Oil cap

Old December 11th 04, 01:46 PM
Yvan

Default Oil cap

While I was trying to solve my idle - ISV problems, I removed oil cap to
see if I have vacuum leak, and it looks like this:

http://us.f3.yahoofs.com/users/41b0e...RivuBBW4VfwRBN

I changed oil one month ago - some 500 miles (Castrol GTX - mineral
oil). All this time car is driven on short distances (2 - 2.5 miles) to
work and back.

It never looked like this. I am going to drive it on a highway, for some
200 miles to see if it will go away. Is it safe? Is it only deposit
cosed by short distance driving, or am I facing some major reprise?

--
___ ____
/__/ / \ ** Registrovani korisnik Linuksa #291606 **
Old December 11th 04, 05:11 PM
Jesper Giovanni

"Yvan" > wrote in message
> While I was trying to solve my idle - ISV problems, I removed oil cap to
> see if I have vacuum leak, and it looks like this:
>
> http://us.f3.yahoofs.com/users/41b0e...RivuBBW4VfwRBN

The link can´t be found.
But...i´m curious!...so please fix it )

--
Gio

Old December 11th 04, 06:03 PM
Yvan

Nedavno Jesper Giovanni pise:

| The link can´t be found.
| But...i´m curious!...so please fix it )

Sory, I just tried Yahoo's photos service. Try this link, and click on
photo. Hope it works now :-)

http://photos.yahoo.com/perlica

--
___ ____
Old December 11th 04, 06:16 PM
Richard Wall

Looks to me as if you have water getting into the oil. Head gasket ?? Not
a good sign
Regards Richard

Old December 11th 04, 07:28 PM
Alec

That's "mayonnaise" caused by water in the oil. Probably because of the very
short trips your are making in cold weather. Buy yourself a bike .
Rgds
Alec

---

Old December 11th 04, 07:32 PM
Tony

Coolant, probably, but Ivan is running dual fuel (gasoline / LP ) so it could be
a side effect of the LP. Seems to me that burning LP generates water as a
by-product of combusion. This is nothing more than a guess to give Ivan another
possibility.

Tony
'91 100q

Old December 11th 04, 07:57 PM
Yvan

Nedavno Tony pise:

| Coolant, probably, but Ivan is running dual fuel (gasoline / LP ) so
| it could be a side effect of the LP. Seems to me that burning LP
| generates water as a by-product of combusion. This is nothing more
| than a guess to give Ivan another possibility.

I am going to check coolant level. I was told that burning LPG generates
water, and that exost silencers will have to be changed more often. But
how would that wather find it's way into oil?

--
___ ____
Old December 12th 04, 08:59 AM
Yvan

Nedavno KWS pise:

| Looks to me that someone put lithium grease on the cap thread so it
| would come off easier. Suggest you wipe this crap off and drive the
| car for a day or so; see if it recurs. Also, look into the hole at
| the lubricant on the lifters; does it look just like the stuff on the
| cap?

I looked and I couldn't see this white stuff nowhere else but on the
cap. And there can be nothing on the cap because I changed oil recently
myself, and car was not at any mechanic since.

--
___ ____
Old December 12th 04, 09:14 AM
Yvan

Nedavno Glenn Spence pise:

| My guess is short trips and motor not up to temperature long enough to
| release the water. The 200 mile ride might be overdoing it but a 20
| to 50 mile one will tell the story. If it's gone after the ride then
| it's just the short trips.

So should I clean cap before or just drive some 50 miles, and then see
if it is gone?

--
___ ____
Old December 12th 04, 05:38 PM
KWS

Strange. If coolant was getting into the oil, then I would expect to see
this elsewhere. Perhaps there is some reason it would accumulate as it has
in your image, but I don't understand how. Perhaps one explanation is that
the lifters are hot enough to boil off any moisture and it condenses on the
cap.

Per my initial posting, I suggest you wipe the stuff off and see if it is
back in a day or so. Also, if coolant is getting into your oil, you should
see evidence of it on the dipstick. What's happening there?

Ken