1974 Corvette for sale

Old February 2nd 05, 05:16 PM
Dad

"dave" > wrote in message
> >"Dad" > wrote in message

>> Strange, I've been looking for another C3, money is not the problem.

> Finding
>> one that is worth a Fig and priced appropriately is the problem. Do you

> have
>> any idea how many "rare" Corvettes were built, ALL OF THEM. I can wait

> till
>> next winter if I need to, I'm just not going to pay a bloated price.
>> --
>> Dad
>> 05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51
>> 72 Shark Black/Black/4spd

> i don't know, where was he stating it was rare and why you were thinking
> it
> was bloated ? ~ maybe due to location. ?Do you guys have a bunch out that
> way ? Here in Wis a $5500 Vette seems like a great price to me, almost a
> steal, if it is in pretty decent shape. In top end shape they are selling
> over $11k here for a 75 and a bit more for a 74.
>
> I'd still have to see his pics.. I'll reserve full judgement on the steal
> at
> $5500. It could be a bucket of bolts and leaking badly thus not worth $1k
> let alone $5k

I guess it's because I wasn't replying to the OP but more to the process of
spending money for a Corvette as was stated in the reply to the OP, which
you clipped.

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old February 2nd 05, 05:22 PM
Dad

You're right on Tom, I watched Barrett Jackson auctions the other night and
it is a joke. Being from a family of auctioneers and having started working
auctions when I was 14 I tend to avoid them. My Dad, an auctioneer since
before I was born, used to say that "all it takes to make an auction work
was one dishonest auctioneer and one bidder".

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

ink.net...

Old February 2nd 05, 09:19 PM
ThaDriver

Well you can say what you want: I spent the past summer living in my moving
van & had to sell my Cabriolet (which took forever & I finally had to
settle for trading for a non-running Fiero & getting just 2 grand boot) in
order to build a 16 x 16 loft in my storage building/shop to stay warm this
winter. I've been trying to get work (doing *quality* - SHOW quality if you
want it - paint jobs) for the past 9 months & have several folks that
*want* me to do it but none of them have the money to do *anything* right
now. My best friend lost his job, his home, & everything he couldn't put
here at my place & in a 10 x 10 storage building & is now homeless.
Yeah - the economy is GREAT!!!!
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Easy on the Giggle Cream!

Old February 3rd 05, 05:22 AM
Barking Rats

In article >,
ZombyWoof > wrote:

> But his logic is faulty & insane because it doesn't even have the
> right engine & tranny. Complete in on the road condition it isn't
> worth 28k, let alone as a basket case.

A "B" or "C" grade '64 fuelie with non-matching wouldn't be worth $28k?
I do agree the guy is certainly dreaming - it would be near impossible
to build this car back to "original" condition. Finding or modifying all
the dated parts would be quite a task.

I do find the 4:11 rear and radio delete rather interesting - only 1325
fuelies were built, only 1295 were radio delete.

* Note the side exhaust - are there any cases of very late '64s
appearing with factory side exhaust? Upon closer inspection of the
serial # (unit #5937, November '63) it's not late at all in the model
year so the exhaust was almost certainly customer added.

* The distributor number (1111070) is applicable to late '64s, not early
in the run as this car is.

* The paint code (936) indicates the car was originally Ermine White.

* Unfortunately it's no "heater delete" car (one of 60) - then he might
have something. (Also, couldn't see well enough into the rear
compartment to see if there was a suspiciously raised floor... if so,
whoooowaaaa!)
Here's waving to ya - \||||

Owen
___

'67BB & '72BB
___

"To know the world intimately is the beginning of caring."
-- Ann Hayman Zwinger
Old February 3rd 05, 05:49 AM
Charlie

"ZombyWoof" > wrote in message
On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 06:55:02 -0800, "TF" > wrote
something wonderfully witty:

I'm a CIO not exactly rolling in dough, but doing OK. I have had an
open programmer analyst position that pays about $73K a year for over
6-months now. Yeah certain locations have had **** hit the fan. Hell
AT&T was just bought by SBC anyways. Nowadays you want work, you
gotta go where the job is. I know of at least 30 IT jobs all paying
70K plus that are open right now all over the county. Just need the
right skill set and have a willingness to go where the work is. I've
lived in numerous places in the past 20+ years. IT is the new migrant
worker.
I sure wish I could get others to understand what you just said. I've told
that to my son and his friends until I'm blue in the face. They still sit
on their butts and whine about how tough the job market is. I told my son
that when he graduates, he isn't going to be allowed to do that.

