'98 XJ Power Window lock-out (gang) switch

Old October 2nd 06, 04:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
lou

Default '98 XJ Power Window lock-out (gang) switch

Hello, group-
All of the functions operate properly from the driver's window/door
lock switch. However, the lock-out button for the window has been
failing, and now is totally shot - meaning that the other 3 windows
can only be operated by the driver. I do not care about retaining the
ability to lock-out any passengers' use of the windows, and I am too
cheap to pay the dealer's price for a new switch.

Question: Is it possible to simply jump a pair of wires to bypass the
lock-out switch? If so, which color wires would they be?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

js
Old October 2nd 06, 04:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

Hi JS,
Others have found corrosion in the wires as the cross underneath
the driver's side carpet.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old October 3rd 06, 12:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
lou

Thanks, Bill-
Right after I walk the dog, I'll remove the mouldings and check the
wires under the carpet. However, in the past, I have removed and
cleaned the switch, with the effect being a temporary repair - but it
could be coincidental, since that didn't always work. I'll let you
know.

Jim
'98 XJ daily driver, mostly stock

On Sun, 01 Oct 2006 20:24:39 -0700, "L.W.(Bill) Hughes III"

http://www.billhughes.com/

Old October 3rd 06, 10:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Matt Macchiarolo

I found that to be the case on my XJ, the wires under the driver's side
carpet were green dust. Bypassed the corroded portion with a new wire spice
and all was well. Wrap it good in mastic tape.

news

http://www.billhughes.com/

Old October 4th 06, 02:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
lou

Default '98 XJ Power Window lock-out switch (OP)

Original poster, here-
I removed the trim pieces and rolled-back the carpeting. I found no
wires anywhere under the carpet. They all appear to be routed along
the dash. This is a '98 XJ. Please correct me if I have done
something wrong. Thanks.

Jim

http://www.billhughes.com/

Old October 4th 06, 03:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
98XJ[_1_]

OP again -
I didn't mention that I have previously replaced on of the wire looms
that is routed through the driver's door, and into the kick panel.
This was to correct a shorted-out speaker wire. All wires appear to
run under the dash, from there - not beneath the carpet.

What about my original plan to join a couple of wires? Wire/stripe
colors? I'll make a tester and do it experimentally - but I thought
that someone here in the group might be able to read the wire diagrams
better than I do. Thanks.

Jim

http://www.billhughes.com/

Old October 4th 06, 11:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Matt Macchiarolo

Hmm. Maybe by '98 they re-routed the wires so they wouldn't get soaked from
shoe runoff in the winter and corrode.

If I were you I would get a facory service manual and check the wiring
diagrams in that.

A new switch from the dealer however would be much cheaper.

http://www.billhughes.com/

Old October 8th 06, 08:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
98XJ[_1_]

On Sun, 01 Oct 2006 23:04:23 -0400, lou > wrote:

Thanks for the replies about checking the condition of the wires
running beneath the driner's carpet, but no wires are routed there on
my '98 XJ.

I am pretty certain that the problem is in the switch in the driver's
armrest, the push-button "childproof" window lock-out, to be
specific. The dealer quoted about $200 for a new switch. I tried
swapping-out one that I'd pulled at u-wrench-it, but it had fewer
working functions than mine (this single part contains switches for
mirrors, windows, and door locks) - but the particular window problem
was corrected.

Removing and spray-cleaning the switch used to provide a temporary
fix, but no more.

So to repeat my question, I'm just wondering whether I could either
cut one wire or jump two together at the wire loom feeding the switch
in the driver's door - to mimic the window "unlock" mode. Since
toggling the switch is supposed to supply/cut power to the other
window switches. Is anyone familiar with the particular wires that
would be involved? Otherwise, I guess it'll just be trial and error.
Thanks for any help.

js

Old October 12th 06, 02:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
98XJ[_1_]

Default '98 XJ Power Window lock-out switch - Final Post (OP)

On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 21:36:16 -0400, lou > wrote:
Well, you guys were on the right track. Last night, I located the
fault in the wiring, but rather than in the floor, it was where the
wires are flexed between the switch and bending to go through the
driver's door. Thanks.

js

http://www.billhughes.com/

Old October 12th 06, 04:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

Thanks for telling us about your fix.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/