Vette May Go To A Turbo V8

Old May 26th 11, 11:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
NoOp[_2_]

Default Vette May Go To A Turbo V8

What goes under the hood of the Vette generally finds its way to the
Camaro. So could a turbo motor find a home in the Mustang?

GM is setting its sights on European buyers with the next-generation
Chevy Corvette. GM's Mark Reuss has also already stated that the next
Corvette will be "completely different." We've heard so many rumors
about what could be in planned for the next Corvette, including a mid-
engined layout and a split rear window.

The Corvette has always been about large V8s, but according to The
Detroit Bureau, GM may also be working on a small turbocharged V8
engine that would appeal to European sports car buyers. If the reports
are true, GM has approved the use of a small V8 that is slightly
larger than 3 liters in displacement and will be of an overhead-cam
with a dry sump oil system. The small turbocharged V8 is expected to
put out over 400 horsepower and could have a red line near 10,000
rpms.

Patrick
Old May 30th 11, 06:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
huhie

"Rich" > wrote in message
> NoOp > wrote in news:c434156c-9814-468a-a62b-
> :
>
>> What goes under the hood of the Vette generally finds its way to the
>> Camaro. So could a turbo motor find a home in the Mustang?
>>
>> GM is setting its sights on European buyers with the next-generation
>> Chevy Corvette. GM's Mark Reuss has also already stated that the next
>> Corvette will be "completely different." We've heard so many rumors
>> about what could be in planned for the next Corvette, including a mid-
>> engined layout and a split rear window.
>>
>> The Corvette has always been about large V8s, but according to The
>> Detroit Bureau, GM may also be working on a small turbocharged V8
>> engine that would appeal to European sports car buyers. If the reports
>> are true, GM has approved the use of a small V8 that is slightly
>> larger than 3 liters in displacement and will be of an overhead-cam
>> with a dry sump oil system. The small turbocharged V8 is expected to
>> put out over 400 horsepower and could have a red line near 10,000
>> rpms.
>>
>> Patrick
>>

> Are they planning on dropping the weight of the Camaro? I can just see an
> engine that small in a 4000lb car.

why use a turbo? use a supercharger, simpler + more reliable

Old May 30th 11, 10:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Rich

"huhie" > wrote in
:

> "Rich" > wrote in message
>> NoOp > wrote in news:c434156c-9814-468a-a62b-
>> :
>>
>>> What goes under the hood of the Vette generally finds its way to the
>>> Camaro. So could a turbo motor find a home in the Mustang?
>>>
>>> GM is setting its sights on European buyers with the next-generation
>>> Chevy Corvette. GM's Mark Reuss has also already stated that the
>>> next Corvette will be "completely different." We've heard so many
>>> rumors about what could be in planned for the next Corvette,
>>> including a mid- engined layout and a split rear window.
>>>
>>> The Corvette has always been about large V8s, but according to The
>>> Detroit Bureau, GM may also be working on a small turbocharged V8
>>> engine that would appeal to European sports car buyers. If the
>>> reports are true, GM has approved the use of a small V8 that is
>>> slightly larger than 3 liters in displacement and will be of an
>>> overhead-cam with a dry sump oil system. The small turbocharged V8
>>> is expected to put out over 400 horsepower and could have a red line
>>> near 10,000 rpms.
>>>
>>> Patrick
>>>

>> Are they planning on dropping the weight of the Camaro? I can just
>> see an engine that small in a 4000lb car.

> why use a turbo? use a supercharger, simpler + more reliable

Trying to appeal to the "Tuner" crowd? Maybe it comes with stickers?
Old June 1st 11, 02:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
NoOp[_3_]

On May 30, 4:14*pm, Rich > wrote:
> "huhie" > wrote :
>

> > "Rich" > wrote in message
> m...
> >> NoOp > wrote in news:c434156c-9814-468a-a62b-
> >> :

> >> Are they planning on dropping the weight of the Camaro? *I can just
> >> see an engine that small in a 4000lb car.

> > why use a turbo? *use a supercharger, simpler + more reliable

> Trying to appeal to the "Tuner" crowd? * Maybe it comes with stickers?

Turbos don't have a constant parasitic drag on the engine like S/Cs
do, so they should be more fuel efficient.

Patrick
Old June 1st 11, 03:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

Thus spake NoOp > :

>On May 30, 4:14*pm, Rich > wrote:
>> "huhie" > wrote :

>> > why use a turbo? *use a supercharger, simpler + more reliable

>> Trying to appeal to the "Tuner" crowd? * Maybe it comes with stickers?

>Turbos don't have a constant parasitic drag on the engine like S/Cs
>do, so they should be more fuel efficient.
>
>Patrick

The turbo's main issue is lag. But you're average Vette street jockey
isn't going to care. Most will only be using it for that kind of
punch past half throttle.

Alpha Romeo "fixed" the lag problem many years ago by using two
turbos, a small one and a big one. There was some sort of mechanisiam
between the two to control how they worked. I think they were in
series. Can't remember, that was way, way too long ago. I'll try to
find it.

Parasitic drag of a supercharger? Well, it's claimed that at the top
end, at Dodge Hemi (which means what?) doesn't have the umph to spin
the 14-71 on a Top Fueler. Austin Coil once said it cost them 8 or 9%
at the top end, but that a turbo would never give them the 60 ft
numbers that win a race (assuming the motor is still running at 61 ft)
--

- dillon I am not invalid

"You idiots, it's rape, pillage,THEN BURN!!!"
--- chief of the Aggie Vikings