I'll NEVER buy another VW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old October 5th 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Rico[_1_]

Default I'll NEVER buy another VW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In article . net>, "Papa" > wrote:

>"Rico" > wrote in message
. ..
>> In article . net>, "Papa"
>> > wrote:

>>>I know you don't. Wasn't that already obvious?

>> Best part is, he showed ytou reasons why and links to see the what he's
>> talking about. In short backs up his opinion, what is yours based on?
>>

>I thought everyone was already informed about such an obvious truth. That
>is, that Toyota and Honda have long ago surpassed Ford and GM in quality,
>price, reliability, and environmentally friendly characteristics.

So based on nothing, OK sort of figured that but wanted to give you a
chance to show other wise.

>However, if you want to continue buying those GM and Ford "products", go
>ahead. It's your money and you have the right to waste it in any way you
>wish.

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.
Old October 5th 06, 11:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Rico[_1_]

In article >, Mike Smith > wrote:
>Rico wrote:
>> In article >, "Lost In Space/Woodchuck"

> > wrote:
>>> 1- free repair
>>> 2- Was a bulletin on it
>>> 3- it's a USA thing- in Germany they don't use cars as traveling restaurants

>> Whether they do or don't use cars as traveling resturants, this is an
>> extremely valid point, IMO. If you plan to sell cars outside your home
>> market (to non-Germans) get out and see how the product might be used by
>> those consumers. Consumers in the largest car market in the world do make
>> use of cup holders on a regular basis, some thought along those lines would
>> not be out of line nor too expensive to undertake. BMW and Mercedes mange
>> to get this little detail right. Say aren't they Germans?

>I'm very satisfied with the cupholders in my Passat. They hold cups,
>which is just what they're supposed to do.

I'm guessing you missed the car in question, Jetta 2003 GLS. Glad to hear
they got it right in the Passat, in older Jetta's they are in the way of
the radio. which was the point.

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.
Old October 6th 06, 12:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Timothy J. Lee

In article >,
Charlie > wrote:
>There are numerous examples of the exact same car, re-badged, doing
>substantially differently on the tests.

Recent examples?

>FWIW VW doesn't do to well on CR tests either.

Most VWs do well in CR tests, but poorly in CR's reliability survey.

Timothy J. Lee
Old October 6th 06, 12:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
none2u

Very true, This gut just got the new customer VW lesson. He still wants an
American car over his VW. He says he has or wants oldies but goodies. big
cars , timing chains. V8s. Also complains VWs are over engineered. I suspect
he really dont care about repairing them. He wants cheap parts for repairs.
That any BYM can fix easily. And he wants rolling junk that wont stop. He
says he wants reliability. But argues against Jap cars. While The Honda
civic single handedly ended American made small cars. Another person who
bought marketing hype I suspect. And he probably will be happy with an
American car. And all his gripes are not without merit. Hopefully he fixes
and trades his POS Jetta in on something he will be happy with.
link.net...

Old October 6th 06, 01:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Many of the newer VW's have auto trans made by ASIAN(SP) from Japan. The
Touareg uses such a unit as I'm sure also the New 05 Jetta & 06 Passat.
Don't have my info books here now.

Old October 6th 06, 04:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

I own a 2002 Golf

1- Free repair, ready by the end of the day.
3- I love my car but definitely the cup holders are inconveniently
placed at best. If I want to change the CD and there's a cup in them I
have to take it out, push the holders in, take the CD out, put the new
one in, push the holders out and put the cup in again. Other than that
"inconvenience" (with which I've lived 4 years already) the cup holders
are way better than the ones in most other cars I've tried (Ford
Explorers, Nissan Murano, Audi A3 to name a few). They REALLY hold
almost any cup you put there.

Never had a problem with spils (mostly 2 expresso shots in one cup, so
little chance :-)).

4- Stick

2, 5 and 6 have not happened to me

I have had my share of problems with my car in 4 years, but if you take
into accounts the features for dollars included, the ride, and interior
finishing, IMO they make up for a trip to the mechanic a year.

Hopefully I will upgrade to a GTI MkV sometime next year. :-)

Old October 6th 06, 06:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Mike Smith

Rico wrote:
> In article >, Mike Smith > wrote:
>> Rico wrote:

>>> Whether they do or don't use cars as traveling resturants, this is an
>>> extremely valid point, IMO. If you plan to sell cars outside your home
>>> market (to non-Germans) get out and see how the product might be used by
>>> those consumers. Consumers in the largest car market in the world do make
>>> use of cup holders on a regular basis, some thought along those lines would
>>> not be out of line nor too expensive to undertake. BMW and Mercedes mange
>>> to get this little detail right. Say aren't they Germans?

