4x4 Buying Recommendations

Old December 3rd 04, 01:10 AM
Mike Romain

"JohnQ.Public" wrote:

> > I was thinking about a Jeep. I prefer the CJ7, but perhaps there
> >is something better. The guys at my office think I should get a
> >Cherokee but I don't really like the Cherokee. Any suggestions would
> >be appreciated.
> >

> try a landcruiser, mines an 88. I pass up jeeps all the time.(only on the
> really steep climbs lol)
> MLM

Good thing we are following with the winch when you hang all 4 over the
top too eh?

;-)

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old December 3rd 04, 07:25 AM
Walker

"Loves2Backpack" > wrote in message
om...
>I am selling my 98 Silverado 3/4 ton, and would like some feedback on
> what vehicle would make a reliable commuting vehicle, but yet still be
> able to hit the trails. I am frequently on the backroads of Colorado
> and I was thinking about a Jeep. I prefer the CJ7, but perhaps there
> is something better. The guys at my office think I should get a
> Cherokee but I don't really like the Cherokee. Any suggestions would
> be appreciated.

Chevy Tahoe Z71 with a 5.3L Vortec engine. Great off road vehicle and a
superb street truck. They can be as basic or as luxurious as you'd like
and/or can afford. Plenty of clearance for mild to medium off road 'trails'
without lifting it and there is enough protection to slide off the
occasional rock. All you need is to change out the tires for side wall
protection and you're good to go. Lots of cargo and passenger space and when
needed throw in the third row seats.

There are the obvious; Toyota 4 Runner, Sequoia or Land Cruiser and Ford and
Dodge SUVs but there are a few sleepers such as the Cadillac Escalade, the
Mitsubishi Montero Limited and the Lexus 470 which you'll never see off road
but are some of the best built stock 4x4s on the market and luxury+.

Bob Walker

Old December 4th 04, 02:52 PM
Loves2Backpack

This was the first time I posted to this group. You guys made some
really great suggestions. Thanks.
Old December 7th 04, 10:19 PM
Corey Shuman

All this info and no one mentioned Land Rovers?? You can pick up a nice
early 90s Range Rover or mid-late 90s Discovery for 4-5k. They are far
more capable off and on road than any Jeep. Leather, heated seats,
center locking diff...They are great and at the price they are a steal.
As to buying on Ebay... I have bought my last 4 cars on Ebay. The only
thing I can say is that you have to fly out to pick them up, that way
you get no surprises. Better to waste the $$ on airfare than on a
lemon. But 99% of the people are very honest and represent their
vehicles very fairly. And at a signifigant discount.

Old December 7th 04, 10:21 PM
Corey Shuman

All this info and no one mentioned Land Rovers?? You can pick up a nice
early 90s Range Rover or mid-late 90s Discovery for 4-5k. They are far
more capable off and on road than any Jeep. and the "terra flex" system
that you see so proudly advertised, well it only lets the Jeeps attempt
to articulate the way the Rovers do. Leather, heated seats, center
locking diff...They are great and at the price they are a steal. As to
buying on Ebay... I have bought my last 4 cars on Ebay. The only thing
I can say is that you have to fly out to pick them up, that way you get
no surprises. Better to waste the $$ on airfare than on a lemon. But
99% of the people are very honest and represent their vehicles very
fairly. And at a signifigant discount.
feel free to email me if you have any questions about the Rovers. oh
and Im new to this group but it seems like a pretty good little bunch!!
Thanks for letting me add my .02 cents.

Old December 7th 04, 11:18 PM
IsellJeeps

They are no wheres near as capable as a Jeep and way to much to maintain

oups.com...

Old December 8th 04, 02:45 PM
Corey Shuman

Id like to hear the justification that they are not as capable as a
Jeep. For the Land Rover arguement, a stock land rover Disco, Defender
or Range Rover will articulate any where from 10-16 inches over a stock
TJ or GC. Also Jeep offers no center locking diff that I am aware of,
the wading depth of a Jeep, GC or TJ is 6 inches less than a Rangie,
which is the lowest of the group. The center of gravity in the Land
Rovers is also far superior to the Jeeps. The discovery with a stock
set up will stay stable up to 41 degrees. The jeeps would have gone
over at 34 degrees. get into the new rovers and there is no comparison
at all. The advertisement is that the new GC will beat a 325ix in the
0-60 and go in the dirt as well, right. Well my opinion is that if you
want a little racer then you should buy a car, not an SUV. and if you
want to go offroad, then get something competent.
As to maintainance, well, Just empty every pocket comes to mind, it all
depends on the vehicle you buy, if you buy a crapper of a jeep you will
have tremendous maintainance and repair costs, same hold true with the
Land Rover, however in my opinion the Rover is more reliable and will
run longer if properly maintained. How often do you hear about Jeeps
blowing Ujoints and having driveline issues. I rarely ever hear of the
same with a land rover. My highest milage Rover is a 1996 Discovery, it
has 141000 miles on it with all original engine, tranny, diff etc.. no
major repairs(over $500) ever needed. Minor maintainance taken care of
in my own garage and is dirt cheap to own.

Old December 8th 04, 03:06 PM
IsellJeeps

a TJ with minimal mods will out perform a rover anyday of the week...maybe
not a GC but I know my TJ can

ups.com...

19 inch tire recommendations LIW Audi 0 November 25th 04 06:31 PM
Buying an Audi A4 need Advise Buying a Used Audi Audi 12 November 14th 04 02:40 PM
A4 1.8T buying advice please Jon E Audi 13 August 11th 04 10:46 AM
Recommendations for very small nible 4x4 chase vehicle... Mesquito Creek 4x4 28 July 21st 04 05:30 PM
Used 156 buying Advice Please ? Steve Haigh Alfa Romeo 0 April 28th 04 09:12 PM