Mystery Solved

Old July 6th 10, 11:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Mystery Solved

I feel somewhat foolish on this one, but will tell on myself in the
hope that others may avoid the problems I've experienced.

I couldn't find a PS Mount bracket locally, and was eventually
directed to the great online Jeep store, JWJeep.com. Not only did
they have the major mount bracket, but questioned me on whether or not
I needed either of the TWO other brackets on the PS Pump?? The JW
Jeep technician was kind enough to email me a parts diagram for the
pump mount bracket assembly.

There is another small bracket behind (toward rear of Jeep) the pump
and a rather large eliptical bracket with two bolt guides in front of
the pump. I was missing both of the other brackets, and I can tell
just by looking at the long front bracket that it is intended to
stablize the pump and eliminate vibration. The pump is mounted with a
long moment arm on the primary engine bracket, and if allowed to
vibrate with, say, a slightly out-of-balance pully, would fatigue the
mount bracket right above the engine block attachment bolts. That's
where both of mine failed.

Thanks to all who responded to my posted cries for help on this.
Old July 7th 10, 12:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

randallbrink wrote:
> I feel somewhat foolish on this one, but will tell on myself in the
> hope that others may avoid the problems I've experienced.
>
> I couldn't find a PS Mount bracket locally, and was eventually
> directed to the great online Jeep store, JWJeep.com. Not only did
> they have the major mount bracket, but questioned me on whether or not
> I needed either of the TWO other brackets on the PS Pump?? The JW
> Jeep technician was kind enough to email me a parts diagram for the
> pump mount bracket assembly.
>
> There is another small bracket behind (toward rear of Jeep) the pump
> and a rather large eliptical bracket with two bolt guides in front of
> the pump. I was missing both of the other brackets, and I can tell
> just by looking at the long front bracket that it is intended to
> stablize the pump and eliminate vibration. The pump is mounted with a
> long moment arm on the primary engine bracket, and if allowed to
> vibrate with, say, a slightly out-of-balance pully, would fatigue the
> mount bracket right above the engine block attachment bolts. That's
> where both of mine failed.

Interesting that the other brakets were missing. Makes me wonder why?

--
DougW

Old July 7th 10, 02:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
RoyJ[_2_]

DougW wrote:
> randallbrink wrote:
>> I feel somewhat foolish on this one, but will tell on myself in the
>> hope that others may avoid the problems I've experienced.
>>
>> I couldn't find a PS Mount bracket locally, and was eventually
>> directed to the great online Jeep store, JWJeep.com. Not only did
>> they have the major mount bracket, but questioned me on whether or not
>> I needed either of the TWO other brackets on the PS Pump?? The JW
>> Jeep technician was kind enough to email me a parts diagram for the
>> pump mount bracket assembly.
>>
>> There is another small bracket behind (toward rear of Jeep) the pump
>> and a rather large eliptical bracket with two bolt guides in front of
>> the pump. I was missing both of the other brackets, and I can tell
>> just by looking at the long front bracket that it is intended to
>> stablize the pump and eliminate vibration. The pump is mounted with a
>> long moment arm on the primary engine bracket, and if allowed to
>> vibrate with, say, a slightly out-of-balance pully, would fatigue the
>> mount bracket right above the engine block attachment bolts. That's
>> where both of mine failed.

> Interesting that the other brakets were missing. Makes me wonder why?

The usual case for such things is that the original brackets showed up
in early production, the others were added in later production or when a
customer complained. Since it wasn't safety related, no recall.
Old July 7th 10, 04:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

On Jul 6, 4:14*pm, "DougW" > wrote:
> randallbrink wrote:
> > I feel somewhat foolish on this one, but will tell on myself in the
> > hope that others may avoid the problems I've experienced.

> > I couldn't find a PS Mount bracket locally, and was eventually
> > directed to the great online Jeep store, JWJeep.com. *Not only did
> > they have the major mount bracket, but questioned me on whether or not
> > I needed either of the TWO other brackets on the PS Pump?? *The JW
> > Jeep technician was kind enough to email me a parts diagram for the
> > pump mount bracket assembly.

