92 Accord LX parking lights remain on

Old October 24th 04, 01:13 AM
Andy M - Tampa Bay

Default 92 Accord LX parking lights remain on

Have a problem with my 92 Accord LX. Rear parking lights and brake lights
(excuse my beginner's terminology) remain on all the time and won't go off.
Even if the car is off, keys are out, the lights remain on. I've tried to
pull the brake pedal out a bit, and also tried pushing it in all the way.
Either way, those rear lights don't turn off. I've checked fuses, they're
all right. Sounds the a relay is stuck, but don't know where it is located.
Would really appreciate help on this, any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Andy M - Tampa Bay

Old October 25th 04, 06:36 AM
Randolph

Andy M - Tampa Bay wrote:

> Have a problem with my 92 Accord LX. Rear parking lights and brake lights
> (excuse my beginner's terminology) remain on all the time and won't go off.
> Even if the car is off, keys are out, the lights remain on. I've tried to
> pull the brake pedal out a bit, and also tried pushing it in all the way.
> Either way, those rear lights don't turn off. I've checked fuses, they're
> all right. Sounds the a relay is stuck, but don't know where it is located.
> Would really appreciate help on this, any suggestions welcome. Thanks.
>
> Andy M - Tampa Bay

The brake light circuit does not have a relay. Most likely the problem
is with the brake pedal switch. Normally, with the brake pedal at rest,
the plunger on the switch is pressed in by the pedal. When you step on
the brake pedal, the switch plunger is released. If the switch have come
loose, it could be that the pedal just does not push in the plunger far
enough to turn off the brake lights. See
http://www.geocities.com/ng_randolph...edalswitch.pdf for how
to test the switch if you have cruise control. If you do not have
cruise, the switch will have only two pins. In that case there will be
contact with the switch at rest, no contact with the switch depressed.

Are you absolutely certain that the parking lights are on also? Often
the parking lights use the same bulbs as the brake lights, (the bulbs
have two filaments) so it is virtually impossible to tell if the parking
lights are on if the brake light are on.
Old October 25th 04, 03:16 PM
Andy M - Tampa Bay

"Randolph" > wrote in message

> Andy M - Tampa Bay wrote:
>>
>> Have a problem with my 92 Accord LX. Rear parking lights and brake lights
>> (excuse my beginner's terminology) remain on all the time and won't go
>> off.
>> Even if the car is off, keys are out, the lights remain on. I've tried to
>> pull the brake pedal out a bit, and also tried pushing it in all the way.
>> Either way, those rear lights don't turn off. I've checked fuses, they're
>> all right. Sounds the a relay is stuck, but don't know where it is
>> located.
>> Would really appreciate help on this, any suggestions welcome. Thanks.
>>
>> Andy M - Tampa Bay

> The brake light circuit does not have a relay. Most likely the problem
> is with the brake pedal switch. Normally, with the brake pedal at rest,
> the plunger on the switch is pressed in by the pedal. When you step on
> the brake pedal, the switch plunger is released. If the switch have come
> loose, it could be that the pedal just does not push in the plunger far
> enough to turn off the brake lights. See
> http://www.geocities.com/ng_randolph...edalswitch.pdf for how
> to test the switch if you have cruise control. If you do not have
> cruise, the switch will have only two pins. In that case there will be
> contact with the switch at rest, no contact with the switch depressed.
>
> Are you absolutely certain that the parking lights are on also? Often
> the parking lights use the same bulbs as the brake lights, (the bulbs
> have two filaments) so it is virtually impossible to tell if the parking
> lights are on if the brake light are on.

thanks dude, but i found out the problem. it was a broken rubber piece that
is supposed to touch the stop light switch to shut off the brake lights.
went to advance auto parts to find a replacement, but was told that i'll
have to go to a dealer. meanwhile, read on a web forum that you can
superglue a penny. tried that, and works great. thanks for your help though.

i was wrong, it was only brake lights that remained on, not parking lights.