rough idle problem

Old May 4th 12, 09:25 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ed

Default rough idle problem

I have a 2000 Plymouth chrysler 4 cylinder which seems to be having a
severe idling problem. It idles rough in neutral but when put in drive or
especially reverse it seems to act as if its chugging. About 2 weeks ago
put some of that oil bar leak stuff to help close up a rear oil seal leak.
(did that first before having to take the transaxle off) But it lessened
the leak but didnt stop it. Anyways a week later, it comes up with this
idling problem. Changed spark plugs, which had alot of ash buildup (I
assume from the specialized additive oil) still, the same problem. Put a
spark tester and tested all spark plug lines, all good. Put some injector
cleaner in the tank and still the same. Tried looking for a intake leak
with carb cleaner and found none visible. But one weird thing is that I put
a vacum pump on the EGR valve while running and the engine did not die or
stumble when applied. (changed the EGR valve bout 4 months ago and cleaned
out the long tube, it was packed with carbon) Anyone here have an idea what
the problem could be?

EdwinT
Old May 4th 12, 09:59 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ed

On Fri, 4 May 2012 15:25:48 -0500, Ed wrote:

> I have a 2000 Plymouth chrysler 4 cylinder which seems to be having a
> severe idling problem. It idles rough in neutral but when put in drive or
> especially reverse it seems to act as if its chugging. About 2 weeks ago
> put some of that oil bar leak stuff to help close up a rear oil seal leak.
> (did that first before having to take the transaxle off) But it lessened
> the leak but didnt stop it. Anyways a week later, it comes up with this
> idling problem. Changed spark plugs, which had alot of ash buildup (I
> assume from the specialized additive oil) still, the same problem. Put a
> spark tester and tested all spark plug lines, all good. Put some injector
> cleaner in the tank and still the same. Tried looking for a intake leak
> with carb cleaner and found none visible. But one weird thing is that I put
> a vacum pump on the EGR valve while running and the engine did not die or
> stumble when applied. (changed the EGR valve bout 4 months ago and cleaned
> out the long tube, it was packed with carbon) Anyone here have an idea what
> the problem could be?
>
> EdwinT

Forgot to mention that there are no OBD II codes. And no check engine
light.

EdwinT
Old May 5th 12, 12:43 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"Ed" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 4 May 2012 15:25:48 -0500, Ed wrote:

Look, I had a Chrysler V8 behave like that, and it turned out to be slag on
the
valves. Local mechanic has the machine to clean them and after the job,
the unit went on like a champion.

Mine set no codes either.

Old May 5th 12, 08:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ed

On Fri, 4 May 2012 18:43:51 -0500, hls wrote:

> "Ed" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 4 May 2012 15:25:48 -0500, Ed wrote:

> Look, I had a Chrysler V8 behave like that, and it turned out to be slag on
> the
> valves. Local mechanic has the machine to clean them and after the job,
> the unit went on like a champion.
>
> Mine set no codes either.

yeah was thinking the same thing. That the **** has gooked up on valves and
stems. Maybe the stuff isnt really worth putting in for such oil leaks.
Old May 5th 12, 09:08 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"Ed" > wrote in message
.. .
> On Fri, 4 May 2012 18:43:51 -0500, hls wrote:
>
>> "Ed" > wrote in message
>>> On Fri, 4 May 2012 15:25:48 -0500, Ed wrote:

>> Look, I had a Chrysler V8 behave like that, and it turned out to be slag
>> on
>> the
>> valves. Local mechanic has the machine to clean them and after the job,
>> the unit went on like a champion.
>>
>> Mine set no codes either.

> yeah was thinking the same thing. That the **** has gooked up on valves
> and
> stems. Maybe the stuff isnt really worth putting in for such oil leaks.

I had never used oil leak compound when this happened. It was simply the
effect of motor oil and gasoline deposits on the backsides of the valved.

I would not have believed it, but the treatment was 100% effective.. Might
not
be the same as yours though.

Old May 11th 12, 10:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ed

I think Ive discovered what might be wrong with the thing. As I noticed
that the chugging idle seemed to get worse when put in reverse and not in
foward. I started thinking it might not be an idle problem but just be bad
motor mounts. As I remember someone telling me that his motor mounts were
bad and it caused his car to hard starting,rough idleing (as it seemed like
but was really the vibrations) Looked up on Utube and saw how to check for
one. Well did the same tests and yes...engine moves consideralbly when
moving back and foward. So its gotta be the mounts. I did however forget to
mention on the first post that the muffler was vibrating also and that I
found that is was banging up and down on the muffler heat shield. So i
simply bent the shield a little higher so it wont hit the muffler. Now that
I think of it..the moving engine could cause this also. Plus strange noises
seem to happen when making turns while gas pedal is suddenly depressed,
along with crunching poping sounds from the CV axles (something else
someone told me might be a serious motor mount failure)Just gonna change em
out for the hell of it.

Ed
Old May 24th 12, 06:31 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"Ed" > wrote in message
. ..
>I think Ive discovered what might be wrong with the thing. As I noticed
> that the chugging idle seemed to get worse when put in reverse and not in
> foward. I started thinking it might not be an idle problem but just be bad
> motor mounts.

Strange and dangerous things can happen when you have bad motor mounts.
I hope you will let us know how this comes out.

ROUGH IDLE tgenzi Audi 2 December 29th 07 01:06 AM
rough idle KLS Audi 4 October 14th 07 07:56 PM
rough idle 97 TJ 97tjMike Jeep 7 June 2nd 07 11:59 PM
Fast idle at start / rough idle warm [email protected] Ford Explorer 4 April 14th 05 06:08 PM
'88 Honda Accord LX rough idle problem Chris Hayden Honda 2 November 12th 04 03:09 AM