour would take to fix each suggestion, because
> I'm pretty sure one of them will be the problem. I don't want to get
> caught on short notice when they give me the estimate with the fixing
> costs. I need to be ready for a quick answer/decision about accepting
> it.

I'd be really shocked if it wasn't the swaybar end links.

Old July 2nd 07, 10:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> On May 31, 4:09 pm, Bill Putney > wrote:
> > damnnickname wrote:
> > > Have the stabilizer links checked

> > > Glenn Beasley
> > > Chrysler Tech

> > I agree 50%. Check stabilizer links (sway bar end links) *and* sway bar
> > bushings (not always obvious just by looking at them - they're so
> > inexpensive, it's best to just replace them if they're in question).
> > Either of those being worn out can cause pretty much the same symptom
> > you are experiencing - and they both are a very common wear-out part on
> > the LH cars.
> >
> > Bill Putney
> > (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
> > address with the letter 'x')

> Thank you Doug, Glenn and Bill for your opinions. They're very
> important to me. However, before I check them out, I'd like to know
> how many hours of labour would take to fix each suggestion, because
> I'm pretty sure one of them will be the problem. I don't want to get
> caught on short notice when they give me the estimate with the fixing
> costs. I need to be ready for a quick answer/decision about accepting
> it.
>
> Rod

Anywhere from 1 to 2 hrs to do both links and bushings

Glenn