Just purchased a 86 Golf Diesel. I have a oil question and right axle question.

Old August 19th 07, 02:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
86GolfDiesel

Default Just purchased a 86 Golf Diesel. I have a oil question and right axle question.

Q: what brand oil do you recommend for this VW. The last owner stated
15/40 for summer and 10/30 or winter. ( I live in Ely, Minnesota -30
nights and days in Jan/Feb).

Q: The right side axle needs to be replaced. I've looked at several on-
line parts places. How do you recommed? I beleive it is the CV axle.
He switched out the wheel bearings. Any other parts to consider
replacing while a new axle goes in. We have a Napa store in town, are
the parts credible.

Q: what is the best repair manual available for this diesel?

The car runs really good. it has 217K on the engine.

thanks

John

Old August 19th 07, 03:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

"86GolfDiesel" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Q: what brand oil do you recommend for this VW. The last owner stated
> 15/40 for summer and 10/30 or winter. ( I live in Ely, Minnesota -30
> nights and days in Jan/Feb).

If it worked for the previous owner............why change? And what brand
did the last owner run?

> Q: The right side axle needs to be replaced. I've looked at several on-
> line parts places. How do you recommed? I beleive it is the CV axle.
> He switched out the wheel bearings. Any other parts to consider
> replacing while a new axle goes in. We have a Napa store in town, are
> the parts credible.

NAPA should be very good if price is no object!
Examine the rest of the front suspension.

> Q: what is the best repair manual available for this diesel?

Bentley from ebay or amazon ($37.77 with free ship) or as a last resort
rb.com.

> The car runs really good. it has 217K on the engine.

When was the timing belt and tensioner changed last?

Old August 19th 07, 03:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
86GolfDiesel

On Aug 18, 9:21 pm, "dave AKA vwdoc1" > wrote:
> "86GolfDiesel" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>
> > Q: what brand oil do you recommend for this VW. The last owner stated
> > 15/40 for summer and 10/30 or winter. ( I live in Ely, Minnesota -30
> > nights and days in Jan/Feb).

> If it worked for the previous owner............why change? And what brand
> did the last owner run?
>
> > Q: The right side axle needs to be replaced. I've looked at several on-
> > line parts places. How do you recommed? I beleive it is the CV axle.
> > He switched out the wheel bearings. Any other parts to consider
> > replacing while a new axle goes in. We have a Napa store in town, are
> > the parts credible.

> NAPA should be very good if price is no object!
> Examine the rest of the front suspension.
>
> > Q: what is the best repair manual available for this diesel?

> Bentley from ebay or amazon ($37.77 with free ship) or as a last resort
> rb.com.
>
> > The car runs really good. it has 217K on the engine.

> When was the timing belt and tensioner changed last?

Thanks for the tip on timing belt. He used pennziol. Would I use the
diesel oil they offer or just stick to regular pennziol.

Old August 19th 07, 12:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Joseph Meehan

86GolfDiesel wrote:
> On Aug 18, 9:21 pm, "dave AKA vwdoc1" > wrote:
>> "86GolfDiesel" > wrote in
>> message
>>
>> ups.com...
>>
>>> Q: what brand oil do you recommend for this VW. The last owner
>>> stated 15/40 for summer and 10/30 or winter. ( I live in Ely,
>>> Minnesota -30 nights and days in Jan/Feb).

>> If it worked for the previous owner............why change? And what
>> brand did the last owner run?
>>
>>> Q: The right side axle needs to be replaced. I've looked at several
>>> on- line parts places. How do you recommed? I beleive it is the CV
>>> axle. He switched out the wheel bearings. Any other parts to
>>> consider replacing while a new axle goes in. We have a Napa store
>>> in town, are the parts credible.

>> NAPA should be very good if price is no object!
>> Examine the rest of the front suspension.
>>
>>> Q: what is the best repair manual available for this diesel?

>> Bentley from ebay or amazon ($37.77 with free ship) or as a last
>> resort rb.com.
>>
>>> The car runs really good. it has 217K on the engine.

>> When was the timing belt and tensioner changed last?

> Thanks for the tip on timing belt. He used pennziol. Would I use the
> diesel oil they offer or just stick to regular pennziol.

You will want to use a diesel rated oil. Diesel needs some different
additives to handle the soot that gets in the oil.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Old August 19th 07, 12:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
none2u

oups.com...

Old August 19th 07, 02:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
86GolfDiesel

On Aug 19, 6:01 am, "Joseph Meehan" >
wrote:
> 86GolfDiesel wrote:
> > On Aug 18, 9:21 pm, "dave AKA vwdoc1" > wrote:
> >> "86GolfDiesel" > wrote in
> >> message

> roups.com...

> >> If it worked for the previous owner............why change? And what
> >> brand did the last owner run?

