OT Started building a deck today

Old October 2nd 08, 12:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

Default OT Started building a deck today

> wrote in message
>
>> Hickory is probably my favorite species, but my least favorite to work
>> with.

>What's it good for ? It was a pretty big tree.

>Randy

hickory has a beautiful range of colors.... it is a very hard wood and lots
of varience in color(very grainy ). it is also brittle and that is why it's
one of my least favorite woods to work with...

great for flooring:
http://millcreekmountainhomes.com/ht..._flooring.html
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/112/3...5004fd.jpg?v=0

cabinetry and trim work:
http://www.homesteadtimbers.com/imag...y_cabinets.jpg
http://vicaone.com/sitebuilder/image...47-423x298.jpg
http://user1444282.sites.myregistere...TCHEN20003.jpg

furniture
http://www.amishshowroom.com/images/...%20Hickory.jpg
http://www.oldhickory.com/catalog/tb1906slab2.jpg

because of the wide range of color in hickory, you either like it or you
don't....

Old October 2nd 08, 01:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On Oct 1, 6:41*pm, "Joey Tribiani" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> *>
>
> >> Hickory is probably my favorite species, but my least favorite to work
> >> with.

> >What's it good for ? * It was a pretty big tree.
> >Randy

> hickory has a beautiful range of colors.... it is a very hard wood and lots
> of varience in color(very grainy ). it is also brittle and that is why it's
> one of my least favorite woods to work with...
>
> great for flooring:http://millcreekmountainhomes.com/ht...5004fd.jpg?v=0
>
> cabinetry and trim work:http://www.homesteadtimbers.com/imag...ercontent/site....
>
> furniturehttp://www.amishshowroom.com/images/1149%20Slot%20Bench%20Hickory.jpghttp://www.oldhickory.com/catalog/tb1906slab2.jpg
>
> because of the wide range of color in hickory, you either like it or you
> don't....

Hey thanks. I liked the furniture. Especially the Amish piece.
A neighbor who does lots of wood working is going to come up and take
a look and see if he wants the hickory. I hate wasting anything.

Randy
Old October 2nd 08, 10:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Al Adams

If memory serves me correctly, hickory is the preferred wood for tool
handles that are subject to high impact stress such as axes, splitting
mauls, and hammers. Anybody in your area that specializes in making tool
handles? Here in northern Vermont (sadly, outside the natural range of
hickory) there used to be a division of True Temper that paid good money for
ash logs that were milled into handles for shovels.

Al Adams

Old October 4th 08, 09:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Shag

Quick update:
Here's the general idea for the deck. The tan part is where the deck
will be: http://www.employees.org/~travist/deck/deck_idea.jpg
We made a little progress on the deck today. Have gotten all of the
outer band part up that is lag bolted to the house. I started using
the impact wrench today to work with the lag bolts and it made the job
so much easier that I removed the existing lag bolts and then put them
back in with a washer this time. I just added the last four pictures
he
http://www.employees.org/~travist/deck/deck.html
Old October 5th 08, 11:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Shag

hmmm... tried to update this yesterday but it looks like the post
never went through. Anyway, got more done on the deck yesterday. My
wife convinced me to start using the impact wrench to put the lag
bolts in. That made the job so much easier that I actually removed
the lag bolts I'd already put in and added a washer to each of them
when I replaced them. Got all of the part of the outer band up that
bolts to the house. When the sun comes up in a little bit I'll get
back out there today and work a little more on it. Here's the basic
idea of the shape of the deck: http://www.employees.org/~travist/deck/deck_idea.jpg
Here's a little page I started on it with 4 new pictures I added at
the bottom yesterday: http://www.employees.org/~travist/deck/deck.html
I will update that page with new pictures as we go.