Slower traffic: keep one lane left of the right lane

Old December 18th 13, 01:47 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Arif Khokar

Default Slower traffic: keep one lane left of the right lane

On 12/18/2013 03:52 AM, Alan Baker wrote:
> On 2013-12-18 04:47:39 +0000, Arif Khokar said:

>> When approaching an interchange, just maintain a constant speed and
>> let the merger figure out how to position their vehicle to merge.

> Sorry, but I don't put my safety into the hands of others when I can
> possibly avoid it.
>
> That's why I'll move one lane to the left if there is anyone whose entry
> to the highway could potentially cause me trouble.

As long as you don't interfere with someone in the process of passing
you at the time, that's your prerogative.
Old December 18th 13, 01:50 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Arif Khokar

On 12/18/2013 07:34 AM, Sancho Panza wrote:
> On 12/18/2013 3:52 AM, Alan Baker wrote:
>> On 2013-12-18 04:47:39 +0000, Arif Khokar said:

>>> When approaching an interchange, just maintain a constant speed and
>>> let the merger figure out how to position their vehicle to merge.

>> Sorry, but I don't put my safety into the hands of others when I can
>> possibly avoid it.
>>
>> That's why I'll move one lane to the left if there is anyone whose entry
>> to the highway could potentially cause me trouble.

> If that wasteful maneuver is not conducted at speed, you are raising the
> risk of more accidents. Just what is the problem with slowing down?

Slowing down makes it more difficult for me to merge behind you. When
I'm the one preparing to merge, I pick a car in the right lane that's
not being tailgated and adjust my speed such that I can catch up to it
and merge right behind it. If you see me and start slowing down, that's
going to make it a bit harder for me to do that.
Old December 18th 13, 02:48 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Sancho Panza[_1_]

On 12/18/2013 8:50 AM, Arif Khokar wrote:
> On 12/18/2013 07:34 AM, Sancho Panza wrote:

>>> Sorry, but I don't put my safety into the hands of others when I can
>>> possibly avoid it.
>>>
>>> That's why I'll move one lane to the left if there is anyone whose entry
>>> to the highway could potentially cause me trouble.

>> If that wasteful maneuver is not conducted at speed, you are raising the
>> risk of more accidents. Just what is the problem with slowing down?

> Slowing down makes it more difficult for me to merge behind you. When
> I'm the one preparing to merge, I pick a car in the right lane that's
> not being tailgated and adjust my speed such that I can catch up to it
> and merge right behind it. If you see me and start slowing down, that's
> going to make it a bit harder for me to do that.

That is doable in some situations. But a lot trickier in dense traffic.

---

Old December 18th 13, 02:50 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Sancho Panza[_1_]

Old December 18th 13, 02:51 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Sancho Panza[_1_]

Old December 18th 13, 06:27 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Alan Baker

On 2013-12-18 13:47:11 +0000, Arif Khokar said:

> On 12/18/2013 03:52 AM, Alan Baker wrote:
>> On 2013-12-18 04:47:39 +0000, Arif Khokar said:

>>> When approaching an interchange, just maintain a constant speed and
>>> let the merger figure out how to position their vehicle to merge.

>> Sorry, but I don't put my safety into the hands of others when I can
>> possibly avoid it.
>>
>> That's why I'll move one lane to the left if there is anyone whose entry
>> to the highway could potentially cause me trouble.

> As long as you don't interfere with someone in the process of passing
> you at the time, that's your prerogative.

That should go without saying.

Old December 18th 13, 07:13 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent[_4_]

http://www.eternal-september.org/ instead of using the crap
>> Google groups interface.

>>> Then none of them should be driving.
>>>
>>> It's called "flash to pass".

>> What you wrote in the post that Harry K responded to was:
>>
>>> #1. If I am approaching onramp(one-quarter to one-eighth mile before
>>> it) and vehicle is ahead of me in said onramp making good speed, I
>>> shall flick my highbeams for them to proceed into highway.

>> If you're using your flash-to-pass feature to indicate that someone
>> should merge onto the highway, then you're misusing the feature. The
>> merger may interpret your signal that you're going to pass him and he
>> has to slow down and merge behind you, or that you're a jerk and are
>> speeding up to prevent his merge.
>>
>> The flash-to-pass feature is used to indicate to the driver ahead of
>> you that you intend to pass and that they should move out of the
>> passing lane. It's not supposed to be used to indicate that you intend
>> to let the driver merge in front of you.
>>
>> When approaching an interchange, just maintain a constant speed and let
>> the merger figure out how to position their vehicle to merge.

> Sorry, but I don't put my safety into the hands of others when I can
> possibly avoid it.

Most lazy drivers are just lazy, not suicidal. Thus not showing them a
reaction prevents them from doing what would bring about a collision.
When I stopped having any reaction they could see, the less idiocy they
did.

> That's why I'll move one lane to the left if there is anyone whose
> entry to the highway could potentially cause me trouble.

IME those who move over largely put their safety in the hands of the
drivers already there and passing. Also moving over a lane just
encourages the idiot to merge two lanes in IME. He wants to be in the
left lane anyway and by moving over I showed that I see him and would
accomodate him so he cuts in front of me.

