2003 Grand Caravan grinding/metal contact sound when steering

Old January 7th 06, 02:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Default 2003 Grand Caravan grinding/metal contact sound when steering

Hi, I hope this title isn't too clumsily worded! I bought a 2003 Dodge
Grand Caravan with 41,000 miles on it on Thursday afternoon. Shortly
after I drove it off the lot, I began to hear a metallic grinding sound
occasionally when turning the steering wheel. It doesn't seem to be
connected to the brakes, since it only happens when I turn, and doesn't
seem to matter if I'm touching the brake or not. I can't reproduce the
noise when it's in park, only when I'm turning. It doesn't happen on
every turn, but it's a grinding/metal-on-metal sound that has me
thoroughly worried! I called the dealership and am taking it into their
shop on Monday, but I wondered if anyone here might have an idea what
it could be. I did test drive it, but in retrospect I probably didn't
drive it long enough or put it through more than a few turns. Thanks
for reasing.

-Amy

Old January 7th 06, 02:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi, I hope this title isn't too clumsily worded! I bought a 2003 Dodge
> Grand Caravan with 41,000 miles on it on Thursday afternoon. Shortly
> after I drove it off the lot, I began to hear a metallic grinding sound
> occasionally when turning the steering wheel. It doesn't seem to be
> connected to the brakes, since it only happens when I turn, and doesn't
> seem to matter if I'm touching the brake or not. I can't reproduce the
> noise when it's in park, only when I'm turning. It doesn't happen on
> every turn, but it's a grinding/metal-on-metal sound that has me
> thoroughly worried! I called the dealership and am taking it into their
> shop on Monday, but I wondered if anyone here might have an idea what
> it could be. I did test drive it, but in retrospect I probably didn't
> drive it long enough or put it through more than a few turns. Thanks
> for reasing.
>
> -Amy

You may be hearing a P/S growl, this occurs if the fluid is dirty or even
low and is more pronounced on really cold days. But without actually hearing
it would be hard to say.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old January 8th 06, 03:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

bet the front rotors are rusted up real good and when loaded on the side they
make nosie

Old January 8th 06, 10:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

That just happened to my 2003. It was mostly with a full left or right turn.
Turned out it was a problem with the cooler hoses. TSB 19-006-05. Also had
the Recall D37 done also. Which was the other P/S hose. The steering wheel
would shake slightly when cold (at start up) and be fine after it was warm.
The recall and TSB are both to install Longer P/S hoses then on the vehicle.
That is probably the problem. Chek with the dealer and have them perform the
recall if not done, and have them inspect if the tsb will help. And the
dealer that sold you the vehicle should pick up the tab on the TSB repair,
if the Dealership does not do it for free.

97 Wrangler 4L steering click sound Antoine F C Jeep 2 November 20th 05 10:56 PM
01 GLX Carbio - popping sound while turning and backing after new rack, tie rods and ends cstoddard VW water cooled 2 November 5th 05 07:45 AM
Belt flipped and weird sound Chronologic VW air cooled 8 October 1st 05 05:26 AM
Noisey VUE Scout Saturn 5 January 16th 05 12:59 AM
steering wheel makes scraping sound RgvKid BMW 0 December 29th 04 04:45 PM