Accord 2000 LX - Ignition key stuck, and then can't start the car. Pls help!

Old July 25th 05, 05:13 AM

Default Accord 2000 LX - Ignition key stuck, and then can't start the car. Pls help!

I parked my car as I do every day, but then I could not get the key out
of ignition. It was just stuck in there. I turned the wheel back and
forth, tried to start the engine again - it would not start. After
several laborious attempts of turning the key back and forth, I got my
key out. I decided to start the engine again just to make sure it's OK
- it would not start anymore. I would just hear some clickings sounds,
my instrumental panel lit up as usual but the car would not start -
there was no sound of alternator running, just some clicking noise.
Tried several times - the same result.

Anyone knows what can be done to at least fix it temporarily so I can
drive to the Honda dealer?

Thanks!!!

Old July 26th 05, 02:15 AM
TeGGeR®

wrote in
oups.com:

> I parked my car as I do every day, but then I could not get the key out
> of ignition. It was just stuck in there. I turned the wheel back and
> forth, tried to start the engine again - it would not start. After
> several laborious attempts of turning the key back and forth, I got my
> key out.

A repost of somebody else's similar incident:
"My friend purchased a (transmission) console switch from
www.hparts.com .
The part is Honda# 35700-SM4-A91 hpart# 327830 and the price was $31.63
plus $5.62 S&H. She had a very experienced amateur install it. He looked
at the manual briefly then went out and installed it in under 20 minutes.
It should be pretty straight forward for anyone with just a little
experience, only slightly tricky part is to adjust it (if necessary) so
that the indicator lights match the shift lever position.

"Results: Since installing the switch January 2000, she has had absolutely
no problem with it. Previously the car would always experience the
syndrome until it had been warmed up for at least 20 minutes on even a
moderately cold day.

"To recap the symptoms:

"- Vehicle is 1990+ Accord with AT (others with AT may be affected
also)
- Problem is strongly linked to cold temperatures.
- Key cannot be removed after shifting into P
- Dash indicator light does not indicate "P" even though transmission
is positively in P
- Car cannot be shifted out of P after this has happened
- Problem solves itself when the "P" indicator lights which occurs
after a period of time related to the interior temperature of the car."

> I decided to start the engine again just to make sure it's OK
> - it would not start anymore. I would just hear some clickings sounds,
> my instrumental panel lit up as usual but the car would not start -
> there was no sound of alternator running, just some clicking noise.
> Tried several times - the same result.

May be unrelated. Sounds like
1) ignition switch bad
2) poor/dirty/corroded power or ground connections at starter or battery

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/