impact wrenches and air compressors

Old October 2nd 08, 12:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default impact wrenches and air compressors

how do the spec-s of an air impact wrench relate to the air
compressor?
i need to loosen a crankshaft pulley bolt that is torqued at 134 ft-
lb. on a 1998 honda civic LX. i have a sears craftsman 1.5hp 4-
gallon @90psi air compressor. i don't yet
have an air impact wrench. what should i look for in terms of psi
when i go to buy one, such that i can use that air compressor to drive
the impact wrench to loosen the bolt? tia.
Old October 3rd 08, 12:23 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

I have loosened up and removed one or two crankshaft pulleys before with
a 3/4 '' breaker bar and a big hammer or a 3/4 '' breaker bar and a
cheater pipe.No impact wrenches needed.That was on vehicles with manual
shift transmissions.
Cheater pipes Rule!
cuhulin

Old October 3rd 08, 04:57 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve B.

On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 02:12:46 +0000 (UTC), Tegger >
wrote:

>> They stretch the truth a bit I think.. those bolts are in there with a
>> lot more than an 134fl-lbs of torque.

>No they are not.

Sure seems like they are. I've tightened back to spec and it's no
where near what it took to get the damn thing loose.

>> You are going to need a 3/4
>> drive to get it off most likely.

>No. A 1/2" drive DeWalt DW-293 325 ft/lb electric impact wrench takes it
>off easily.

I think I'll save the $178 and just pay the guy $20 to bust it loose
for me. I never met an electric impact wrench I was impressed with.
Old October 3rd 08, 01:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_2_]

Steve B. > wrote in news:um5be4tr6b8mad1r3mi6rnk7sa734ja3nv@
4ax.com:

> On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 02:12:46 +0000 (UTC), Tegger >
> wrote:
>
>>> They stretch the truth a bit I think.. those bolts are in there with a
>>> lot more than an 134fl-lbs of torque.

>>No they are not.
>>

> Sure seems like they are. I've tightened back to spec and it's no
> where near what it took to get the damn thing loose.

You're absolutely right. And here's a Honda document explaining why:
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/cranktool/A930200.pdf

>>> You are going to need a 3/4
>>> drive to get it off most likely.

>>No. A 1/2" drive DeWalt DW-293 325 ft/lb electric impact wrench takes it
>>off easily.

> I think I'll save the $178 and just pay the guy $20 to bust it loose
> for me. I never met an electric impact wrench I was impressed with.

I'm certainly impressed with mine. For me it's ideal because there's no way
I can have a compressor where I live. And it's available at any time,
without having to drive to a garage.

Its only drawbacks are size (a foot long) and weight (five pounds). I can
use it on any bolt where I have room, which means such nasties as crank
bolts and (corroded) suspension bolts. Its bulk does make it useless in
tight quarters. And it's never failed to get any bolt loose that I've ever
been able to directly attack.

--
Tegger

Old October 14th 08, 07:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

wrote:
> how do the spec-s of an air impact wrench relate to the air
> compressor?
> i need to loosen a crankshaft pulley bolt that is torqued at 134 ft-
> lb. on a 1998 honda civic LX. i have a sears craftsman 1.5hp 4-
> gallon @90psi air compressor. i don't yet
> have an air impact wrench. what should i look for in terms of psi
> when i go to buy one, such that i can use that air compressor to drive
> the impact wrench to loosen the bolt? tia.

Pressure matters less than volume. Most impact wrenches (most air tools
PERIOD) are designed to work fine as long as you can give them 80 PSI.

Volume is another story- your compressor needs to be able to keep the
tank pressurized as you use the tool. Impact wrenches aren't very
demanding because you use them in short bursts, and even a very small
compressor can re-fill the tank between bursts. Just don't try to make
like a NACAR tire changer and whip 10 lugs on and off in less than 13
seconds...

The most demanding air tool in my kit is the smallest one- the cut-off
wheel. Since it spins at high speed and is constant use, it keeps my
5-horse compressor running about 80% of the time. On the other hand, I
can change 2 tires with the impact wrench just with a portable 11-gallon
air tank filled to 120PSI and no compressor at all.