Correct lube for window channel?

Old March 9th 10, 10:00 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech
DemoDisk

Default Correct lube for window channel?

The window regulator failed on my 93 Nissan Sentra, probably because I
cleaned the driver's window channel (2-dr) so well that the glass bound
up and the cable failed.

I think I can install a new regulator, but what do I lube the channel
with to prevent another problem? The passenger window is almost never
used, but probably needs help too.

I'm posting this to several NGs because a.a.nissan is a really slow
group these days.

Thanks,
Jm

Old March 9th 10, 10:48 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech
Ray O[_2_]

"DemoDisk" > wrote in message
news:WJKdnVT5T5IFWQvWnZ2dnUVZ_hSdnZ2d@yournetplus. com...

> The window regulator failed on my 93 Nissan Sentra, probably because I
> cleaned the driver's window channel (2-dr) so well that the glass bound
> up and the cable failed.
>
> I think I can install a new regulator, but what do I lube the channel
> with to prevent another problem? The passenger window is almost never
> used, but probably needs help too.
>
> I'm posting this to several NGs because a.a.nissan is a really slow
> group these days.
>
> Thanks,
> Jm

If you are talking about the channel in the window frame, I'd use a silicone
lubricant because the silicone doesn't cause the rubber to deteriorate more
quickly.

The channel in the door itself could be lubricated with lithium grease if it
is not lined with rubber.

--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

Old March 9th 10, 11:18 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech
DemoDisk

"Ray O" > wrote in message

> "DemoDisk" > wrote in message
> news:WJKdnVT5T5IFWQvWnZ2dnUVZ_hSdnZ2d@yournetplus. com...
> >
> > The window regulator failed on my 93 Nissan Sentra, probably because

> > cleaned the driver's window channel (2-dr) so well that the glass

bound
> > up and the cable failed.
> >
> > I think I can install a new regulator, but what do I lube the

channel
> > with to prevent another problem? The passenger window is almost

never
> > used, but probably needs help too.
> >
> > I'm posting this to several NGs because a.a.nissan is a really slow
> > group these days.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jm

> If you are talking about the channel in the window frame, I'd use a

silicone
> lubricant because the silicone doesn't cause the rubber to deteriorate

more
> quickly.
>
> The channel in the door itself could be lubricated with lithium grease

if it
> is not lined with rubber.

Thanks, Ray

Old March 9th 10, 11:28 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech
Ray O[_2_]

"DemoDisk" > wrote in message
news:0JednSFvv69uSwvWnZ2dnUVZ_uudnZ2d@yournetplus. com...

> "Ray O" > wrote in message
>>
>> "DemoDisk" > wrote in message
>> news:WJKdnVT5T5IFWQvWnZ2dnUVZ_hSdnZ2d@yournetplus. com...
>> >
>> > The window regulator failed on my 93 Nissan Sentra, probably because

>> > cleaned the driver's window channel (2-dr) so well that the glass

> bound
>> > up and the cable failed.
>> >
>> > I think I can install a new regulator, but what do I lube the

> channel
>> > with to prevent another problem? The passenger window is almost

> never
>> > used, but probably needs help too.
>> >
>> > I'm posting this to several NGs because a.a.nissan is a really slow
>> > group these days.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Jm

>> If you are talking about the channel in the window frame, I'd use a

> silicone
>> lubricant because the silicone doesn't cause the rubber to deteriorate

> more
>> quickly.
>>
>> The channel in the door itself could be lubricated with lithium grease

> if it
>> is not lined with rubber.
>>

> Thanks, Ray

You're welcome. By the way, the silicone lubricant does not last very long,
so you may have to re-apply once or twice a year. If you want something
that lasts longer but is pretty messy, you can use soap-based brake caliper
grease.

Old March 10th 10, 04:22 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech
Jeff Strickland[_2_]

"DemoDisk" > wrote in message
news:WJKdnVT5T5IFWQvWnZ2dnUVZ_hSdnZ2d@yournetplus. com...

> The window regulator failed on my 93 Nissan Sentra, probably because I
> cleaned the driver's window channel (2-dr) so well that the glass bound
> up and the cable failed.
>
> I think I can install a new regulator, but what do I lube the channel
> with to prevent another problem? The passenger window is almost never
> used, but probably needs help too.
>
> I'm posting this to several NGs because a.a.nissan is a really slow
> group these days.
>
> Thanks,
> Jm

The channel that the glass slides in is not lubricated. The various channels
of the regulator itself are lubricated, but not the chanel for the glass.
This needs to be clean,

My guess is that your 1993 Sentra window regulator simply wore out.

A typical construction is that there is a stirng of balls that is pushed and
pulled through a guide and is connected to the window. As the motor pushes
and pulls the balls, the window goes up and down. The string of balls will
break over time. There are variants that involve scissor mechanism to raise
and lower the window, but these are generally found in older cars.

In any case, the glass should slide freely in a clean track.