> > There is another small bracket behind (toward rear of Jeep) the pump
> > and a rather large eliptical bracket with two bolt guides in front of
> > the pump. *I was missing both of the other brackets, and I can tell
> > just by looking at the long front bracket that it is intended to
> > stablize the pump and eliminate vibration. *The pump is mounted with a
> > long moment arm on the primary engine bracket, and if allowed to
> > vibrate with, say, a slightly out-of-balance pully, would fatigue the
> > mount bracket right above the engine block attachment bolts. *That's
> > where both of mine failed.

> Interesting that the other brakets were missing. *Makes me wonder why?
>
> --
> DougW- Hide quoted text -

It makes me wonder too, but the only plausible theory is that they
were simply left off, which led to the first failure of the bracket,
and because they were not there, I took no notice of them (I wan't
referring to a part's diagram for that replacement) and re-installed
the bracket, also without the critical extra support. Because of the
large lever arm between the main bracket bolts and the pully, it's now
easy to see how, under the stress of a tight full-wheel turn, the
bracket would snap.
Old July 7th 10, 04:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

On Jul 6, 6:23*pm, RoyJ > wrote:
> DougW wrote:
> > randallbrink wrote:
> >> I feel somewhat foolish on this one, but will tell on myself in the
> >> hope that others may avoid the problems I've experienced.

> >> I couldn't find a PS Mount bracket locally, and was eventually
> >> directed to the great online Jeep store, JWJeep.com. *Not only did
> >> they have the major mount bracket, but questioned me on whether or not
> >> I needed either of the TWO other brackets on the PS Pump?? *The JW
> >> Jeep technician was kind enough to email me a parts diagram for the
> >> pump mount bracket assembly.

> >> There is another small bracket behind (toward rear of Jeep) the pump
> >> and a rather large eliptical bracket with two bolt guides in front of
> >> the pump. *I was missing both of the other brackets, and I can tell
> >> just by looking at the long front bracket that it is intended to
> >> stablize the pump and eliminate vibration. *The pump is mounted with a
> >> long moment arm on the primary engine bracket, and if allowed to
> >> vibrate with, say, a slightly out-of-balance pully, would fatigue the
> >> mount bracket right above the engine block attachment bolts. *That'sduring
> >> where both of mine failed.

> > Interesting that the other brakets were missing. *Makes me wonder why?

> The usual case for such things is that the original brackets showed up
> in early production, the others were added in later production or when a
> customer complained. Since it wasn't safety related, no recall.- Hide quoted text -

Makes sense. And apparently got left off during a pump or mount
bracket replacement.
Old July 7th 10, 12:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

randallbrink wrote:
> On Jul 6, 6:23 pm, RoyJ wrote:
>> DougW wrote:

>>> Interesting that the other brakets were missing. Makes me wonder
>>> why?

>> The usual case for such things is that the original brackets showed
>> up
>> in early production, the others were added in later production or
>> when a
>> customer complained. Since it wasn't safety related, no recall.-

> Makes sense. And apparently got left off during a pump or mount
> bracket replacement.

One of those, "Wonder what these extra parts are for?" moments.

Thats why I love my cheap ass digital camera so dearly.

--
DougW

Old July 7th 10, 03:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

On Jul 7, 4:24*am, "DougW" > wrote:
> randallbrink wrote:

> >> The usual case for such things is that the original brackets showed
> >> up
> >> in early production, the others were added in later production or
> >> when a
> >> customer complained. Since it wasn't safety related, no recall.-

> > Makes sense. *And apparently got left off during a pump or mount
> > bracket replacement.

> One of those, "Wonder what these extra parts are for?" moments.
>
> Thats why I love my cheap ass digital camera so dearly.
>
> --
> DougW- Hide quoted text -

Well, there were no extra parts, or else I would have immediately
known what was amiss. Seeing the diagram with the parts present
illustrated was what enabled me to clear up the question of what was
missing.

Oil Filter Mystery Solved [email protected] Jeep 3 November 5th 09 03:22 AM
Leroy's mystery car; solved! [1/1] Leroy Curtis Car Show Photos 4 August 17th 08 11:58 PM
TPMS Mystery Solved! alfred[_3_] Honda 9 February 2nd 08 11:41 AM
Mazda Mystery Bolt Solved Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B Technology 2 September 23rd 07 01:10 AM
neon fan mystery solved Robbie and Laura Reynolds Chrysler 0 November 10th 05 02:20 AM