Chyrsler 3.0 minivan stalling

Old January 10th 05, 03:01 AM
James

Default Chyrsler 3.0 minivan stalling

My parents have a 1994 Plymouth Grand Voyager. It's got the 3.0 liter
engine, automatic 145,000 miles.

The other day my mother said the van was stalling on her. I drove it
and sure enough it stalled on me. It did this at cruise on flat land,
not under acceleration. But she said it did stall on here while going
up a slight incline.

Not only that but it stalls when I try to start it but only when it's
at normal operating temperature. However if I pump the accelerator
before giving it a chance to stall, it will keep running.

So far I haven't been able to get the engine to stall when cold, so
I'm assuming this problem only occurs when the engine is warm.

When the engine stalls, the check engine check light does not come on.
I checked to see if the computer was storing any codes by cutting the
ignition switch on and off. The guy at Autzone said it was not storing
any codes.

It seems to mean like there is a vacuum leak so I wiggled ever hose I
could find trying to make the engine stall but it kept running. All of
the hoses are in good shape.

But I was able to make it stall but snapping the throttle when the
engine was idling.

The only thing unusual I found was where something had built a nest
inside the air cleaner. I pulled the air filter and the fins were
blinded over with strips of paper and grass.

I started the engine without the filter to see if this made a
difference but the van stil wants to stall when trying to start the
engine. Unless I pump the accelerator.

I would think if the air filter was blinded over to that point the
engine wouldn't have any power. Yet I couldn't tell it was running any
different.

I'd like to know if there is possibilty I've located the problem but
the computer has learned a memory from running with this clogged air
cleaner and that's why the engine still wants to stall.

Can I clear the computer by disconnecting the battery for about 30
minutes?

Would a clogged air cleaner even store a code in the computer?

A guy at work says it's a possiblity the oxygen sensor is bad. Even
though the computer says there is nothing wrong with it.

Any chance this is the culprit since the engine only wants to stall
when warm?

Old January 10th 05, 03:36 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005, James wrote:

> My parents have a 1994 Plymouth Grand Voyager. It's got the 3.0 liter
> engine, automatic 145,000 miles. The other day my mother said the van
> was stalling on her. I drove it and sure enough it stalled on me. It did
> this at cruise on flat land, not under acceleration. But she said it did
> stall on here while going up a slight incline. Not only that but it
> stalls when I try to start it but only when it's at normal operating
> temperature. However if I pump the accelerator before giving it a chance
> to stall, it will keep running. When the engine stalls, the check engine
> check light does not come on. I checked to see if the computer was
> storing any codes by cutting the ignition switch on and off.

Did you do it right? The correct sequence is On-Off-On-Off-On.

> But I was able to make it stall but snapping the throttle when the
> engine was idling.

See below.

> Can I clear the computer by disconnecting the battery for about 30
> minutes?

2 minutes will do it. But check the codes *correctly* first.

> Would a clogged air cleaner even store a code in the computer?

No.

> A guy at work says it's a possiblity the oxygen sensor is bad. Even
> though the computer says there is nothing wrong with it.

It's entirely possible the O2S is past due for replacement, but it's not
causing your stalling.

The 3-litre V6 tends to dirty-up the throttle body and AIS motor (IAC),
which causes stalling, low idle and other driveability quirks. If you
cannot remember the last time the throttle body was thoroughly serviced
(T-body removed from intake, AIS motor removed from T-body, both parts
thoroughly cleaned and reinstalled with new gaskets) you're probably
overdue.

The 3-litre V6 is also very sensitive to the condition of the crankcase
ventillation system. Not just the PCV valve, but the crankcase inlet air
filters (both of them) and the hoses and fittings. Any broken, cracked or
clogged parts can cause improper idle and stalling. It's very common for
this system to be ignored, or at best just the PCV valve replaced. Here
again, if you cannot remember the last time the entire crankcase
ventillation system was inspected and serviced, you're probably overdue.

The '94 vans with 3.0 V6 were available with two different transmissions:
3-speed auto (shift indicator says P R N D 2 1) and 4-speed auto (shift
indicator says P R N D 3 L). If you are fortunate enough to have a
van with the more reliable 3-speed, a failing vehicle speed/distance
sensor can cause stalling of this nature, and is easy and inexpensive to
replace.