Old March 10th 10, 05:51 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech
Ray O[_2_]

"Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message

> "DemoDisk" > wrote in message
> news:WJKdnVT5T5IFWQvWnZ2dnUVZ_hSdnZ2d@yournetplus. com...
>>
>> The window regulator failed on my 93 Nissan Sentra, probably because I
>> cleaned the driver's window channel (2-dr) so well that the glass bound
>> up and the cable failed.
>>
>> I think I can install a new regulator, but what do I lube the channel
>> with to prevent another problem? The passenger window is almost never
>> used, but probably needs help too.
>>
>> I'm posting this to several NGs because a.a.nissan is a really slow
>> group these days.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jm
>>

> The channel that the glass slides in is not lubricated. The various
> channels of the regulator itself are lubricated, but not the chanel for
> the glass. This needs to be clean,
>
> My guess is that your 1993 Sentra window regulator simply wore out.
>
> A typical construction is that there is a stirng of balls that is pushed
> and pulled through a guide and is connected to the window. As the motor
> pushes and pulls the balls, the window goes up and down. The string of
> balls will break over time. There are variants that involve scissor
> mechanism to raise and lower the window, but these are generally found in
> older cars.
>
> In any case, the glass should slide freely in a clean track.

I'd bet that the OP's car's setup doesn't have the string of balls setup.
The more common setup is having the motor mounted directly to the regulator
instead of having a weak link in between, or a cable that pushes and pulls
on the regulator like the old fashioned remote mirrors.

Old March 12th 10, 01:28 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech
DemoDisk

"Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message

> "DemoDisk" > wrote in message
> news:WJKdnVT5T5IFWQvWnZ2dnUVZ_hSdnZ2d@yournetplus. com...
> >
> > The window regulator failed on my 93 Nissan Sentra, probably because

> > cleaned the driver's window channel (2-dr) so well that the glass

bound
> > up and the cable failed.
> >
> > I think I can install a new regulator, but what do I lube the

channel
> > with to prevent another problem? The passenger window is almost

never
> > used, but probably needs help too.
> >
> > I'm posting this to several NGs because a.a.nissan is a really slow
> > group these days.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jm
> >

> The channel that the glass slides in is not lubricated. The various

channels
> of the regulator itself are lubricated, but not the chanel for the

glass.
> This needs to be clean,
>
> My guess is that your 1993 Sentra window regulator simply wore out.
>
> A typical construction is that there is a stirng of balls that is

pushed and
> pulled through a guide and is connected to the window. As the motor

pushes
> and pulls the balls, the window goes up and down. The string of balls

will
> break over time. There are variants that involve scissor mechanism to

raise
> and lower the window, but these are generally found in older cars.
>
> In any case, the glass should slide freely in a clean track.

No motor in this one; it's manual. Replacement parts online show a
cable.

But no lubrication? That's interesting. Thanks for your help, Jeff.

Old March 12th 10, 01:36 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech
Willshak

DemoDisk wrote the following:
> "Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message
>
>> "DemoDisk" > wrote in message
>> news:WJKdnVT5T5IFWQvWnZ2dnUVZ_hSdnZ2d@yournetplus. com...
>>
>>> The window regulator failed on my 93 Nissan Sentra, probably because

>>> cleaned the driver's window channel (2-dr) so well that the glass
>>>

> bound
>
>>> up and the cable failed.
>>>
>>> I think I can install a new regulator, but what do I lube the
>>>

> channel
>
>>> with to prevent another problem? The passenger window is almost
>>>

> never
>
>>> used, but probably needs help too.
>>>
>>> I'm posting this to several NGs because a.a.nissan is a really slow
>>> group these days.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Jm
>>>

>> The channel that the glass slides in is not lubricated. The various
>>

> channels
>
>> of the regulator itself are lubricated, but not the chanel for the
>>

> glass.
>
>> This needs to be clean,
>>
>> My guess is that your 1993 Sentra window regulator simply wore out.
>>
>> A typical construction is that there is a stirng of balls that is
>>

> pushed and
>
>> pulled through a guide and is connected to the window. As the motor
>>

> pushes
>
>> and pulls the balls, the window goes up and down. The string of balls
>>

> will
>
>> break over time. There are variants that involve scissor mechanism to
>>

> raise
>
>> and lower the window, but these are generally found in older cars.
>>
>> In any case, the glass should slide freely in a clean track.
>>

> No motor in this one; it's manual. Replacement parts online show a
> cable.
>
> But no lubrication? That's interesting. Thanks for your help, Jeff.

Whenever I detail my truck, I wipe all the rubber window parts with the
tire wet spray on a cloth.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old March 12th 10, 01:48 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech
Dave Garrett

In article > , willshak@
00hvc.rr.com says...

> Whenever I detail my truck, I wipe all the rubber window parts with the
> tire wet spray on a cloth.

The mechanic at the independent shop I use recommended occasionally
squirting a little bit of Armor All into the top of each side of the
window channel and letting it run down inside. He mentioned it after I
had just had the regulator replaced on my driver's side window.

Dave

Old March 12th 10, 03:46 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech
Jeff Strickland[_2_]

"Conscience" > wrote in message
> On 2010-03-11 17:48:26 -0800, Dave Garrett > said:
>
>> In article > , willshak@
>> 00hvc.rr.com says...
>>
>>> Whenever I detail my truck, I wipe all the rubber window parts with the
>>> tire wet spray on a cloth.

>> The mechanic at the independent shop I use recommended occasionally
>> squirting a little bit of Armor All into the top of each side of the
>> window channel and letting it run down inside. He mentioned it after I
>> had just had the regulator replaced on my driver's side window.

> Armor All is garbage. Snake oil that rots your tires and anything else to
> which it's applied.
>
> Looks pretty for a while, but have a look at your "brown" tires after a
> few days. There's a reason for that.

Armor All is heroin for rubber. You have to keep using it or the rubber
dies. And you have to use increasing amounts over time. Cold turkey is bad,
but having said that I have no idea what the methadone treatment is.