power steering stop leak?

Old June 3rd 12, 01:34 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Vic Smith

Default power steering stop leak?

On Sat, 02 Jun 2012 07:01:35 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

>The prices on replacement parts are pretty reasonable. I couldn't
>believe some of the price on some parts - they seemed too low. A few
>days ago, while at a mall lot, I parked next to an 84 Cavalier that I
>used to own. I was surprised to see it cause I sold it to some college
>kids over a decade ago. I can recognize it from the front fascia being
>pushed in on the sides. My wife ran into a car which them rammed the two
>cars in front of it. She said the car in the middle looked like an
>accordion.
>
>Oddly enough, there wasn't that much damage to the Chevy. I replaced a
>headlight and bought a bumper complete with energy absorbing struts from
>a junkyard and did a little prying of the sheet metal and the car ran
>and looked fine. The bumper system worked pretty good: the turn signal
>lamp on the bumper had the filament support bent 90 degrees but one of
>the headlamps still worked.

You don't know what gives until an accident.
A woman taile-ended my wife's '85 Cav, and it did some damage to her,
end, but not a scratch on the Cav.
I was careless once on a right turn from the highway, thinking the guy
in front of me had gone. Smacked the tail of his Taurus with my
Celebrity, giving it a good thump. We got out, and he didn't have a
scratch. Partially collapsed one of the bumper shock mounts on my
Celebrity, and my bumper was pushed in a bit on one side.
Of course I apologized, but the Ford guy just looked back and forth
from my car to his with a smirk on his face. BFD.
That's okay, I was happy he had no damage for my insurance to pay.

Body parts are especially cheap at boneyards. I helped my son (mostly
kept him company in the garage) put our '93 Berretta and his '93
Corsica back together after he totaled them. Half the cost for parts
that the insurance company paid for the total Even color matched.
Hoods, fenders, grillwork, etc.
But he's "really" good at that. I couldn't do it.
My main contribution was encouraging him in rough spots - sometimes.
I was mostly hands off after teaching him simple wrenching early.
He was only 16 when he smashed up his Corsica, and my wife told me he
was in the garage crying. I usually stayed out of there because I was
****ed at how he and her had messed it up. I like an organized garage.
I only let that happen because he had taken over all the routine
maintenance on our cars, and I was working long hours.
Anyway, the frame members in the engine compartment were bent up
from the radiator getting caved in, and he was frustrated and losing
confidence. Winter time, unheated garage. I really felt he should
junk that car, but it was his first and he loved it. So I took him to
Ace and we bought some angle iron, then to Big Lots and bought some
big, cheap Chinese C-clamps.
Spent maybe 50 bucks. Straightened everything with that.

About a year later he converted the auto to a Getrag floor stick with
all boneyard parts. He didn't tell me what he was doing until he was
almost done. Why would he do all that work on a '93 Corsica?
I'll never know, because I'm me and he's him.
Anyway, he only got half a mile from the house before a half-shaft
came out. Once again he was tearful, frustrated and not enough money
to get the car towed. I picked up the tow, and told him he just
needed to talk to a half-shaft pro, and looked one up for him.
He went over there, and that guy fixed him right up with the exact
length half-shaft he needed dirt cheap. He learned from that.
After that, nothing stops him. I admire him for his wrenching
abilities and tenacity. I rebuilt a couple engines when I was young,
singlehanded, but wouldn't tackle some of the stuff he's done.
He just loves this ****. I only used to "like" it.

Back to Chevys. The latest I owned is my '97, and since my son does
most the work on them now and makes everything look easy, I might have
my head up in the clouds a bit. A Chevy never stranded me.
But if some lady asks me what car she should buy, I just tell her to
buy a Corolla.
Because I know those "little" 50, 100, and 200 buck jobs my son does
in the time it takes to drink a beer or two, will cost her 250, 500,
and 1000 bucks, put her car down in a shop, and make her life
miserable.
She probably won't get them done when they should be done, and just
compound her misery, and blame it all on GM.
Best for her to get a Corolla.

The '85 Cavalier wasn't a good car, just cheap for me to operate.
I had to do the water pump, heater core, fuel pump and ECU.
Door hardware was crap too.
But I paid only $900 for it and we drove it for 10 years.
I never liked the Beretta at all, Wife and son pushed me to buy it
because it was "pretty." It was on the street with a for sale sign.
Paid $1500, and it was a second car for about 8 years, except for a
couple years a daughter used it for college commuting.
The son of the old guy I bought it from had used it for that too.
He kept the maintenance book, and I saw they spent a *lot* of money
on repairs. But it never gave me any trouble at all, except maybe an
alternator.

The TCC went out on both Corsicas (and my '93 Grand Am.)
Just unplugged them, since they're only fit for local driving anyway.
I always have a bigger Chevy for my highway trips.
Only took a Corsica, the 2.2 , on a couple "long" trips, 600 miles.
My ass was hurting after 150 miles.
None of the small Chevys I've had are good for long road trips.
Seats aren't made for it. The Grand Am has good seats though.
Have to keep resisting my son telling me he wants to fix the TCC on
the Grand Am. Like I say, he just loves wrenching.
I don't like the Grand Am either, for the same reason I didn't like
the Beretta. 2-doors, with big honking doors you can't swing open in
a parking lot.

