power steering stop leak?

Old June 4th 12, 03:27 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Default power steering stop leak?

Vic Smith > wrote:
>On 3 Jun 2012 13:31:24 -0400, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
>
>>Some of the best times I've ever had, some of the most interesting people
>>I've ever met, and some of the weirdest sex I've ever had were all the
>>result of having broken down on the highway in some POS automobile or
>>motorcycle. Life is an adventure and you don't live without taking some
>>risks. Buy an Ural and have fun.

>You could do the same hitch hiking,
>Or just pull over and pretend your car broke down.
>I know, I know. It just wouldn't be the same.

You miss out on the fun of explaining to the guys in the biker gang who
stopped to help just why you're riding a '54 Moto Guzzi in the first place.
"My dong has more displacement than that thing," says one of them.
--scott
Old June 4th 12, 04:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"Stu" > wrote in message

> As is anyone, but what you are NOT entitled to is your
> own ridiculously false facts.

And you wouldnt know the difference. Just STFU and go
back under the porch.

Old June 4th 12, 05:08 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Stu[_3_]

"hls" > wrote in message

> "Stu" > wrote in message
>>
>> As is anyone, but what you are NOT entitled to is your
>> own ridiculously false facts.
>>

> And you wouldnt know the difference.

More opinion with an again total absence of basis but
superciliously and pretentiously presented as meaningful.

> Just STFU and go back under the porch.

What an incredibly witty rejoinder. Come up with that
pathetically feeble attempt at an insult all by yourself?

Old June 9th 12, 02:01 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Fri, 01 Jun 2012 15:36:42 -0400, George >
wrote:

>The P/S fluid in our '04 Cavalier (90K miles) is down below the
>dipstick. (First time I've checked it in 2+ years.) No noticable
>spotting under the car, so I'm guessing there's a slow leak. Is there a
>downside to adding "power steering fluid with stop leak"? (Like, "OMG,
>it will plug the ...")
>
>Thanks,
>George

No, there is no problem using that stuff. The stop leak type just has
some extra solvents in it that will soften and swell the rubber seals
and hopefully make them stop leaking. One thing you do not want to do
is flush all the old fluid out since it has built up a nice supply of
very fine but harmless particles that very possibly will help seal
leaks. Also, do NOT use any synthetic PS fluid. There is a good
chance it will make the leak worse. I did both those mistakes and
turned a small leak into a big one.
Old June 9th 12, 02:25 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 06/08/2012 06:01 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Jun 2012 15:36:42 -0400, >
> wrote:
>
>> The P/S fluid in our '04 Cavalier (90K miles) is down below the
>> dipstick. (First time I've checked it in 2+ years.) No noticable
>> spotting under the car, so I'm guessing there's a slow leak. Is there a
>> downside to adding "power steering fluid with stop leak"? (Like, "OMG,
>> it will plug the ...")
>>
>> Thanks,
>> George

> No, there is no problem using that stuff. The stop leak type just has
> some extra solvents in it that will soften and swell the rubber seals
> and hopefully make them stop leaking. One thing you do not want to do
> is flush all the old fluid out since it has built up a nice supply of
> very fine but harmless particles that very possibly will help seal
> leaks.

this is a common but completely erroneous myth. the only "particles"
than can slow leaks are things like walnut shell powder in radiators -
and that's because they swell in position after they're added. the
particles in power steering systems, engines or anything else of that
nature, are non-swelling and have no more ability to seal leaks than
sand does to retain water in your kids sandcastle moat.

> Also, do NOT use any synthetic PS fluid. There is a good
> chance it will make the leak worse.

again, this is simply myth.

> I did both those mistakes and
> turned a small leak into a big one.

no, your leak simply got bigger because it was going to happen anyway.
the only way to seal a leak is to fix the thing that's /letting/ it
leak. all the magic spells and potions people sell, and all the
witchcraft people cite, is just the crap that fills the gap between what
people know [i.e. "it's leaking"] and what they /need/ to know [i.e.
"why"].

--
fact check required

Power Steering Stop Leak to cure noisy pump? phaeton Technology 10 March 29th 09 05:22 PM
Power Steering Leak 97tjMike Jeep 2 January 8th 07 01:43 AM
Power steering leak [email protected] Technology 5 April 17th 06 09:36 PM
AWA [OFFER] Engine,Transmission,Power Steering Stop Leak [email protected] General 0 January 19th 06 08:51 PM
Power steering leak Ed VW water cooled 2 December 4th 04 11:46 PM