Thank You

Old October 9th 08, 02:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bob Hoover

Default Thank You

Darrell Daniels and his son Nick rolled up to the shop about noon
today.

I stumbled around pretending to know what I was doing whilst Chief
Daniels picked up my 1965 bus and flipped her upside down, whereupon
son Nick plucked out the starter. After cluck-clucking and shaking of
heads they removed the failed solenoid, installed a replacement and
plugged it back in. Another flip and the bus was back on her feet,
eager to start at the twist of a key.

"Anything else?"

I waved my cane at the front wheels and their recalcitrant brakes.
Quicker than instanter, which is faster than a speeding bullet, the
front brakes were bled to the point where stomping on them caused the
old bus to stop on a dime and give you eight cents in change.

"Anything else?"

"Windows?" I asked hopefully.

The father-son team shared a smile then Nick shook his head. "Sorry.
We don't do windows." And down the hill they roared.

I don't know Chief Warrant Officer Daniels from the man in the moon.
I'd already retired from the Navy by the time he decided to join and
that was nearly thirty years ago. But Darrell owns a Volkswagen,
lives just twenty freeway minutes away and has heard I was ****ing &
moaning about how having cancer makes you weak as a cat and unable to
maintain your daily driver. So he gave me a call, asked if he might
be of any use.

So here's my heart-felt thanks to a fellow sailor and his team-mate
son, Nick.

-Bob Hoover
Old October 9th 08, 03:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"Bob Hoover" > wrote in message

> > So here's my heart-felt thanks to a fellow sailor and his team-mate

> son, Nick.
>
> -Bob Hoover

Bob, thanks for sharing this story... and God Bless Mr. Daniels and his son
for helping out a fellow in need.

Old October 9th 08, 03:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Some of the good guys!!! ;-)

news

Old October 9th 08, 03:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Leopold Stotch[_2_]

Bob Hoover wrote:
> Darrell Daniels and his son Nick rolled up to the shop about noon
> today.
>
> I stumbled around pretending to know what I was doing whilst Chief
> Daniels picked up my 1965 bus and flipped her upside down, whereupon
> son Nick plucked out the starter. After cluck-clucking and shaking of
> heads they removed the failed solenoid, installed a replacement and
> plugged it back in. Another flip and the bus was back on her feet,
> eager to start at the twist of a key.
>
> "Anything else?"
>
> I waved my cane at the front wheels and their recalcitrant brakes.
> Quicker than instanter, which is faster than a speeding bullet, the
> front brakes were bled to the point where stomping on them caused the
> old bus to stop on a dime and give you eight cents in change.
>
> "Anything else?"
>
> "Windows?" I asked hopefully.
>
> The father-son team shared a smile then Nick shook his head. "Sorry.
> We don't do windows." And down the hill they roared.

> I don't know Chief Warrant Officer Daniels from the man in the moon.
> I'd already retired from the Navy by the time he decided to join and
> that was nearly thirty years ago. But Darrell owns a Volkswagen,
> lives just twenty freeway minutes away and has heard I was ****ing &
> moaning about how having cancer makes you weak as a cat and unable to
> maintain your daily driver. So he gave me a call, asked if he might
> be of any use.
>
> So here's my heart-felt thanks to a fellow sailor and his team-mate
> son, Nick.
>
> -Bob Hoover

Nice to know there's still good people out there. Get better Bob.

Old October 9th 08, 04:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On Oct 8, 6:39*pm, Bob Hoover > wrote:
> Darrell Daniels and his son Nick rolled up to the shop about noon
> today.
>
> I stumbled around pretending to know what I was doing whilst Chief
> Daniels picked up my 1965 bus and flipped her upside down, whereupon
> son Nick plucked out the starter. *After cluck-clucking and shaking of
> heads they removed the failed solenoid, installed a replacement and
> plugged it back in. *Another flip and the bus was back on her feet,
> eager to start at the twist of a key.
>
> "Anything else?"
>
> I waved my cane at the front wheels and their recalcitrant brakes.
> Quicker than instanter, which is faster than a speeding bullet, the
> front brakes were bled to the point where stomping on them caused the
> old bus to stop on a dime and give you eight cents in change.
>
> "Anything else?"
>
> "Windows?" *I asked hopefully.
>
> The father-son team shared a smile then Nick shook his head. *"Sorry.
> We don't do windows." *And down the hill they roared.

> I don't know Chief Warrant Officer Daniels from the man in the moon.
> I'd already retired from the Navy by the time he decided to join and
> that was nearly thirty years ago. *But Darrell owns a Volkswagen,
> lives just twenty freeway minutes away and has heard I was ****ing &
> moaning about how having cancer makes you weak as a cat and unable to
> maintain your daily driver. *So he gave me a call, asked if he might
> be of any use.
>
> So here's my heart-felt thanks to a fellow sailor and his team-mate
> son, Nick.
>
> -Bob Hoover

Bob, it was a pleasure, wow, thanks for the shout, as I said, I
considered it a partial payment rendered for all the great guidance
you have given myself and so many others over the years, on this group
and on your blog. Keep up the fight.
V/R
Darrell
Old October 9th 08, 05:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bob Hoover

On Oct 8, 8:43*pm, wrote:
Keep up the fight.

> Darrell

Will do!

And if you wanna see what you look like, check-out my blog :-)

-Bob Hoover

Old October 9th 08, 05:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Leopold Stotch[_2_]

Bob Hoover wrote:
> On Oct 8, 8:43 pm, wrote:
> Keep up the fight.
>
>> Darrell

> Will do!
>
> And if you wanna see what you look like, check-out my blog :-)
>
> -Bob Hoover

Hey Bob, is that your honest to God email address in the message header?
Had something I wanted to send you.

Leo
Old October 9th 08, 12:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_4_]

Joey Tribiani wrote:
> "Bob Hoover" > wrote in message
>>> So here's my heart-felt thanks to a fellow sailor and his team-mate

>> son, Nick.
>>
>> -Bob Hoover

> Bob, thanks for sharing this story... and God Bless Mr. Daniels and his son
> for helping out a fellow in need.

There are still some decent people left in the world.
Even if you have to go look in the navy.... well, nobody's perfect

Jan (Army Reserve, lol)