The cellphone paradox - where are all the accidents?

Old August 30th 15, 09:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
JR[_8_]

Default Left Foot Braking

On Sunday, August 30, 2015 at 3:15:11 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> On 27 Aug 2015 21:18:22 GMT, (M.A. Stewart)
> wrote:
>
> >JR ) writes:

> >Brockie had 'heel-and-toe' mastered when he was a nine-year old. The
> >first front-wheel drive car he drove FAST, he had 'left foot braking'
> >mastered in about nine minutes. Hell, when he got out the car he
> >was probably speaking fluent Finnish, without a trace of an Oz accent.
> >

> >> And then somebody invented the Hill Holder device for cars and trucks.

> Left foot braking a front drive vehicle in competition can allow the
> driver to hang the rear end out like a rear driver. Generally it is
> done with the hand brake - but on a SAAB the hand brake operates on
> the front wheels - so jabbing the brake with the left foot while the
> right is firmly planted on the "loud pedal" can break the rear wheels
> loose, allowing them to slide, shortening the turning radius
> significantly.

The old VW sand buggys/dune buggys. There is, or used to be an accessory available on the market. It was two levers stradling the hand brake/parking brake. Pull the left side lever and the car would swerve to the left. Pull the lever on the right side and the car would swerve to the right. I think the left side lever worked the left rear brake and the right side lever worked the right rear brake. Or maybe it was the front brakes the levers worked? I once saw an article in a magazine about it, many years ago.