Of course, you cannot expect the car to run properly unless the wear parts
(spark plugs, plug wires, air and fuel filters, distributor cap and rotor)
are in good condition, and the ignition timing is set correctly! Given the
sorry condition you found the air filter in, it sounds as though it's past
time for some routine maintenance.

DS (and since we're on the topic, how long *has* it been since the O2S was
replaced? Remember, use a Mopar, NTK, Echlin or BlueStreak, but not a
Bosch.)
Old January 10th 05, 04:59 AM
James

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 22:36:51 -0500, "Daniel J. Stern"
> wrote:

>The 3-litre V6 tends to dirty-up the throttle body and AIS motor (IAC),
>which causes stalling, low idle and other driveability quirks. If you
>cannot remember the last time the throttle body was thoroughly serviced
>(T-body removed from intake, AIS motor removed from T-body, both parts
>thoroughly cleaned and reinstalled with new gaskets) you're probably
>overdue.

Thanks for your reply.

As far as I know, the throttle body/PVC system has never been serviced
on this vehicle. My parent's are always on the go so this van and it's
lucky if it get's it's oil changed every 5000 miles.

I can say that I replaced the spark plugs back in 2001 about 35,000
miles ago. Gosh has it been that long? I only put 35,000 miles on my
Jeep Wrangler in the nine years I owned it!

I'll just tell Dad to take it to the dealership and tell them what you
said about the throttle body and PVC system and give it a 150,000 mile
tune-up.

Old January 10th 05, 05:30 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005, James wrote:

> Thanks for your reply. As far as I know, the throttle body/PVC system
> has never been serviced on this vehicle. My parent's are always on the
> go so this van and it's lucky if it get's it's oil changed every 5000
> miles.

OK, so the general answer to "Why is this van stalling?" is "Gross and
chronic neglect".

> I'll just tell Dad to take it to the dealership and tell them what you
> said about the throttle body and PVC system and give it a 150,000 mile
> tune-up.

He'd do better to find a competent independent mechanic.
Old January 10th 05, 10:29 AM
BBA

> My parents have a 1994 Plymouth Grand Voyager. It's got the 3.0 liter
> engine, automatic 145,000 miles.

Ok - when was the last oil/filter change? You don't mention any vehicle
maintenance!

Vehicle ever under gone any type periodical maintenance - i.e. spark plugs, plug
wires, fuel filter and such were R/R (Remove & Replace)?

If your answer is *no* Then I would recommend that you have your vehicle
serviced by a qualified tech!

Tune-up!!!!

> But I was able to make it stall but snapping the throttle when the
> engine was idling.
>
> The only thing unusual I found was where something had built a nest
> inside the air cleaner. I pulled the air filter and the fins were
> blinded over with strips of paper and grass.
>
> I started the engine without the filter to see if this made a
> difference but the van still wants to stall when trying to start the
> engine. Unless I pump the accelerator.

Can you see through the filter - if not - R/R

> I would think if the air filter was blinded over to that point the
> engine wouldn't have any power. Yet I couldn't tell it was running any
> different.
>
> I'd like to know if there is possibilty I've located the problem but
> the computer has learned a memory from running with this clogged air
> cleaner and that's why the engine still wants to stall.
>
> Can I clear the computer by disconnecting the battery for about 30
> minutes?
>
> Would a clogged air cleaner even store a code in the computer?

No

> A guy at work says it's a possiblity the oxygen sensor is bad. Even
> though the computer says there is nothing wrong with it.
>
> Any chance this is the culprit since the engine only wants to stall
> when warm?

No - how many miles ago was the last O2 Sensor R/R! - Should be R/R every
60,000 - 80,000 miles

When your vehicles engine is in "warm up mode" or "Open Loop". Vehicles engine
is running a bit too rich. To keep engine from stalling. Once warm, engine goes
into "Closed Loop" >> Normal Operation >> Computer is ON and should be working
properly! Do you have a check engine light when you turn the key to the *ON*
position? If the answer is *YES* then your computer is working correctly. -- I
am assuming no one has messed with your vehicles engine/electrical systems other
than an ASE certified tech! -- I say this because Chrysler products are full of
electronic devices. I'd recommend that you do not fool with - even an oil
/filter change could turn into a nightmare - have your parents take it to a
qualified Auto Tech.

I would recommend that if your vehicle has not been service recently - then do
so - the means - replace: fuel filters (2) - spark plugs, plug wires (6) -
air/egr filter - O2 Sensors (2) - Etc

BBA