--
Charlie
!993 Corvette Convertible

Old February 3rd 05, 05:52 AM
ThaDriver

>Hey, but you got Internet access. As I said if you have a useable
skill set and are willing to be mobile there is plenty of work out
there. Perhaps part of your problem is you want to do one 5K paint
job as opposed to five 1K ones.
**********
No; the most I've quoted for a job was $4,300, for a Mera that needed a
LOT of fiberglass work. It would cost a *minimum* of 8 grand anywhere
else. I have no overhead & can save folks thousands on their paint jobs.
I've also quoted as low as $1,200 for a BMW. Keep in mind I use *quality*
materials, including epoxy primer & Sikkens clear, so my cost in materials
*alone* usually runs around $600 to $1,200. *Never* less tha $600; if
you've priced Sikkens clear lately you'll see why. Now, if someone wants
me to use cheap materials & do a *cheap* job I'll do that too. Won't
guarantee it for 20 years, though (*maybe* 2).
I don't have a degree so can't get those $75,000 jobs you mentioned in
another post...
BTW it's the world's WORST internet access - Alltel. Here's a typical
"session":
Connect - 2K & less than 30 seconds later disconnetced.
Reconnect - 70K & less than 1 min. later disconnetced.
Reconnect - 91K & less than 30 seconds later disconnetced.
Reconnect - 1K & less than 10 seconds later disconnetced.
Reconnect - 666K & 8 min. later disconnetced.
Reconnect - 91K & less than 30 seconds later disconnetced.
Dialed again - No answer.
Reconnect - 177K & 5&1/2 mins. later disconnetced.
Dialed again - No answer.
Dialed again - No answer.
Reconnect - 334K & 12 min. later disconnetced.
Reconnect - 487K & 20 min. later disconnetced.
Dialed again - Error: Disconnetced from the computer you dialed.
Final connection to send one email.
This is what I go through to check my email from the server, Hotmail,
Yahoo mail, 4 Yahoo groups, & usually 3 or 4 Talkabout groups (news groups
accessed via talkaboutautos.com). Should take about 30 min.; usually takes
me an hour & 20 mins.
Life is hard.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"
Oops: gotta re-connect before I try to send this, or at least copy it or
I'll be typing it over...

Old February 3rd 05, 06:10 PM
ThaDriver

So what is the issue, if you are good & inexpensive (different then
cheap) why aren't you getting work? Is it your geographical location,
advertising, contacts or what? If you ever want help getting your
business up running & thriving let me know and I'll help you with a
business plan.
***********
My previous point; there is no money in this economy. These folks are all
close by (or fairly so). In the past I've had folks bring cars from as far
away as Ohio (I'm in Ga.) for me to paint them.
Of course, there *are* folks with money, but they're not auto enthusiasts
(apparently) & BTW don't give a ~(<`) about other folks if my website
Screwed By insurance is any indication. BTW it will be back up soon.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Easy on the Giggle Cream!

Old February 4th 05, 03:33 AM
ThaDriver

>There was just a piece on the CBS nightly news with Dan Rather over
the high need for blue collar works. They interviewed the President
of technical Community College who talk about multiple year waits to
get into such programs as Auto Collision Repair, Certified Mechanics,
and Electricians. They interviewed the owner of a Landscaping
Business who said he would gladly pay $50,000 a ten-month year for
workers if he could find them and they were motivated.
*********
Yeah; I can't do landscaping, & doing bodywork for 30 years has rendered
my joints, back, etc. in pretty bad shape. I can work full time on
concrete for a couple months, then my knees, back, feet, wrists, pretty
much give out - although I *can* work a limited schedule. Besides the
daily pain it gets *very* bad when a knee pops out of joint. Once it stops
hurting I have always been able to pop it back in (& continue working
within a few minites :-) as did my father.
Multiple year waits to get into body school(?): you think there are *not*
plenty of young bodymen out there? You think body jobs are easy to find?
Also; in the news tonight: *Another* plant closes in Ga. & 280 *more*
folks are out of work.
You're seeing the bright side of the good ole' USA, as most folks that are
financially secure. It's a shame you/they can't see the truth.
We're off-topic here - I'm sure the others are getting tired of this
thread by now...
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Easy on the Giggle Cream!