>> I'm very satisfied with the cupholders in my Passat. They hold cups,
>> which is just what they're supposed to do.
>>

> I'm guessing you missed the car in question, Jetta 2003 GLS. Glad to hear
> they got it right in the Passat, in older Jetta's they are in the way of
> the radio. which was the point.

The name of the thread is not "I'll never buy another Jetta". The OP is
implying that all VWs are bad, because of his bad cupholders. I'm just
pointing out that VW is perfectly capable of designing a functional
cupholder.

--
Mike Smith
Old October 6th 06, 06:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Mike Smith

Lost In Space/Woodchuck wrote:
> Many of the newer VW's have auto trans made by ASIAN(SP) from Japan. The

It's "Aisin".

--
Mike Smith
Old October 7th 06, 02:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Jonny

"Rolf Gustafsen" > wrote in message
> Once was enough for me with this POS Jetta GLS 2003 I made the mistake of
> purchasing.
>
> So far I have had:
>
> 1. Windows that fell down due to plastic clips breaking.
>
> 2. A center console that broke twice (the gear strips)
>
> 3. The cup holders breaking twice. Who puts a cup holder where it can drip
> onto the radio and climate control switches anyhow?
>
> 4. The transmission hesitating into park/reverse and shifting
> very hard from first to second.
>
> It's been re-programmed 3 times already but the problem returns after a
> couple of days.
>
> 5 The coolant pump breaking (just past the 60k warranty of course) and
> causing the car to overheat. Fortunately I was pulling into the driveway
> when it started. Who makes coolant pumps with plastic impellers pressed on
> to the shaft?
>
> 6. A groan from the rear when pushing up and down on the rear end of the
> car.
>
> Add to this all the special fluids that VW uses, like $11.00 for a little
> container of power steering fluid, $24 for G12 coolant etc.
>
> This entire pile of junk is over engineered and designed to milk the
> owners pockets with costly repairs.
>
> This car should come with it's own mechanic in the trunk as standard
> equipment.
>
> Just for comparison, I have a 1996 Chevy Impala SS with about 350,000
> miles on it and I just replaced the timing chain, gears and water pump at
> 325,000 miles or so.
>
> It still has the original engine and transmission, doesn't burn oil and
> runs like a dream.
>
> My Jetta has 63,000 miles on it and I seriously doubt it will make 100,000
> miles without something else going wrong.
> I maintain my cars very well and have yet to have a car not make 200,000
> miles or more before selling it.
>
> This Jetta, which I purchased brand new, may be the first one.
>
> I'd never by an Asian car, but my next car is going to be good old Ford,
> GM or DMC because when taken care of, they run forever and don't cost an
> arm and a leg to fix.

Your solution, at the end of your post, may be ill-advised, things aren't
like they used to be with any automobile company except perhaps Toyota.

This from a former Ford phreak, turned older VW owner. Learned its cheaper
to keep her. A Jetta would have never been a choice for me.
--
Jonny

Old October 7th 06, 05:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Sort of: for a 2001 2.0l VW auto Jetta with 117,000+ miles:

Lousy because they don't honor their warranty.

Many problems (this forum isn't big enought to list all the problems),
somewhat unreliable, scares me when the brake light switch doesn't
work, esp at night with our daughter driving it. This really ****es me
off. Also, had tranny slamming problem, solved for less than $60.00
when dealer recommended a $3800 new tranny. Get yourself a Vag-Com and
learn.

I could go on.

BUT:

Get in an accident with one and you'll be happy you're driving that
piece of ****.

Our daughter pulled out in front of a Chevy Blazer and was T-boned.
Her fault. No injuries, she felt both the side air curtaqin and the
seat bag hit her. Car was $500 short of being totaled . It was a few
years old and many miles. The other driver wasn't hurt thank goodness.
Car looked awful. The center pillar never moved, per the repair shop,
door held.

Then a U Haul truck turned into her on the drivers side (his fault).
Once again no injuries. Cost of repairs wasn't bad, just over $5500
for this time. Same for deer, sign posts, etc.

Insurance reimbursements for accidents are almost greater than cost of
car.

The car can be maintained but if you don't want to maintain them, they
are "hangar queens".

Tranny's fine (you HAVE to change tranny fluid every 40k miles, VW says
the fluid is lifetime, like crap it is). No oil leaks in engine, uses
about 1/2 quart every 8500 miles (that's the mileage interval i change
it at).

They're a heavy car and very safe. All of a sudden, we're getting over
26 mpg when before we were getting just over 21 mpg. I attribute this
to replacing some cheap rubber hoses, etc in the engine and a throttle
body adaptation every year or so (I have no idea if this effects
mileage but it's the only thing we've done.)

It was an expensive car to buy for us. Considering the hits it's
taken, I'm amazed at how well it runs).

We'll keep it and will certainly look at another, especially if their
reliability goes up.