Old December 18th 13, 08:21 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Alan Baker

On 2013-12-18 19:13:59 +0000, Brent said:

> On 2013-12-18, Alan Baker > wrote:
>> On 2013-12-18 04:47:39 +0000, Arif Khokar said:
>>
>>> On 12/17/2013 04:28 PM, wrote:
>>> [Correcting post format because you can't be bothered to use a
>>> newsreader that works properly].
>>>
>>> Get a real newsreader program like Thunderbird and sign up for a free
>>> account on
http://www.eternal-september.org/ instead of using the crap
>>> Google groups interface.

>>> If you're using your flash-to-pass feature to indicate that someone
>>> should merge onto the highway, then you're misusing the feature. The
>>> merger may interpret your signal that you're going to pass him and he
>>> has to slow down and merge behind you, or that you're a jerk and are
>>> speeding up to prevent his merge.
>>>
>>> The flash-to-pass feature is used to indicate to the driver ahead of
>>> you that you intend to pass and that they should move out of the
>>> passing lane. It's not supposed to be used to indicate that you intend
>>> to let the driver merge in front of you.
>>>
>>> When approaching an interchange, just maintain a constant speed and let
>>> the merger figure out how to position their vehicle to merge.

>> Sorry, but I don't put my safety into the hands of others when I can
>> possibly avoid it.

> Most lazy drivers are just lazy, not suicidal. Thus not showing them a
> reaction prevents them from doing what would bring about a collision.
> When I stopped having any reaction they could see, the less idiocy they
> did.

So you think the best way to ensure your safety is to HOPE the other
driver doesn't get it wrong?

>> That's why I'll move one lane to the left if there is anyone whose
>> entry to the highway could potentially cause me trouble.

> IME those who move over largely put their safety in the hands of the
> drivers already there and passing. Also moving over a lane just
> encourages the idiot to merge two lanes in IME. He wants to be in the
> left lane anyway and by moving over I showed that I see him and would
> accomodate him so he cuts in front of me.

I find it hilarious that on the one hand you'll insist that I needn't
move over because you have such faith in the other driver who's merging
into my lane...

....while not also applying the same faith to me in my lane change,
which is by its nature taking place between vehicles moving at a very
similar speed; something which too often cannot be said about the
person merging into highway traffic.

Old December 18th 13, 10:00 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent[_4_]

On 2013-12-18, Alan Baker > wrote:
> On 2013-12-18 19:13:59 +0000, Brent said:

http://www.eternal-september.org/ instead of using the crap

>>> Sorry, but I don't put my safety into the hands of others when I can
>>> possibly avoid it.

>> Most lazy drivers are just lazy, not suicidal. Thus not showing them a
>> reaction prevents them from doing what would bring about a collision.
>> When I stopped having any reaction they could see, the less idiocy they
>> did.

> So you think the best way to ensure your safety is to HOPE the other
> driver doesn't get it wrong?

There's no hope involved. I am fully aware of him and ready to take
action to avoid him. I just don't let him know it,doing so is an
engraved invitation for him to cut me off from his POV.

>>> That's why I'll move one lane to the left if there is anyone whose
>>> entry to the highway could potentially cause me trouble.

>> IME those who move over largely put their safety in the hands of the
>> drivers already there and passing. Also moving over a lane just
>> encourages the idiot to merge two lanes in IME. He wants to be in the
>> left lane anyway and by moving over I showed that I see him and would
>> accomodate him so he cuts in front of me.

> I find it hilarious that on the one hand you'll insist that I needn't
> move over because you have such faith in the other driver who's merging
> into my lane...

I don't and it's hilarious you think I do.

> ...while not also applying the same faith to me in my lane change,
> which is by its nature taking place between vehicles moving at a very
> similar speed; something which too often cannot be said about the
> person merging into highway traffic.

I didn't put any faith or lack there of in your lane change. However
I also have to watch the ramps if I am in the 2nd lane from the right
because drivers who make way for mergers usually demand others make way
for their merges and lane changes too. Speed usually doesn't matter and
these idiots usually are braking as they move over to let the merger in.

My view is that fundamentally the north american driver is a lazy ****
who doesn't want to put any effort into driving. If I show them I will
cater to their laziness, they will take full advantage of it, putting
my safety at risk. Thus I do not.Ever see a left turn conga line? When
does it stop? With a left turner who isn't an asshole or someone going
straight from the other side has the balls to just go. These lazy
jackasses take as much as they think they can get. Until someone doesn't
cater to them.

Old December 18th 13, 10:00 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
harry k

On Tuesday, December 17, 2013 1:28:04 PM UTC-8, wrote:
> Harry K wrote "- show quoted text -

> "As for fliking your lights, there isn't one person out there in a thousand that would have a clue about what you are doing.

> Harry K "

> Then none of them should be driving.

IME at least 60% of the people on the road shouldn't be driving.

> It's called "flash to pass". Three or so quick flicks of the high beams registers in the minds of most responsible drivers who are paying attention.

True, now you have to get over the idea that most people out there are responsible - they arent' and most have never heard of it or did in driver's ed and promptly forgot it.

In the instance I was responding to it wasn't eve=n "flash to pass" but "flash to let someone know they are clear to pull in." I use it when truckers pass me as they are about the only ones who know about it.

> And again, my attention is focused wayyy more ahead of me than just the vehicle I'm following. Imagine... Everyone focusing 1/4mile ahead, and mirrors set BGE? What a wonderful world....

Same here but you better get used to the idea that most drivers out there focus on the bumper just ahead of them.

Harry K