1999 Z3 2.5 Sluggish Return to Idle

Old December 13th 05, 03:35 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default 1999 Z3 2.5 Sluggish Return to Idle

I just purchased this car: it has 76k miles. The throttle 'hangs-up'
momentarily. It makes it very difficult to change gears, as I must
delay the shift to allow the RPMs to drop. (If it was carburated, I'd
say the throttle return spring was weak.) A receipt came with the car
showing that the Mass Air Flow Sensor had been replaced, so I don't
know if someone was attempting to troubleshoot this problem or not. In
all other respects, this car idles and runs excellent. Any ideas/help
is most appreciated.

Old December 13th 05, 04:00 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

wilbed wrote:
> I just purchased this car: it has 76k miles. The throttle 'hangs-up'
> momentarily. It makes it very difficult to change gears, as I must
> delay the shift to allow the RPMs to drop. (If it was carburated, I'd
> say the throttle return spring was weak.) A receipt came with the car
> showing that the Mass Air Flow Sensor had been replaced, so I don't
> know if someone was attempting to troubleshoot this problem or not. In
> all other respects, this car idles and runs excellent. Any ideas/help
> is most appreciated.

If it's like some of the other small sixes, there's a bellcrank between
the throttle cable and the throttle body (spring in back of it). That
bellcrank rides on a bushing that binds after a while. I usually unbolt
them, slide them out a bit and put some white lithium grease on the shaft.
Old December 13th 05, 04:10 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Thanks for answering. I'll give it a try first thing tomorrow.