> >> NAPA should be very good if price is no object!
> >> Examine the rest of the front suspension.

> >> Bentley from ebay or amazon ($37.77 with free ship) or as a last
> >> resort rb.com.

> >> When was the timing belt and tensioner changed last?

> > Thanks for the tip on timing belt. He used pennziol. Would I use the
> > diesel oil they offer or just stick to regular pennziol.

> You will want to use a diesel rated oil. Diesel needs some different
> additives to handle the soot that gets in the oil.
>
> --
> Joseph Meehan
>
> Dia 's Muire duit

I just looks at his notes on oil. He uses 15w40 Rotella (summer) &
5w30 (winter). Any thoughts good or bad on this oil. Q: eventhought
it's synthetic, still change every 3K. thanks

Old August 20th 07, 01:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Joseph Meehan

86GolfDiesel wrote:

> I just looks at his notes on oil. He uses 15w40 Rotella (summer) &
> 5w30 (winter). Any thoughts good or bad on this oil. Q: eventhought
> it's synthetic, still change every 3K. thanks

Well I use Rotella, so I guess I think it is good. I have a 2002.5 TDI
(Turbo Diesel Injection). VW recommends 10,000 mile changes for me. The
newer oils and engines allow for longer intervals. I doubt if anyone has
real facts for your 86 with synthetic, but if it were mine I think I would
up it to 5 thousand mile changes.

The two oil weights are fine, but I use the same weight all year long.
With today's synthetics, your really don't need to change winter and summer,
but there is no harm in doing so.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Old August 20th 07, 10:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
none2u

Old August 21st 07, 02:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
86GolfDiesel

On Aug 19, 7:25 pm, "Joseph Meehan" >
wrote:
> 86GolfDiesel wrote:

> > I just looks at his notes onoil. He uses 15w40 Rotella (summer) &
> > 5w30 (winter). Any thoughts good or bad on thisoil. Q: eventhought
> > it's synthetic, stillchangeevery 3K. thanks

> Well I use Rotella, so I guess I think it is good. I have a 2002.5 TDI
> (TurboDieselInjection). VW recommends 10,000 mile changes for me. The
> newer oils and engines allow for longer intervals. I doubt if anyone has
> real facts for your 86 with synthetic, but if it were mine I think I would
> up it to 5 thousand mile changes.
>
> The twooilweights are fine, but I use the same weight all year long.
> With today's synthetics, your really don't need tochangewinter and summer,
> but there is no harm in doing so.
>
> --
> Joseph Meehan
>
> Dia 's Muire duit

I picked up a quart on Rotella T 15w40 mineral. I did'nt see a blend
of 15w40 by Rotella. I dont think they make a blend in 15w40. The last
owners notes indicate 15w40 Rotella. I cant get a hold of him right
now. I hope this is right.

Old August 21st 07, 02:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Nate Nagel[_2_]

86GolfDiesel wrote:
> On Aug 19, 7:25 pm, "Joseph Meehan" >
> wrote:
>
>>86GolfDiesel wrote:

>>>I just looks at his notes onoil. He uses 15w40 Rotella (summer) &
>>>5w30 (winter). Any thoughts good or bad on thisoil. Q: eventhought
>>>it's synthetic, stillchangeevery 3K. thanks

>> Well I use Rotella, so I guess I think it is good. I have a 2002.5 TDI
>>(TurboDieselInjection). VW recommends 10,000 mile changes for me. The
>>newer oils and engines allow for longer intervals. I doubt if anyone has
>>real facts for your 86 with synthetic, but if it were mine I think I would
>>up it to 5 thousand mile changes.
>>
>> The twooilweights are fine, but I use the same weight all year long.
>>With today's synthetics, your really don't need tochangewinter and summer,
>>but there is no harm in doing so.
>>
>>--
>>Joseph Meehan
>>
>> Dia 's Muire duit

> I picked up a quart on Rotella T 15w40 mineral. I did'nt see a blend
> of 15w40 by Rotella. I dont think they make a blend in 15w40. The last
> owners notes indicate 15w40 Rotella. I cant get a hold of him right
> now. I hope this is right.

they do make a 5W40 synthetic, I've been using it in the 944.
Unfortunately it seems to have been reformulated to the new API specs
with lower ZDDP. I still have three gallons of it, when that runs out...?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

OT axle question Troy Jeep 14 May 11th 06 01:45 AM
Axle question Herb Leong Jeep 4 February 9th 06 01:02 AM
Axle question J.Valkyrie Jeep 5 December 3rd 05 06:09 PM
I just purchased a 05 Golf 1.8T GTI now I want it to F L Y turbosleeper VW water cooled 6 May 27th 05 09:04 PM
Axle Flange Question Kent VW water cooled 3 September 20th 04 06:19 PM