'98 Explorer V8 Spark Plug Replacement?

Old November 12th 06, 07:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Steven Hilgendorf

Default '98 Explorer V8 Spark Plug Replacement?

This is my first Explorer and I'm looking for suggestions, and/or
advice, on the best/easiest way to change the spark plugs on my '98
Explorer V8? Would removing the fender liners/skirts make the job easier?

TIA,

Steven
Old November 12th 06, 07:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Xx

That's the route I went about a month ago. I'd remove the tire on the side
of the engine I'm working on though, since some say it can be done with the
tire installed, I think it's easier with the tire out of the way. I
recommend wearing gloves at least on the driver's side since when you remove
the spark plug wire on one of the front wires, you end up gouging your hand.
Now is a good time to replace the wires if needed.

Old November 13th 06, 08:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Happy Traveler

Done it a couple times on mine - same year, same engine. Definitely go
through the wheel well. Only the rubber skirts had to come off. If memory
serves, turning the wheel from side to side as you go from front to back
helps, but that's it - no reason to take the wheels off. Actually, this is
one of the easiest engines to change plugs that I have seen.
If you are buying platinum plugs, make sure that they are 'double platinum'
(meaning that the platinum plating is on both electrodes). That's because
this engine fires with positive voltage on one side of the block and
negative on the other.
For whatever reason, the wires on this vehicle are notorious for early
failures, so I would second the suggestion to change them, especially if
they are over 50,000 miles old. Make sure to keep them away from the exhaust
manifold (Motorcraft wires come with heat shields on those that are close --
don't know about the other brands).

Old November 13th 06, 03:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Steven Hilgendorf

Thank you Xx and Happy Traveler. I will inspect the wires thoroughly
during the plug replacement. My owners manual recommends Motorcraft
AWSF32EE spark plugs for replacement, however all I can seem to locate
locally are Motorcraft SP432 spark plugs. Are these the same plugs,
double platinum?

Thanks again,

Steven

Old November 13th 06, 08:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
oklaman

somewhere I read (wish I could remember where) that double tip platinum's
were not really any better than regular platinum's, just costs more.

my 2000 V8 will be needing plugs before too long. now has 79000 miles and
runs well. will the 2000 V8 be similar to the 98 V8??

should you use anti-seize when replacing plugs?

. ..

Old November 14th 06, 07:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Happy Traveler

Not an expert on Motorcraft plugs, but those don't seem to be platinum at
all. Which doesn't mean that they are bad - platinum buys you longevity, not
much else. Search this group for old wars about plugs, and you will find a
lot of information - and a lot of disagreement...
As for wires, I seriously doubt that visual inspection will reveal anything.
Perhaps under a microscope... The two that failed on me looked just perfect.
Measuring resistance (as suggested by some manuals) is also futile, because
it's typically the conductor that fails. The usual failure mode is breakdown
of the insulation in some weak spot (probably a manufacturing defect),
causing arcing to the nearest metal. Some can see that in the dark. I happen
to have an oscilloscope, so that's what I use, but this is certainly an
overkill for the average shade tree mechanic.

Old November 14th 06, 03:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Steven Hilgendorf

HT, after some more research I found out that the SP432 (AGSF32FM) are
the correct NEW plugs recommended by Ford to replace the AWSF32EE. It
seems the AGSF32FM (SP432) is a new Motorcraft Fine-Wire Platinum plug.

Steven

Old November 15th 06, 11:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Happy Traveler

The FM suffix appears to indicate platinum-plated center wire and
nickel-plated outside electrode (i.e single plat -- which is fine for COP
systems, but not for the older double-ended coil systems). Oh well, the last
thing I wanted to start is yet another spark plug war. Perhaps someone in
the know will enlighten us about those confusing Motorcraft/Ford
designations.

>> HT, after some more research I found out that the SP432 (AGSF32FM) are
>> the correct NEW plugs recommended by Ford to replace the AWSF32EE. It
>> seems the AGSF32FM (SP432) is a new Motorcraft Fine-Wire Platinum plug.

By the way, I found a typo in my advice about wires. Meant to say:
".... Measuring resistance (as suggested by some manuals) is also futile,
because it's typically NOT the center conductor that fails...."

Old November 15th 06, 05:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Steven Hilgendorf

Hello HT, thanks again for your advice/recommendations. Since I started
this thread I've done some searching for answers on this spark plug
issue because I wanted to get the correct, recommended, replacement
plugs. Phoning my local Ford parts dealership gave me new Ford
Motorcraft part number, AGSF32FM, and searching the net gave me
information, and controversies, surrounding the replacement Fine-Wire
platinum plugs for the original single/double-platinum plugs.

Another weird thing about the replacement plugs is that the threads are
longer, which appears as if the plug will seat further into the
cylinder. Here is a site that notes the differences of the plugs:

http://www.v8sho.com/SHO/SparkPlugChanges.htm

In addition, I am going to price a set of Motorcraft wires and will most
likely change them at the same time too.

Steven

Old November 17th 06, 08:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Happy Traveler

Steven,

If you look at the photographs in your reference, the distance from the
seating taper to the tip of the plug is the same for both types. Thus they
reach exactly to the same depth inside the chamber (I would be really
concerned about sticking in a plug that reaches longer than the original -
for a variety of reasons, including colliding with the piston at TDC). The
difference is that one is fully threaded, while the other is not. The fully
threaded one may be able to engage one or two more threads and help a bit
to prevent stripped threads by those who do not believe in torque
wrenches -- especially on aluminum heads (which luckily, our ancient 302
engines do not have...)