What are currently your 3 favorite muscle cars and why ?

Old April 4th 11, 11:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.driving,aus.cars,rec.autos.driving
Adrian

Default What are currently your 3 favorite muscle cars and why ?

Lil Abner > gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying:

>>> 68 Dodge Charger Hemi or Cuda hemi
>>> 64 Ford Galaxie 427
>>> 69 Buick GS455
>>> Olds 442
>>> Nova SS396(402)
>>> Camaro SS427
>>> ChevyII 350 375 HP
>>> Chevelle 427
>>> AMC Rebel dog Leg port 401
>>> Mercedes SL63,SL65
>>> Ford Mustang 429 Boss
>>> 69 Fairlane 390 or 427
>>> The list is endless.

>> Is there the slightest hint of variety in it, or is this "endless" list
>> similarly repetitive?
>>
>> Well, I s'pose the Merc is the exception that proves the rule.

> Variety? No I didn't include any Vegas.

Y'see, this is why I asked whether there was a definition of "muscle
car". Just wondering whether this was a game the whole world could play,
or if it was only open to those who forget (or don't actually realise or
care) that 95% of the planet's population exist.

I mean, what with there being a couple of global groups and two non-US
national groups in the cross-post line...
Old April 4th 11, 11:19 PM posted to rec.autos.sport.nascar,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving
That Tune

"M.A. Stewart" > wrote in message
> "That Tune" ) writes:
>> "Jeff" > wrote in message
>>> Irrespective of the age, make or model, what are currently your 3
>>> favorite muscle
>>> cars and please separately say why, for each fave one named. You don't
>>> have to
>>> offer only ultra technical-mechanical reasons, but it's fine if that
>>> stuff is mentioned.

>> 1. Dual Quad Hemi Cuda - Cutie with monstrous power to weight ratio.

> Not a muscle car... a 'pony car'. If the first Cudas had beat the first
> Mustangs in popularity... 'pony cars' would be known as 'fish cars'!
>

>> 2. ZL-1 Camaro with L88/89 aluminum engine - If you have to ask ...

> Not a muscle car... a 'pony car'.
>

>> 3. Tri-Power 427 Stingray fastback with chambered side pipes -
>> Sleek beauty with performance.and sound to match

> Not a muscle car... a sports car.
>
> A muscle car is defined as an American intermediate size car (in their
> basic,
> bottom line 6 cylinder state, they were purchased by nuns and church
> ladies
> etc.), which had the largest most powerful engine that the manufacture had
> in
> inventory, jammed into the engine compartment. Names, badges, letters of
> alphbet etc., denoting performance were attached to the body work.The
> Pontiac GTO is regarded as the first muscle car.
>
> As kids in the 1960's, when we heard one approaching, we would stand on
> either side of the road and pretend that we were flag men at the starting
> line of a race track. We would gesture to the approaching car with our
> imaginary race flags. Most didn't disappoint by not opening the 4, 6, 8,
> or
> whatever number of barrels they had under the hood! We would not do this
> close to school, lest the nuns were to see us... they were just too scary,
> almost the same kind of scary as riding in a muscle car at full chat!

Take it from someone who was involved at the time,
each of those cars were indisputably considered to be
muscle cars, with the hemi-cuda being at the throne.
Does the name Arlen Vanke ring a bell for anyone?

Old April 4th 11, 11:27 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.driving,aus.cars,rec.autos.driving
Lil Abner

On 4/4/2011 6:05 PM, Adrian wrote:
> Lil > gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
> saying:

>>> Is there the slightest hint of variety in it, or is this "endless" list
>>> similarly repetitive?
>>>
>>> Well, I s'pose the Merc is the exception that proves the rule.

>> Variety? No I didn't include any Vegas.

> Y'see, this is why I asked whether there was a definition of "muscle
> car". Just wondering whether this was a game the whole world could play,
> or if it was only open to those who forget (or don't actually realise or
> care) that 95% of the planet's population exist.
>
> I mean, what with there being a couple of global groups and two non-US
> national groups in the cross-post line...

I should have cut off the other groups. I didn't really pay any
attention but to rec autos driving.
Whoever started the tread thought everyone was familiar with muscle
cars, I guess.
Old April 4th 11, 11:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Old Chrysler 300 C Hemis, old Dodge Hemis.1957 Ford Fairlane 500.
Christine.American Muscle Cars.

