156 windscreen and headlamp washers

Old December 8th 05, 10:34 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Default 156 windscreen and headlamp washers

Yesterday the washers on my 156 2.0 yr2000 refused to squirt water. Last
night I investigated and found that the pump for the headlight washers was
completely dead (silent). I guess that this could have been like this for
some time and I hadn't noticed. The pump for the windscreen washers although
it made a noise it didn't move any fluid.

I thought that I would remove the whole fluid bottle and inspect more
closely. I removed the coolant tank which sits on top and removed the screws
holding the washer bottle in place. Could I heck as like lift out the washer
unit. The manual that I have on CD says that it lifts out but can anyone
confirm that this is the case or have any tips on getting the damn thing
out.

I'm guessing that when I get it out I will have to replace the whole unit
with built in pumps; again can anyone confirm this please ?

mike

Old December 9th 05, 12:57 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

> Yesterday the washers on my 156 2.0 yr2000 refused to squirt water. Last
> night I investigated and found that the pump for the headlight washers was
> completely dead (silent). I guess that this could have been like this for
> some time and I hadn't noticed. The pump for the windscreen washers
> although it made a noise it didn't move any fluid.
>
> I thought that I would remove the whole fluid bottle and inspect more
> closely. I removed the coolant tank which sits on top and removed the
> screws holding the washer bottle in place. Could I heck as like lift out
> the washer unit. The manual that I have on CD says that it lifts out but
> can anyone confirm that this is the case or have any tips on getting the
> damn thing out.
>
> I'm guessing that when I get it out I will have to replace the whole unit
> with built in pumps; again can anyone confirm this please ?
>
> mike

Mike

Sometimes this happens to me in cold weather. If the lines are frozen up,
the pump doesn't even come on. In addition, you might want to check for
slime in the bottom of your washer bottle, that could also be a cause.
Basically, the pump is not necessarily dead.

rgds

Stuart

Old December 9th 05, 02:24 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

"Mr Flipflops" > wrote in message
>> Yesterday the washers on my 156 2.0 yr2000 refused to squirt water. Last
>> night I investigated and found that the pump for the headlight washers
>> was completely dead (silent). I guess that this could have been like this
>> for some time and I hadn't noticed. The pump for the windscreen washers
>> although it made a noise it didn't move any fluid.
>>
>> I thought that I would remove the whole fluid bottle and inspect more
>> closely. I removed the coolant tank which sits on top and removed the
>> screws holding the washer bottle in place. Could I heck as like lift out
>> the washer unit. The manual that I have on CD says that it lifts out but
>> can anyone confirm that this is the case or have any tips on getting the
>> damn thing out.
>>
>> I'm guessing that when I get it out I will have to replace the whole unit
>> with built in pumps; again can anyone confirm this please ?
>>
>> mike

> Mike
>
> Sometimes this happens to me in cold weather. If the lines are frozen up,
> the pump doesn't even come on. In addition, you might want to check for
> slime in the bottom of your washer bottle, that could also be a cause.
> Basically, the pump is not necessarily dead.
>
> rgds
>
> Stuart

Thanks Stuart. I'll check the sludge issue if I can get the damn bottle out.
It's certainly not an ice issue; my 156 lives in a nice warm garage under
the house and the washers don't work after spending the night in there.
Also, I use a fairly strong solution of washer fluid.

mike

Old December 9th 05, 03:32 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

This is of no help I know.

I've taken the fuse out for the headlamp washers - the amount of water
used means I can run out of water before I've reached work (75 miles
one way) and have none left to get the salt off the windscreen. That
fuse doesn't seem to affect any other system on the car - anyone know
differently?

Paul.
156 GTA

Old December 9th 05, 09:28 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

"Oggy" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> This is of no help I know.
>
> I've taken the fuse out for the headlamp washers - the amount of water
> used means I can run out of water before I've reached work (75 miles
> one way) and have none left to get the salt off the windscreen. That
> fuse doesn't seem to affect any other system on the car - anyone know
> differently?
>
> Paul.
> 156 GTA

That may be of help Paul. The fact that my headlamp pump doesn't run at all
could be caused by a blown fuse. It's worth checking when I attempt to
dismantle it all on Saturday.

mike

Old December 10th 05, 06:37 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

"mike" > wrote in message

> "Oggy" > wrote in message
> ups.com...

That
> > fuse doesn't seem to affect any other system on the car - anyone know
> > differently?
> >
> > Paul.
> > 156 GTA

> That may be of help Paul. The fact that my headlamp pump doesn't run at

all
> could be caused by a blown fuse.

Hmm... I've got the same problem, but my manual says both the wipers and
washers are on the same fuse. Mine's a '98 156 2,0 though - GTAs will
probably be different. The wipers work fine.

I'd ruled out the fuse, should perhaps have another look then...

Espen

Old December 12th 05, 02:55 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Mike and Espen,

If it's any use, on the GTA, there's a fuse and 2 relays accessible via
a little flap in the roof of the glove compartment. I think this must
be true of all "later" models - post facelift I guess.

Paul.

Old December 12th 05, 04:37 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

"Oggy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Mike and Espen,
>
> If it's any use, on the GTA, there's a fuse and 2 relays accessible via
> a little flap in the roof of the glove compartment. I think this must
> be true of all "later" models - post facelift I guess.
>
> Paul.

Thanks, Paul and everyone who replied. I swapped the electrical connectors
on the two pumps and got showed with water from the headlamp washers. The
implication is that the fuse has gone on the headlamp washers ( now
confirmed) and the pump has failed on the windscreen wahers !

I have still not been able to remove the washer bottle; it occupies most of
the inside of the wing and I can't see how it can possibly come out from
above despite what the manual says. It may have to be removed by taking out
the plastice cover in the wheelarch after removing the wheel.

I think I might just swap the fluid tubes for now; that will give me working
screen wash but no headlight wash. I can then sort out the bottle removal at
my leisure

mike

Old December 13th 05, 02:48 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Good news, and good luck with the washer bottle, dunno whether I would
attempt that one.

Paul