1994 ford explorer FIRE in the power mirror control switch

Old June 29th 05, 03:24 AM
lilimcgilly

Default 1994 ford explorer FIRE in the power mirror control switch

Had a door fire today. Came from my mirror control switch in the front
door. Had my kids in the car. Got lucky and got out before the fire
jumped. Luckily have only a burned out front door. Read that there was a
recall from Ford about this condition on this model. Does anybody know if
I can hold Ford responsible that they pay for my frontdoor? Thanks.

Old June 29th 05, 06:23 AM
Jim Warman

I haven't heard of any recalls on this condition but you can PM me with your
VIN and I'll run OASIS to be sure....

The car is 11 years old... surely to God the manufacturer can't be held
responsible for any "unauthorized" modifications or repairs....

I had a 12 year old Black and Decker toaster oven go up in flames.... coulda
took out my whole house. It was a 12 year old toaster... I dealt with it.

lkaboutautos.com...

Old June 29th 05, 01:50 PM
Ed White

97S70 MAY 97 Recall - Power Mirror Switch Jumper Harness ?

Ed

Old June 29th 05, 04:20 PM
Ulysses

"Ed White" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> 97S70 MAY 97 Recall - Power Mirror Switch Jumper Harness ?
>
> Ed

Sounds like maybe I can get my power mirrors working again now :-) They
haven't worked since the last muddy season.

Old June 30th 05, 10:55 PM
stevie

I don't know Jim.

I wouldn't buy anything that said 'after x years, this product may catch
fire'.

Old July 1st 05, 02:13 AM
Bill Funk

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 16:55:33 -0500, "stevie" > wrote:

>I don't know Jim.
>
>I wouldn't buy anything that said 'after x years, this product may catch
>fire'.

Being realistic, there are few modern products that use fuel of any
sort (including electricity) that such a sticker would not be
appropriate.
Things break. That's reality.

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
Old July 2nd 05, 04:24 AM
lilimcgilly

Thanks for all your replies. The recall number is 97V083000 and I got it
from the nhtsa webpage. I called Ford and they give me the expected
runaround. Does anybody has a clue what I can do? They can be happy that
nobody got killed and I got my kids out in time.

Old July 2nd 05, 06:26 AM
Hairy

"lilimcgilly" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> Thanks for all your replies. The recall number is 97V083000 and I got it
> from the nhtsa webpage. I called Ford and they give me the expected
> runaround. Does anybody has a clue what I can do?

Sure. Go to a salvage yard and get a replacement door w/internals . Have a
body shop replace it for you, if you can't do it.