<Hy Heidi>
cuhulin

Old April 5th 11, 12:38 AM posted to rec.autos.sport.nascar,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving
Anna Khonda

mid 60's
Mustang.. pony car
427 Fairlane.. muscle car
Camaro.. pony car
427 Chevelle... muscle car
Challener... pony car
426 SuperBee... muscle car
Firebird.. pony car
389 tripower GTO... muscle car

That's the way I 'member it.

Old April 5th 11, 01:18 AM posted to rec.autos.sport.nascar,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.driving,aus.cars,rec.autos.driving
Trevor Wilson[_3_]

Hachiroku ???? wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Apr 2011 01:39:25 -0700, Jeff wrote:
>
>> Irrespective of the age, make or model, what are currently your 3
>> favorite muscle
>> cars and please separately say why, for each fave one named. You
>> don't have to
>> offer only ultra technical-mechanical reasons, but it's fine if that
>> stuff is mentioned.

> Shelby Cobra or Shelby GT 500

**Watch yourself. JohnH is about to jump down your throat and claim that the
Shelby Cobra is not a muscle car (yeah, right) and the name is wrong anyway.
You and me know different.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Old April 5th 11, 01:19 AM posted to rec.autos.sport.nascar,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.driving,aus.cars,rec.autos.driving
Trevor Wilson[_3_]

Hachiroku ???? wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Apr 2011 06:37:17 +1000, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>
>> Jeff wrote:
>>> Irrespective of the age, make or model, what are currently your 3
>>> favorite muscle
>>> cars and please separately say why, for each fave one named. You
>>> don't have to
>>> offer only ultra technical-mechanical reasons, but it's fine if that
>>> stuff is mentioned.

>> **There is and always was only one:
>> A Shelby Cobra.
>>
>> Never driven one. I just wanted one, ever since I saw/read about it
>> when I was 12 years old.
>>
>> I still want one.

> Don't we all?

**Yep. It is still a beautiful car.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Old April 5th 11, 02:11 AM posted to rec.autos.sport.nascar,rec.autos.tech,aus.cars,rec.autos.driving
Scotty[_2_]

"Trevor Wilson" > wrote in message ...
: Hachiroku ???? wrote:
: > On Tue, 05 Apr 2011 06:37:17 +1000, Trevor Wilson wrote:
: >
: >> Jeff wrote:
: >>> Irrespective of the age, make or model, what are currently your 3
: >>> favorite muscle
: >>> cars and please separately say why, for each fave one named. You
: >>> don't have to
: >>> offer only ultra technical-mechanical reasons, but it's fine if that
: >>> stuff is mentioned.
: >>
:
: **Yep. It is still a beautiful car.
:
:
: --
: Trevor Wilson
: www.rageaudio.com.au
:
:

There is ( or used to be) a bloke in Upper Hutt New Zealand that built awesome replicas for around
$60k.(that was turn key around 15 or so years ago so probably now $80K) He was that good that he
actually exported some of them to the US. Graham Berry was the bloke (search for Graham Berry Race
Cars). He used to do an awesome Almac versions with a 427 or similar engine. Seen a couple and I
think Id rather pay him $70 than $200k for a genuine version. The sound of them roaring past was
unbelievable.

Old April 5th 11, 02:29 AM posted to rec.autos.sport.nascar,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.driving,aus.cars,rec.autos.driving
AMuzi

Criminal Drivers Murder 35,000 Americans a Year wrote:
> On Apr 4, 2:39 am, Jeff > wrote:
>> Irrespective of the age, make or model, what are currently your 3
>> favorite muscle
>> cars and please separately say why, for each fave one named. You don't
>> have to
>> offer only ultra technical-mechanical reasons, but it's fine if that
>> stuff is mentioned.

> They aren't muscle cars, they're murder cars and only child-molesting
> homos care about them.

Crashes happen at specific points in space and time.
Mine's faster, so I pass those points before you get there.
=safety.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>
Old April 5th 11, 03:12 AM posted to rec.autos.sport.nascar,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.driving,aus.cars,rec.autos.driving
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Tue, 05 Apr 2011 06:37:17 +1000, Trevor Wilson wrote:

> Jeff wrote:
>> Irrespective of the age, make or model, what are currently your 3
>> favorite muscle
>> cars and please separately say why, for each fave one named. You don't
>> have to
>> offer only ultra technical-mechanical reasons, but it's fine if that
>> stuff is mentioned.

> **There is and always was only one:
> A Shelby Cobra.
>
> Never driven one. I just wanted one, ever since I saw/read about it when I
> was 12 years old.
>
> I still want one.

Don't we all?