Anyway, I don't tell anybody they should buy a Chevy.
But they worked for me, and I know quite a bit about them pre-98.
No big deal now with the internet, but I used to talk to pro mechs
before I bought a car. Got steered straight.
Always got them used, and steeply discounted because of rampant
anti-GM sentiments in the marketplace.
Women don't seem to care much about brands.
The daughter who was driving the Beretta was happy with that.
A year after she became a school teacher she took a $30k note for a
new Japanese SUV. She never asked me what to buy, because she
knows I'll point her at a 7 year-old Chevy.
I owned a mess of cars in the past 46 years, and haven't spent close
to that buying all of them. Only had 2 small notes, paid off quick.
And I get what HLS said that a PS pump can be costly.
I saw something like $450 for the Celebrity pump on the invoice for
the warranty work.
But I've never paid more than about 50 bucks for the couple I've done.
So when he slags Chevys on a tech group, instead of talking about how
to fix them, well hell, excuse me.
I fully expect to get another late model Chevy in the next few years,
because my Lumina is rusting. If I do my homework, it'll be a good
buy for a reliable car. Probably a Malibu or Impala.
There's always going to be a steep discount on GM cars while guys like
HLS are around. That's how it works.
And I take advantage of it. Because I'm a stone cheapskate with cars.
That's how I retired early. Chevys.

--
Vic

Old June 3rd 12, 04:50 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"Vic Smith" > wrote in message

> There's always going to be a steep discount on GM cars while guys like
> HLS are around. That's how it works.

You pay **** prices for **** products.

You are a good guy to help your son like that. I have done it with my sons
and my
daughter.. This builds confidence, no matter what else happens. Heck, they
dont
know what to do when they have bought or inherited a POS.. You and I help
them
work it out.

If your comment about me was intended as an insult, I can take the heat.

I have been in this a long time, and have suffered under the **** that GM
produced.. I dont any longer. Toyota is not the master of the world, BUT
GM, before and after bailout, really didnt care a lot about its customers.

Take care of your children and your wife.. Nothing is more important.. And,
you never want to send them out on the highway with something that will
leave them stranded, or that will break and kill them, or that will put them
in any situation that will cause them undue worry or harm.

Old June 3rd 12, 11:25 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_10_]

On 6/2/2012 1:29 PM, hls wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>>
>> The prices on replacement parts are pretty reasonable.

> Some parts prices are quite reasonable, and the quality can be very good.
>
> Dealerships still tend to be a bit pricey. I tried to buy some strut
> cartridges from a
> dealership here, and the price was over $129.00 each. The parts man then
> told me
> that I could go to NAPA and buy the VERY SAME cartridges for about $30
> each.
> Which I did.
>
> On the power steering pump, I think the dealership price was a couple
> hundred bucks.
> My FLAPS buddy bought it for me and, with his discount, I got it for
> substantially less.
>
> I realized how much time I had wasted with the re-sealing, time, parts,
> etc, and - had
> I known what a hopeless case it was - would have gone that way first.

I guess that sooner or later most of us learn about this time vs money
vs hassle thing.
Old June 3rd 12, 06:31 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

hls > wrote:
>GM, before and after bailout, really didnt care a lot about its customers.
>
>Take care of your children and your wife.. Nothing is more important.. And,
>you never want to send them out on the highway with something that will
>leave them stranded, or that will break and kill them, or that will put them
>in any situation that will cause them undue worry or harm.

Some of the best times I've ever had, some of the most interesting people
I've ever met, and some of the weirdest sex I've ever had were all the
result of having broken down on the highway in some POS automobile or
motorcycle. Life is an adventure and you don't live without taking some
risks. Buy an Ural and have fun.
--scott
Old June 3rd 12, 08:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"Scott Dorsey" > wrote in message
> hls > wrote:
> Some of the best times I've ever had, some of the most interesting people
> I've ever met, and some of the weirdest sex I've ever had were all the
> result of having broken down on the highway in some POS automobile or
> motorcycle. Life is an adventure and you don't live without taking some
> risks. Buy an Ural and have fun.
> --scott

My father in law will be 100 years old in October. He never traveled much
because he was always worried about what would happen if a tire failed,
or if the car broke down. I tell him that if it happens, we will stop and
fix
it, but the point is that he wasted a lot of years being "house bound" when
he could have enjoyed a lot of things with his wife.

I am the adventurous one: my wife is definitely not.

Old June 3rd 12, 09:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Vic Smith

On Sat, 2 Jun 2012 22:50:57 -0500, "hls" > wrote:

>"Vic Smith" > wrote in message
>
> > There's always going to be a steep discount on GM cars while guys like
>> HLS are around. That's how it works.

>You pay **** prices for **** products.

Really guy, I never suffered from your misjudgment of cars.

>You are a good guy to help your son like that. I have done it with my sons
>and my
>daughter.. This builds confidence, no matter what else happens. Heck, they
>dont
>know what to do when they have bought or inherited a POS.. You and I help
>them
>work it out.

