2005 Automatic

Old February 2nd 10, 03:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Shoe

Default 2005 Automatic

My 2005 Limited V8 is starting to show some problems with the
automatic transmission. The truck has about 80,000 miles and is
starting to have a hard downshift from overdrive when I come to a stop
after driving at highway speed. This morning I put it in reverse to
back out of a parking space and nothing happened. I pressed down on
the gas some thinking the tires were obstructed in some way and it
suddenly slammed into gear and jumped back. Could have been bad news
if anyone was behind me. I guess the obvious first step is to have
the transmission flushed. Anyone have any thoughts?
Old February 2nd 10, 11:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
PeterD

On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 10:56:02 -0500, Shoe > wrote:

>My 2005 Limited V8 is starting to show some problems with the
>automatic transmission. The truck has about 80,000 miles and is
>starting to have a hard downshift from overdrive when I come to a stop
>after driving at highway speed. This morning I put it in reverse to
>back out of a parking space and nothing happened. I pressed down on
>the gas some thinking the tires were obstructed in some way and it
>suddenly slammed into gear and jumped back. Could have been bad news
>if anyone was behind me. I guess the obvious first step is to have
>the transmission flushed. Anyone have any thoughts?

Check fluid level.
Check fluid condition.

Often times the 'flush' systems do more damage than they fix. A
conventional drop the pan and replace the filter is usually better.