Old February 4th 05, 04:05 AM
BDragon

"ThaDriver" <imangeloneAThotmailDOTcom@> wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> >There was just a piece on the CBS nightly news with Dan Rather over

> the high need for blue collar works. They interviewed the President
> of technical Community College who talk about multiple year waits to
> get into such programs as Auto Collision Repair, Certified Mechanics,
> and Electricians. They interviewed the owner of a Landscaping
> Business who said he would gladly pay $50,000 a ten-month year for
> workers if he could find them and they were motivated.
> *********
> Yeah; I can't do landscaping, & doing bodywork for 30 years has rendered
> my joints, back, etc. in pretty bad shape. I can work full time on
> concrete for a couple months, then my knees, back, feet, wrists, pretty
> much give out - although I *can* work a limited schedule. Besides the
> daily pain it gets *very* bad when a knee pops out of joint. Once it stops
> hurting I have always been able to pop it back in (& continue working
> within a few minites :-) as did my father.
> Multiple year waits to get into body school(?): you think there are *not*
> plenty of young bodymen out there? You think body jobs are easy to find?
> Also; in the news tonight: *Another* plant closes in Ga. & 280 *more*
> folks are out of work.
> You're seeing the bright side of the good ole' USA, as most folks that are
> financially secure. It's a shame you/they can't see the truth.
> We're off-topic here - I'm sure the others are getting tired of this
> thread by now...
> ~ Paul
> aka "Tha Driver"
>
> Easy on the Giggle Cream!

(I don't think a conversation expressing two different sides of a very
important issue can be off topic very much, no matter where it's posted.)

Old February 4th 05, 02:54 PM
Tom in Missouri

"Barking Rats" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> ZombyWoof > wrote:
>
> > But his logic is faulty & insane because it doesn't even have the
> > right engine & tranny. Complete in on the road condition it isn't
> > worth 28k, let alone as a basket case.

> A "B" or "C" grade '64 fuelie with non-matching wouldn't be worth $28k?
> I do agree the guy is certainly dreaming - it would be near impossible
> to build this car back to "original" condition. Finding or modifying all
> the dated parts would be quite a task.

Unfortunately, with midyears running $40,000-$60,000 restored NOM, the guy
isn't that far off. However, it really isn't worth it since prices are
elevated right now in part due to Barrett Jackson. They were come back down
probalby in 3-4 months some. Not a lot, but probably 10% or so.

His big flaws are the assumption of restoring it for $25,000. If you do all
your own work and charge nothing for your labor, maybe. But a good
restoration is roughly $25,000 for the restoration on a COMPLETE car and
including very few parts. Any big dollar parts and any rare parts raise the
bar considerably, not just the price of the part, but the time/effort for
finding the part and then any work needed on the part. Heck, I can se we
need a frame, fuel injection unit, and the FI air cleaner so we are in the
$12,000 in parts area already with three parts. Restoration on this car
will easily hit the $40,000 price tag, added to the $28,000 initial price,
and you are $68,000 for a restored NOM car. And then there is the year to
two years to complete it.

Better to take your money out and buy something for $40,000 to $60,000 today
outright and drive it next week in the nice weather.

> I do find the 4:11 rear and radio delete rather interesting - only 1325
> fuelies were built, only 1295 were radio delete.

But not all radio deletes were on the L84 fuel injection cars.

> * Note the side exhaust - are there any cases of very late '64s
> appearing with factory side exhaust? Upon closer inspection of the
> serial # (unit #5937, November '63) it's not late at all in the model
> year so the exhaust was almost certainly customer added.
>
> * The distributor number (1111070) is applicable to late '64s, not early
> in the run as this car is.
>
> * The paint code (936) indicates the car was originally Ermine White.
>
> * Unfortunately it's no "heater delete" car (one of 60) - then he might
> have something. (Also, couldn't see well enough into the rear
> compartment to see if there was a suspiciously raised floor... if so,
> whoooowaaaa!)
> Here's waving to ya - \||||

You can see in the back, if you look at the picture with the book on the
windshield. See the box of hubcaps? It wouldn't sit that low if the 36
gallon tank was in there.

This is a Barrett Jackson candidate, in 3 to 4 years. Buy it for too much,
spend too much to restore, and then wait for some drunk sports professional
or entertainment business person with far too much money and far too much
alcohol drop $80,000 or $100,000 because the auctioneer says it is a good
deal.

And the Democrats wondered why people didn't pay attention to their party
with people like this lining up on their side?