Still can't resist piling on the insults, eh?

>If your comment about me was intended as an insult, I can take the heat.

That's evident from how you took it up the ass from GM many times.
No, I've been fair with you, and didn't insult you.
Until now. Let's start with you don't have enough head beans to
outsmart a Chevy PS pump replacement.
Stick to chemistry and Toyotas that never need fixing.
Like I said, I always tell the ladies to buy a Corolla.
Old ladies with loads of money should buy an Avalon. Excellent.cars.
Less chance of making a bad decision.
Solves all their car fixing issues, until something has to be fixed.
But whatever needs fixing, it's God's will, not GM's.
God is more merciful than GM.

>I have been in this a long time, and have suffered under the **** that GM
>produced.. I dont any longer. Toyota is not the master of the world, BUT
>GM, before and after bailout, really didnt care a lot about its customers.

Wah, wah, wah, your crying never stops.
Took you a damned long time of "getting screwed" to wise up, and not
waste money on what you can't handle.
I never caught that affliction either. Can't understand how somebody
willingly keeps bending over, again and again.
Then keeps whining like a baby about a sore asshole.

>Take care of your children and your wife.. Nothing is more important.. And,
>you never want to send them out on the highway with something that will
>leave them stranded, or that will break and kill them, or that will put them
>in any situation that will cause them undue worry or harm.

What is that, your family version of "You need to change your oil?"
I suppose you mean to imply there that all GM cars are "unsafe" and I
endanger my family. Only follows, given your GM hatred.
You're a real trip, you are.
Don't expect me to take any of your car advice seriously.
Or anything else for that matter.
I demand sanity from those I listen to.
You're over the edge.
You're a wacko, HLS. Am I the first to let you know?
But guys/women like you discounting various cars they couldn't handle
mechanically allowed me to retire early.
Takes all types to make the world go round. .
I'm good with that.

--
Vic

Old June 3rd 12, 10:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_10_]

On 6/2/2012 2:34 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

> You don't know what gives until an accident.
> A woman taile-ended my wife's '85 Cav, and it did some damage to her,
> end, but not a scratch on the Cav.
> I was careless once on a right turn from the highway, thinking the guy
> in front of me had gone. Smacked the tail of his Taurus with my
> Celebrity, giving it a good thump. We got out, and he didn't have a
> scratch. Partially collapsed one of the bumper shock mounts on my
> Celebrity, and my bumper was pushed in a bit on one side.
> Of course I apologized, but the Ford guy just looked back and forth
> from my car to his with a smirk on his face. BFD.
> That's okay, I was happy he had no damage for my insurance to pay.

My wife damaged 3 cars, probably totaling one of them, and didn't get a
scratch. Inexplicable.

> [...]
> I owned a mess of cars in the past 46 years, and haven't spent close
> to that buying all of them. Only had 2 small notes, paid off quick.
> And I get what HLS said that a PS pump can be costly.
> I saw something like $450 for the Celebrity pump on the invoice for
> the warranty work.
> But I've never paid more than about 50 bucks for the couple I've done.
> So when he slags Chevys on a tech group, instead of talking about how
> to fix them, well hell, excuse me.
> I fully expect to get another late model Chevy in the next few years,
> because my Lumina is rusting. If I do my homework, it'll be a good
> buy for a reliable car. Probably a Malibu or Impala.
> There's always going to be a steep discount on GM cars while guys like
> HLS are around. That's how it works.
> And I take advantage of it. Because I'm a stone cheapskate with cars.

The Cavalier we had was a good, practical, car. It was easy to drive and
2L pushrod engine was better than most of the OHC engines I've had as
far as smooth power and fuel economy goes. The Subaru I had at the same
time had a gutless wonder of an OHC engine that never felt right with
any of the gears in the manual. The Chevy with an automatic had enough
power for my driving and always felt responsive enough and returned
27MPG to boot. The best I could get out of the Subaru as 21-22. I hated
that thing!
Old June 4th 12, 12:06 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"Vic Smith" > wrote in message > You're a
wacko, HLS. Am I the first to let you know?
..

> --
> Vic

You should have retired, Vic. If you want to be a full time cocksucker,
then hang up
your wrenches.

Old June 4th 12, 12:08 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"dsi1" > wrote in message
The Chevy with an automatic had enough
> power for my driving and always felt responsive enough and returned 27MPG
> to boot. The best I could get out of the Subaru as 21-22. I hated that
> thing!

Different strokes for different strokes. I know nothing, personally, about
Suberus. They have a LOT of followers.

I had some GM products that got 33 mpg, between failures.

Power Steering Stop Leak to cure noisy pump? phaeton Technology 10 March 29th 09 05:22 PM
Power Steering Leak 97tjMike Jeep 2 January 8th 07 01:43 AM
Power steering leak [email protected] Technology 5 April 17th 06 09:36 PM
AWA [OFFER] Engine,Transmission,Power Steering Stop Leak [email protected] General 0 January 19th 06 08:51 PM
Power steering leak Ed VW water cooled 2 December 4th 04 11:46 PM